AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SIIG CE-H20P11-S1 hdmi splitter

When I use it I get no DTS to my receiver, everything else works great.

If I don't use it I get DTS to my receiver.

Anyone know of a cheap splitter that passes EVERYTHING?

Not sure what section to ask this in so if a Mod needs to move this that's OK

Thank you

Jason

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tihnk I figured it out

It is auto-negotiating down to my Pioneer elite plasma

Looks like I will have to run a coax or optical cable to my receiver for audio.

Nuts. A single HDMI is so clean!

Oh well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL another update

After more fiddling I found a menu on the plasma to force digital instead of auto audio input. I've done multiple power cycles of tv and projector and receiver and it seems to be sticking on digital now! YEAH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What are you trying to do run to displays of one Input? and splitting the signal in front of the AVR? I did the same thing but I got a Monoprice powered HDMI pro splitter and put it after the AVR. The AVR serves as a switch on input side then the splitter outputs to both displays. Both Displays have audio when wanted, the AVR handles the surround. Try that, put the splitter after and see what happens.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24457341

What are you trying to do run to displays of one Input? and splitting the signal in front of the AVR? I did the same thing but I got a Monoprice powered HDMI pro splitter and put it after the AVR. The AVR serves as a switch on input side then the splitter outputs to both displays. Both Displays have audio when wanted, the AVR handles the surround. Try that, put the splitter after and see what happens.

If my wife had to figure out (turn on) the AVR to get the TV in her room to work, well, that would be trouble for sure

I see what you are saying and that would work, maybe I will try that with the pass through hdmi then she doesn't have to mess with the AVR.

Hmm, good idea.

Although now it seems to all be working ok feeding 2 devices with 1 DVR, as long as the one TV device I set audio to "digital" instead of "automatic". "Automatic" negotiates the DVR down to stereo. "Digital" leaves the DVR at digital, so, the AVR get's ditital too yay.

So I may not even mess with it more if this keeps working.

Thank you for the idea though, if this messes up again I will just do that (dvr -> avr -> splitter -> TV)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
How I am set up is DVR a DirecTV HR44 in to the AVR using the pass through then to the 2 displays. The thing that allows it to work is the HR44 is controlled by RF and not IF. Plus the AVR passes audio to both displays in stereo at the same time as it outputs 7.1 to the main sound system in the living room theater. My wife is what I call remote changed, she get a little hot when I kid her, and she get along with the setup.

PS both of the TV's are 3D and that works to with the Monoprice splitter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24459434

How I am set up is DVR a DirecTV HR44 in to the AVR using the pass through then to the 2 displays. The thing that allows it to work is the HR44 is controlled by RF and not IF. Plus the AVR passes audio to both displays in stereo at the same time as it outputs 7.1 to the main sound system in the living room theater. My wife is what I call remote changed, she get a little hot when I kid her, and she get along with the setup.

Cool thank you!

Yeah, my wife aims the RF remote at the TV all the time, when, the DVR is actually backward in the basement....

And, the other devices that ARE usin IR remotes, she doesn't aim anywhere after I tell her the DirecTV one is RF and and...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24459434

Another update

The way. Have it the avr randomly negotiates back down to stereo until I power cycle the splitter.

So I will be getting an hdmi cable to move the splitter after the avr. Or adding a coax for sound from the DVR to AVR.

Any preference?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Have the splitter after the AVR. I have it that way, works just fine. I do not know what your AVR is but think they are all about the same. My Onkyo has a set point that turns audio pass through off or on and in on it pass a stereo signal on to the TV's for the one board speakers of the TV with the AVR on. With the AVR off it passes through audio and the video for times we do not want the surround.

One more thing I had the splitter first. We have 3D sets on it with no problem, then upgrading the AVR, the new one has 2 HDMI outputs. Set it up that way. Worked fine until I tuned in to the DirecTV 3D channels and found that to get it to work both set's had to be on, so back to the outboard splitter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24488754

Have the splitter after the AVR. I have it that way, works just fine. I do not know what your AVR is but think they are all about the same. My Onkyo has a set point that turns audio pass through off or on and in on it pass a stereo signal on to the TV's for the one board speakers of the TV with the AVR on. With the AVR off it passes through audio and the video for times we do not want the surround.

One more thing I had the splitter first. We have 3D sets on it with no problem, then upgrading the AVR, the new one has 2 HDMI outputs. Set it up that way. Worked fine until I tuned in to the DirecTV 3D channels and found that to get it to work both set's had to be on, so back to the outboard splitter.

Thank you

I was trying to be cheap and one coax for sound is a lot less money then 2 new 35' hdmi cables (splitter is currently in the basement) but if I am going to have other weird problems in the future with the splitter pre-AVR I will just order the HDMI cables and be done with it.

Thank you,

Jason

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Would it not be simpler to add in an Optical cable between the Source and the AVR and set the Source to HD Video + 2.0 via HDMI and 5.1 via Optical and set the AVR to look at the Optical Input for that Source - that way you can split the Source ahead of the AVR and not require the AVR to be powered on when viewing the Source on the TV.

Joe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24504357

Would it not be simpler to add in an Optical cable between the Source and the AVR and set the Source to HD Video + 2.0 via HDMI and 5.1 via Optical and set the AVR to look at the Optical Input for that Source - that way you can split the Source ahead of the AVR and not require the AVR to be powered on when viewing the Source on the TV.

Joe.

