AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Pioneer elite pro-710-hd connected to a Kenwood vr-5900 reciever and a HTPC. This has served me well over the last 11 yrs but it is time to update.

After hours of reading I have decided on the Epson 8350 front projector. My def-tech pro-800 5.1 speakers and HTPC will remain however I must replace the reciever. It is pre-hdmi.

I thought I had made up my mind on the Denon 1911 but have since heard that may not be my best choice. I would like to keep the price around $800 or less but will go slightly higher if there is a big enough reason to.

This will be used almost exclusively for movies and tv. My room is 18x12x8

Here are some thought as to what I need:

at least 4 hdmi 1.4 ports(futureproofing, possibly 3d later on)

2 simultaneous outputs would be nice but not a dealbreaker

will be using harmony one remote so remote usability is not a factor

have a denon 1610 in bedroom and liked the audyssey setup, something comparable would be nice

2nd zone is uneccessary

hdmi passthru is not neede as I always run everything thru the reciever

reciever will be hidden so appearance does not matter

I would like to buy this Friday if possible and combine the sale with the 8350 to try and get a better deal. Most likely will buy from bestbuy.(interest free)

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I find the Pioneer Elite VSX-33 to be a good choice for me so you could check it out. It have dual 1.4a output, 7.1, pre-outs and lots of goodies (iphone app, internet radio and more). I was also looking at the Denon but I think I will stay with Pioneer as I am extremely satisfied with the two that I already own.

It's listed ~620$ with free shipping at AVinDemand (use google shopping for more suggestions).

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
another Pioneer option is the VSX-1120 (functionally equal to the Elite VSX-32) and available from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11...0475534&sr=8-1 or Best Buy for about $40 more.

Authorized Pioneer internet dealers http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ternet+Dealers please note that Elite series receivers are not sold on the internet by authorized dealers (no factory warranty if purchased from non-authorized dealers)

You can also take a look at receivers from Denon and Marantz at BB

·
Premium Member
93,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudmeister /forum/post/19529724

I thought I had made up my mind on the Denon 1911 but have since heard that may not be my best choice. I would like to keep the price around $800 or less but will go slightly higher if there is a big enough reason to.

have a denon 1610 in bedroom and liked the audyssey setup, something comparable would be nice.

The 1911 would be very comparable to the 1610. What have you heard to the contrary?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only negative I have heard about the Denon is it is overpriced. Other comparable recievers are cheaper.

After copious reading I have decided to go with the Pioneer vsx-1120 unless someone can change my mind.

Anyone up to the challenge?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts