AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two Mits sets 46809(wife's set) and 65907. When the promise module comes out this fall, I will upgrade and purchase the Mits D-VHS vcr. At that point I will only be able to record ota. As soon as the new stb's with 1394 (rumored) to be out late '02 or early '03, I will purchase at that time and be able to record satellite.

My costs will be:

Promise module:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
And while one waits for the promise, my library just keeps getting larger with what is proven here today. Promises sometimes get broken. I thought is was supposed to be out in spring was their first Promise?

dave

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think if I was in the mood to spend that kind of cash and I was a recording kind of guy (which I'm not and never have been.. although timeshifting would be nice once in awhile) I'd just go get a W-VHS unit that would work right now with all 3 of my current STB's each from different programming provider that gives me access to basically every national HD channel thats out there OTA or otherwise. Yeah, it might not be as good as a D-VHS unit but it would be fine for my uses. Tapes may be kind of high, but again I wouldnt be taping just for the sake of taping anyway.

No, no 5.1 but alot of movies dont have 5.1 anyway. HDNet doesnt use 5.1 hardly ever (yet), CBS doesnt use 5.1 either. So I'm sure I'd cope.

Regardless, I dont think I'll be dropping 1K in my Mits set which will be 3 years old by the time the module arrives. And besides, it could crash and burn at any time and then I'd have an excuse to get a better set anyway.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just don't understand why people think they should "wait". Wait for what? A $3000 investment will let you record almost everything there is: HBOHD, SHOHD, PBS, and all the network HD. The only thing you can't record is HdNet, but so what. A lot of what is worth archiving on HdNet has been shown on other recordable sources, e.g. Smart Travels.

I now have over 900 tapes, and there's still plenty of new stuff to record. I don't regret a penny of what I've invested.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Amen to gridleak, bb1987, and h20fun.

The whole tape vs disc argument misses the point as well.

VCRs are for TAPING! That is time-shifting and archiving the content of one's own choice.

We are using S-VHS 120 minute=20GB portable media for $3.00 per for chrissakes.

W-VHS--I don't think so!

Media costs are ~ 10x higher, for an unequivocally inferior outcome.

I would venture to guess that virtually NONE of the longtime HD tapers on this forum have any plans to purchase pre-recorded D-Theater content at $30-40 bucks a pop.

I know I don't...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I plan to purchase pre-recorded tapes Todd assuming I dont have already.

And even if I do, if the quality is what I hear it is, I would still replace them.

Cheaper than my laser discs were. I want my T2 in 28 mbps.

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
And while one waits for the promise, my library just keeps getting larger with what is proven here today. Promises sometimes get broken. I thought is was supposed to be out in spring was their first Promise?

dave
Good things come to those who wait. I have no interest in building a library, I only want to record for timeshifting. I only purchase equipment that is from a reputable company with a warranty. Rumors stated that the module was due out in the spring. Mits said their module will be out in the fall.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmitchmd

W-VHS--I don't think so!

Media costs are ~ 10x higher, for an unequivocally inferior outcome.

I would venture to guess that virtually NONE of the longtime HD tapers on this forum have any plans to purchase pre-recorded D-Theater content at $30-40 bucks a pop.

I know I don't...
Hmmm, I'm not sure I follow. On one hand you're worried about an unequivocally inferior outcome, and on the other I trust you tape alot of HBO which has a reduced bit rate and many cropped scope movies unless it happens to be an older 2.35:1 transfer..but then it doesnt have 5.1 And if you're taping Showtime the only way to get anything above an inferior outcome is to limit your taping to 1 or 2 new true HD movies a month, provided it's a movie you even care about. Though I suppose you could tape upconverts too.

But then you have no interest in D-theater which presumably will have the best qualities possible, on over 100 titles or whatever? Not that I have any interest in D-theater either mind you.

I guess when it comes to having movies on tape an inferior outcome is relative?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1

Hmmm, I'm not sure I follow. On one hand you're worried about an unequivocally inferior outcome, and on the other I trust you tape alot of HBO which has a reduced bit rate and many cropped scope movies unless it happens to be an older 2.35:1 transfer..but then it doesnt have 5.1

But then you have no interest in D-theater which presumably will have the best qualities possible, on over 100 titles or whatever? Not that I have any interest in D-theater either mind you.

I guess when it comes to having movies on tape an inferior outcome is relative?

28.2 MB bit rate hype notwithstanding, the reason JVC demo tapes look great is not a result of greater bit rates but rather because they are HD cam sourced.

Examine other HD video-cam sourced content and you'll get the idea.

The Bengal Tiger documentary on HDNet or any of Peter Arnett's segments demonstrate the advantage of HD cam sourced video over film sourced content.

Now film sourced HD can look incredibly crisp as well (that football movie on HBO with Al Pacino as coach), but in general HD-cam sourced content is what really provides that "looking through the window" experience.

I'm sorry, but mediocre retread action flicks just don't light my fire, especially at those prices.

And Dave, you're kidding yourself if you think that replacing any of your titles with D-Theater equivalents will hold out any significant advantage.

As for the # of titles: Many of those folks posting in this thread or on this forum are approaching 1000 titles and counting.

DP1,you go right ahead and enjoy U-571 and Terminator II in all their D-Theater splendor.

The rest of us will try and make ourselves content with Pulp Fiction, LA Confidential, Jackie Brown, Fargo, Beetlejuice, Body Heat and the rest of our allegedly inferior "bit challenged" titles.

·
Premium Member
13,008 Posts
With the proliferation of all the HDTV channels lately, I have found little time to watch my few recordings. They just sit on the shelf, mostly unwatched except for a few that I have gone back to for a repeat showing like Startrek and other scifi stuff and a few others. There is more to life than watching movies eventhough I really enjoy a good movie more than any other form of HT entertainment. For me, having the ability to record and save a movie is what's important, not collecting huge numbers of tapes in the archive.

When I first began this taping for a home HDTV library, I was concerned that Hollywood (AKA MPAA)would win the battle against the human race and outlaw HDTV by refusing to sell or license their movies for HDTV but in the last year I have come to realize how silly this scenario is. HDTV proliferation is inevitable and there fore I have evolved my library into a new form of archiving a "contemporary" and "limited "classics" collection that tops out by the number capacity of my current shelving for practical reasons.

What I am doing is still recording most new movies and putting them in a buffer zone to see if they seem important enough to save for longer periods of time. Most don't make it! But, if I see a sequel and have the first I will probably save it, like a StarTrek series in HDTV or DieHard series, etc. I also will never erase and reuse tapes like The Matrix which I feel will be great viewing for a long time coming, ie a "Classic" Other junk films I have in the archives for awhile now are being recycled. I won't mention the titles of these. This has given me about a hundred tapes for rotation of long term timeshifting and about 250 tapes that are current archives.

So, for some of you, having over a thousand tapes is something you pride, I find that its whats on the tape that I pride, not the quantity. Hell, I don't even know how many I do have but the shelf space is about 95% full. I do have a catalog listing though but it does need a bit of updating for the past 2 months.

Anyway, this is how my library philosophy has changed over the past year. I consider it an evolution from quantity building in the begining to quality of title building now.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:

I'm sorry, but mediocre retread action flicks just don't light my fire, especially at those prices.

And Dave, you're kidding yourself if you think that replacing any of your titles with D-Theater equivalents will hold out any significant advantage.

As for the # of titles: Many of those folks posting in this thread or on this forum are approaching 1000 titles and counting.

DP1,you go right ahead and enjoy U-571 and Terminator II in all their D-Theater splendor.

I'm just saying that when I mentioned that W-VHS would work fine for me cause it's plug and play with the STB's I currently have to just do some timeshifting of a couple of Network shows and a sporting event here or there that I might miss, you countered with it producing an inferior outcome of which I acknowledged in the first place that it would compared to D-VHS.

But I also thought it was fair to say that to some people not being able to get a 2.35:1 film from HBO in OAR that included 5.1 sound on tape could be viewed as an "inferior outcome" too (because of HBO's position) when compared to being able to get that outcome say on a D-theater tape. So to me that makes everything relative.

But as I also said, and you quoted but apparently skipped over is that I have no intention of buying into D-theater either. Of course if the JVC had component input I might buy it for simple timeshifting but like I'm going to pay 1100.00 to use it as playback only plus 35.00 a pop for movies I've already seen as many times as I care to see anyway. Most movies, once I've seen them 2 or three times is enough for me. Whether it was on DVD, HBO HD, SHO HD or where ever.