Possibly

My receiver doesn't have to be on though, even off it passes through the hdmi so I should be OK either way

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
‘even off it passes through the hdmi so I should be OK either way’ – I’ll bet you change your mind when you get that first ‘it’s not working’ call due to the ‘wrong’ Source being pre-selected for HDMI Standby Passthru

Joe

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24508513

‘even off it passes through the hdmi so I should be OK either way’ – I’ll bet you change your mind when you get that first ‘it’s not working’ call due to the ‘wrong’ Source being pre-selected for HDMI Standby Passthru

Joe

I really need this as simple as possible. I'm already meeting great resistance as to why wifey can't just push "on" and have everything work no matter what she wants to watch.

Separate remote for volume, projector, is bad enough. never mind selecting sources at all... argh

So the simplest is just dvr hdmi -> receiver combined with coax from dvr -> receiver, assign the coax input, then after receiver -> hdmi splitter -> proejctre/TV ?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I’d be concentrating on Source (DVR) > Splitter > Output A > Primary Input on the Boss’s TV (with the TV set to Auto select that Input from Power On/Standby)

Then take Output B of the Splitter (+ an Optical or Coaxial for Digital audio) to the AVR for your viewing 

I’m assuming that 'your' viewing will always be via the AVR/PJ and its really only the DVR required on the TV!

Joe

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24524609

I’d be concentrating on Source (DVR) > Splitter > Output A > Primary Input on the Boss’s TV (with the TV set to Auto select that Input from Power On/Standby)

Then take Output B of the Splitter (+ an Optical or Coaxial for Digital audio) to the AVR for your viewing 

I’m assuming that 'your' viewing will always be via the AVR/PJ and its really only the DVR required on the TV!

Joe

I did this and can't get any Dolby digital now

I have Output B of the Splitter (+ an Optical or Coaxial for Digital audio) to the AVR

I've assigned the coax digital in on the avr to the cab/sat hdmi port

And only get stereo.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok no matter how many times I go into the Denon menu and assigne Coax input to cab/sat input HDMI, it does NOT come in dolby digital. But, as soon as I plug the hdmi cable from the DVR direct into the AVR *boom* dolby digital.

So I have moved the splitter after the receiver. This introduces a new problem. Audio is NOT passed through the HDMI out on the DVR ever. The AVR wants to do the audio, so, with the TV being in a different room this is not good!

So I now have:

DVR Source -> Denon AVR-e400 yay: dolby digital!

Then from the Denon HDMI output -> Splitter outputs going to:

1) Projector

2) Pioneer Elite Plasma in a different room boo: no audio!

If the AVR was on, the Pioneer TV would get no sound via HDMI, only video. Very frustrating. IF I set the output to TV, then, when going back in the projector room, I would have no sound there. Not a big deal for me, but, try to train the family to set the sound each time they change rooms. Hah!

And then a solution!

In the Denon AVR I went to video, HDMI settings, Audio Pass Through and turned it on. This next part is important: I set the audio pass-through source to be "LAST". Now, if I wan to watch TV in the other room, have to turn the AVR on, select the source I want to watch (Blu-ray, dvr, whatever), then turn the AVR back off. Now the HDMI Audio pass-through lets video AND audio go to the Pioneer Plasma in the other room, no issues!

To clean it up I just ordered a Harmony Ultimate remote, and will program buttons that say "Watch Blu-Ray on TV" or "Watch DVR on TV" or "Watch Apple TV on TV" etc. that will have a macro that turns on the AVR, select source, and immediately turn off AVR, so the hdmi audio pass through works.

The only issue with above setup is you can only use the TV or Projector+AVR one at a time.

The BONUS of above setup is now I can watch any source that's in my cabinet on the TV too!

I find it highly annoying that you can't set HDMI Audio to both TV and AVR when the AVR is on. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

This should be simple, but, they have turned it into rocket science. At least I have a "fix" for now, until, I can afford a Denon AX4000 which has separate HDMI out zones. LOL. Why can't they just pass audio? It would make things so simple...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Your 'Fix' may be limiting you when you are listening via the AVR - the reason the AVR cant decode and simultaneously pass audio is more about the limitation of your TV than your AVR.

Unless the TV can decode DD/DTS you can only send it Stereo audio - which is what you are trying to avoid in the Cinema (AVR) zone.

If you have your Source set to Video + 2.0 via HDMI (and the HDMI connected to the AVR HDMI 1 and the AVR set to Through) plus 5.1 via Coax (and the Coax cable connected to the AVR Cbl/Sat socket) you should be good to go - it may be worth resetting the AVR audio assignments to the default!

Joe

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1521618/my-hdmi-splitter-no-dtc#post_24603048

Your 'Fix' may be limiting you when you are listening via the AVR - the reason the AVR cant decode and simultaneously pass audio is more about the limitation of your TV than your AVR.

Unless the TV can decode DD/DTS you can only send it Stereo audio - which is what you are trying to avoid in the Cinema (AVR) zone.

If you have your Source set to Video + 2.0 via HDMI (and the HDMI connected to the AVR HDMI 1 and the AVR set to Through) plus 5.1 via Coax (and the Coax cable connected to the AVR Cbl/Sat socket) you should be good to go - it may be worth resetting the AVR audio assignments to the default!

Joe

Thank you for your help

Sorry I don't understand. The way I tried it the avr will *never* pass audio out on hdmi out as long as the avr is on. It will want to drive the theatre speakers. I have zero option to send sound out hdmi AND the speakers at the same time. It's globally one or the other. Edit: unless it's off, then it passes audio out too.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
'The way I tried it the avr will *never* pass audio out on hdmi out as long as the avr is on' - see that now in the Manual.

The trick here is to get the Optical or Coaxial out of the Source to send 5.1 to the AVR - Pg 97 f the User Manual seems to hold the key to making that work for you.

Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts