AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted some things about my 5500, but mostly in response to other posts and some tests I did with my Panamorph. I want share some information that may be helpful to others. I got my projector from Projector People. The unit I received had a very mild case of the "blues" when displaying blacks, but this was mostly evident if you looked real hard at my 1.8 gain Stewart screen. The one problem I did have with the unit was its ability to handle 1080i,RGB from my Dish 6000 and AccessDTV. I won't go into that here, since I posted about it before. I worked with Dale Hughes in the Projector People customer service department to look into the 1080i problem. Dale suggested that the unit be replaced to determine whether or not I had a defective unit. I sent the original back and received a new one. The new unit still fails with 1080i,RGB but not all the time, and in a way that I have been able to tell Hitachi some pertinent details. This might be a consideration for anyone who's considering feeding 108i,RGB to the 5500.

The other thing I want to mention is the picture on the replacement 5500. It is more than I expected. Better than the first. No green filters for me, thank you. :) If I squint and think real hard about it, I might think I see a little blue in a black blanked screen, but not at all in actual dark scenes. For those who keep track of such things, my serial number is G2B000814. I really feel that Hitachi is trying to overcome this problem in one way or another. If anything, the picture at factory settings was a little green. I've cranked up the red and blue to make it pleasing to my eye. I'll go into the service menu for fine tuning when I receive the Firehawk I've ordered. I'm back to watching the picture instead of the stories portrayed by the pictures. That's what home theater is all about, right?

I'm very pleased with my 5500 and the service I received from Projector People and I want the world (well, this world) to know.

Chuck Davis

By the way, Jason, if you're reading this, stop having power buys on things I just bought! :mad:

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
That's great news, Chuck! Keep us posted as you go...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.