AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else here feel like their head is about to explode after reading the updated threads each day? And yet we come back to do it again tomorrow?

Let me see if I can summarize why I feel this way. I am finishing up on a new house that is going to be on a "Tour of Homes" the first 2 weekends in October (yeah, I know, it's almost here!). Anyway, I have been reading as much as I can in these forums to learn from others as to what display, receiver, speakers, etc to buy. At first I was going with a Runco CL-510front projector to get that "WOW" factor, but realized I hated being in the dark all the time. Then I looked at plasmas since we just installed one here at the firm I work at (an Electrograph 42"). I have to admit the plasmas are just the coolest looking things I've ever seen in a display!

So, I had almost settled on the Pio 503cmx since it sounds like a great display for the money. (I need 50" for the room size). Then I see the Panasonic 50" and think, wow that looks even better! Then about the time I'm starting pull the plug on the AVS special on the Panny 50", I go to a store and see the Fujitsu models. OMG! Of course they are displaying super nice HD Net stuff. I then decide, "It's gotta be the Fujitsu!"

All of a sudden, my brain kicks in and says "$8000 for a TV? Are you nuts?" and I come back to earth. I start reading about the new models coming out from Pio and Panny and I start sweating really bad. Should I wait? Should I get it now? Are the new models THAT much better? Will these things be 50% cheaper next year? The pressure starts to build in my skull! :confused:

Then other questions start popping up. Should I just get a 42" Panny EDTV model since I'm sure I will be happy with it and in a couple of years move it to the bedroom and look at a 60" or larger? Should I do nothing and wait? A fish hits me and says "Look at the BenQ! Look at the BenQ!"

Should I worry about HDTV right now or will things be so much better (and cheaper) in 8-12 months? Does HDCP capatibility really matter to me right now? ARGH!!!!!!! The pressure!!!!!! :confused:

Seriously, I sometimes have to stop reading the posts and take a break before I have a mental brakdown. And 15 minutes later I'm back on the forum reading and waiting for someone to make that next post to see what they did and read their experience.

So, to the people that are about to buy, do you feel the pressure too? I know the ones that already have their displays are sitting back going "I love mine!" but I bet they love the lack of pressure on their brains too.,..

Decisions, decisions.

;)

·
Registered
MHT200, B&W N802, Panasonic 65
501 Posts
Yes. Yes. Yes. Dunno what I am going to do. Tired of waiting, tired of this addiction.

Wife likes Pioneer 50 the best, but I think we should wait on the new ones.

I want P50, but don't want to pay 9++. And maybe should wait on it's update.

I should consider new Panny 50, but I don't really have room for the wide frame of the consumer model. (It would not retract all the way into the entertainment center.) So maybe I should wait for the commercial model. But if I wait for the Panny commercial, why not wait just a little longer till Fujitsu does the same screen with AVM. And then I am back to the high price point.... (buzzards circling, waiting till death is final....)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You know, I've got to think that you'd be very pleased with HD on the Pio, Panny or Fujitsu.

You have to decide for yourself - are you the kind of person who would look at HD on the Pio or Panny and say 'this looks awesome! But the Fuji might look slightly MORE awesome!?" Will you find yourself staring at black levels instead of watching the movie? Will you watch a 2 hour movie, and afterwards say, 'did you see that motion artifact in scene blah blah...?'

Will you have an adequate (or any) supply of HD sources? (Cable, DBS, OTA.) If you don't have cable HD, don't forget to budget for an HD receiver of some type.

Answer these questions honestly, and I think you may have made your decision. :cool:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Unless the showroom comparisons are truly valid (almost never): calibrated correctly, showing the same HDnet program, side by side, etc., all 50" plasmas will look great in your home.

Buy the less expensive of the 50" plasmas. You'll save about $2000, which will be enough to buy a D-VHS, the Firewall STB's, and even the 169time recording stuff. You'll soon be able to tape HD sports and movies and show it to your friends.

Even if the super expensive Fujitsu is slightly better, you will never know, because you will never be able to drag it home and sit it next to yours for a true side by side comparison.

A possibly slightly better PQ which you'll never see, or be able to tape HD?

Go for it !

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yup, yup, yup. You are all correct.... In August, I was waiting for CEDIA because I just knew that everything would be clear to me after the fall announcements. I was going to place my order!

Pioneer, only updates the 5030HD (which no one liked much) for fall. Elite only got the HDI tacked on. No mention of the 504CMX. 5040 sounds good but includes stuff I don't want and has a wide bezel that does not fit well.

Fujitsu, not even a press conference, very few details, 1Q04 availability.

Panny was always 3rd on my list but we have not seen enough about the new 50 to change my mind.... Consumer model is 52.5" wide, the inside of my cabinet is only 49", the outside frame of my cabinet (second choice to wife) is 52.4".... wow, a 20th of an inch clearance on each side of the plasma. (space underneath, behind and top for air movement) Need details and PQ reviews on the 50 6UY.

Sitting, waiting. Wife is tired of this game.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'm here as well. I'm very interested in the Pioneer 5040 since it has only one cable to the display and built-in ATSC HD off air tuner.

I also love the looks of the 5040 with it's shiny black frame and silver speakers.

So, I'm stuck waiting for another month which makes me very vulnerable to mood swings.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Relax!

Yes, these are important decisions, but your life in not hanging on them. Enjoy the process. Do you know how lucky you are to be in the position of having to decide between a Pio, Panny or Fujitsu 50" plasma? Buying now or buying later?

Take this ride for all it's worth, because once it's over, you ain't gonna be riding this roller coster anytime soon again.

Take your time, absorb, enjoy the process. The end decision in your case (having done your homework) is less important than the enjoyment of the process (at least given the choices you are looking at -- they are all good).

That said, it is September and the new Fujitsu units will be available in January (not sure about Pio and Panny). If it were me I wait and enjoy the next 3 months doing the research, looking at the displays, checking on prices and seller reputations, keep reading the forum and simply BATHE IN YOUR LUXURY!.

I have a Fujitsu P50 that I bought last December when they first came out and I have had a whole year of absolute fun, fun, fun... and Daddy took my T-Bird away too (for the BB fans out there). So I personally would get the new Fujitsu with the 10 bit processor and immerse myself in my glorius picture.

Leave the headaches behind and let yourself be free...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Seems to me that the commercial Panasonic new model should be out a lot before the 504 Pioneer or the new Fujitsu. As in 2-3 months. Seems that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It all seemed so easy. I bought a Delphi but macrovision problems forced me to return it (did not go with Meridian 598 DVD). Right what should I do next. Looked at 42 " plasmas, but thoght , no go for a 50". Panny or Pio - Panny but what about the fan noise (4 fans) or on the Panny, 2 fans on the Pio tempreature contolled. Right go for the Panny and put it through a Lumagen (having discarded the thought of a Rock Pro) - Settled - get the best price - crickey Meridian come out with their G series with DVI output. The Pio 503 doesn't take it - what next - now waiting for Panny 50" Due Oct/Nov - no Lumagen - big gap on the wall - those sleepless nights Pio or Panny - which Processor - I might have had to go into therapy - Monday morning comes back to work and away from the stress of thinking about Panny, Pio and the rest....

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hamster
At first I was going with a Runco CL-510front projector to get that "WOW" factor, but realized I hated being in the dark all the time. Then I looked at plasmas since we just installed one here at the firm I work at (an Electrograph 42"). I have to admit the plasmas are just the coolest looking things I've ever seen in a display!
Get both you cheap skate.;)

Try this one. You already have a plasma and are looking into HD. Jeez, now talk about head aches, Let's see do I go with E* and get the 6000u with both modules and an OTA antenna and sign up for the HD package available on 09/16/03, or switch to D* whose compression on SD stuff stinks to holy hell or buy a STB for OTA HD for the three channels that antenna.org says I should get.

D* would be cheaper but I don't think I could stand the compression factor, E* would be a no brainer except that the 811 and superdish are supposed to come out in another few months (yeah, sure) and the STB with OTA would cost about $300 per station surely causing the wife to have a super cow.

And you have it tough? I don't think so. Oh and don't even think of taking E* away without having D* inplace, the kids would freak if they couldn't watch "Sponge Rogo, Square Pants".:p

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oh, come on Rich, you are not even close ....;)

I have to do the E vs D and the OTA / set box / antenna ....

and ....

the plasma ...

the receiver ...

the DVD player ...

the remote ...

the recorder ...

and SS speakers / possible rewiring ...

and do all that without messing up her music system in the same room

plus she wants new speakers (so far she likes the N802s)

and I just finished cutting out 3 load-bearing 2x6's to allow me to get behind the rack ... framing, trimming, painting, ventilation ....

Give me a break !!! :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys make some very good points! My local B&M guy is going to put a new Runco 50" plasma in for the home tour, so that is going to help greatly! Not only will it help put off my purchase for a while, but I will get to see what a 50" screen looks like in the room.

Now, looking forward to reading up on the Pio 504!

HDTV888 makes a very good point! Unless you have all the plasmas in your home to compare side by side, any of them will most likely look incredible. I guess I will just keep on learning from everyone and when the time is right, make the plunge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.