And yes dave, I know I could buy the JVC for 1100.00 and a modded DTC-100 for another 1500.00 and then be able to timeshift the few things I'd like to timeshift (like I said, I dont care to archive) but I'll pass for now. I'm not going to pay over 2K for that simple function. I've done without it for a couple years now, I can continue to do so.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We each have our hobbies that others would say is a waste of money. If I knew each of yours, I bet I could make the same comments. I think buying a fancy car is a waste of money. I think going on fancy vacations is a waste of money. I think going out to dinner is a waste of money. Buying new furniture is a waste of money. I just look at it as we only have a very short time on this planet so enjoy what makes one happy. My hobbies are not for everyone but I do enjoy them. I have train sets all over the house and am starting to build one outside. Most people say I am nuts. I have three boat lifts on my property, people say I am nuts. My amphious car sits in the garage most of the time. People say I am nuts. I have a trampoline thing in my backyard. My neighbor sure doesnt like living next door to me. Too many toys. But it sure makes life fun for me and my family.

I enjoy supporting efforts that I enjoy. 169time meets this and the jvc deck meets this. If I were to do an ROI I would be shocked how stupid I am.

Dave

·
Registered
339 Posts
"He who dies with the most toys wins!" Dave appears to be in first place! :D Everyone will find their own "comfort level" in this hobby. I am afraid I am hooked Bigtime! ;)

I love my 30k. I wish I had FW out on my HDD200 so I could record HBO/Showtime with DD5.1. In the last few months, more and more 5.1 material is being shown. I watch some HD content with 5.1 ST almost every night. There is a difference in most upconvert 1080i material shown on these channels, but some film conversions approach true 1080i quality. OTA is slow in coming to me, but progress locally is being made. I await 169Time to complete their current developement. I will buy D-Theater tapes the moment they become available. 480i/p viewing is just not the same "enjoyment level" as 1080i viewing (see the next paragraph). I plan to keep my BUD and add DTV in the future. I will be installing an antenna system soon that should give me some OTA access from 75 miles away, before the November deadline the locals have promised.

Two weeks ago a friend that lives in Houston finally bit the bullet (after many months of preaching by me :D) and purchased a Panny 34" 16x9 DV set at an incredible price---$1600.00 open box! He told me that he mainly wanted to watch his DVD collection with it, and HD content was not in his budget or want list now. He was amazed and impressed with his new set as he viewed his movies (seen many times on an old SD 27" 4:3 set).

He was out of town last week on business, and while shopping at an electronic center (killing time) he found a STB that I had mentioned to him at an incredible open box price. He bought it and called me last night after getting it up and running on OTA and DTV (came with eliptical dish/LNB etc). "Damn, I see what you have been talking about!!!!!" (Tongue in cheek) he lambasted me for making him spend the dollar$ recently. He then informed me that his DVD collection just doesn't have the zing it once did. "PBS OTA is in 3D!!!", he screamed. I just smiled. He now has plans to upgrade his HT system as well as adding D-VHS to his want list. We have another mutual friend in Houston that purchased a 30k a few weeks ago, so he has someone with which he can work with etc. "Damn, this stuff is addicting", he said last night. "Yep, it only gets worse", I told him. :D Bottom line is this last quote from my friend, " It was worth every dime I paid. Man. this is really neat!"

Ray

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
I think buying a fancy car is a waste of money. I think going on fancy vacations is a waste of money. I think going out to dinner is a waste of money. Buying new furniture is a waste of money.

Dave
Running the heater in the house on a 30 degree January day is a waste of money too, eh DDDDave? ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
I have found little time to watch my few recordings. They just sit on the shelf, mostly unwatched... there is more to life than watching movies... having the ability to record and save a movie is what's important, not collecting huge numbers of tapes in the archive.

Anyway, this is how my library philosophy has changed over the past year. I consider it an evolution from quantity building in the beginning to quality of title building now.
Don,

We are in complete philosophical and operational agreement.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Yep Todd, thats why I keep my house at 64 max in the winter.

Ray, I totally agree with ya but again, its great we can all find the things that bring us joy. Just wish I had more of the green stuff to buy some more toys. I thought about buying one of those trains you can ride on for my backyard. Now wouldnt my neighbors love that.

Dave

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:

We are using S-VHS 120 minute=20GB portable media for $3.00 per for chrissakes.
A small correction. 120 minute tape = 25GB and 240 mintue tape, the largest one there is (D480) is 50 GB.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.