1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a media extender or similar device which will:

-- Play Netflix's "Watch Instantly" (video-on-demand) films;

-- Play and control my Rhapsody subscription music service; and

-- Play movies that I've ripped to my local file server?

So far, the only way I know to accomplish this is to install a media pc in my a/v rack in the living room, which is not something I'm very keen on. Three years ago, I built a media pc in a sexy SilverStone case and hooked it to my hdtv and receiver, but it was never easy to use. I never could get it to display a Windows desktop and menus on my hd crt tv (720p or 1080i) in a way which was readable from my living room chair. It was so complicated that nobody in the house could run it but me. It required use of wireless keyboard and mouse (gyration), which added to the living room clutter. And despite my best efforts to quiet it, it was still so noisy I couldn't stand to leave it running all the time, so I had to wait for it to boot up whenever I wanted to use it.

IF there is a media extender or similar box on the market (or coming to market in 1q or 2q 2008), then I'd rather buy something like that. If not, I guess I need to muster some courage and try the htpc route again. I still have the pc. Maybe in three years, there's a more user friendly way to setup the desktop and menus. Maybe someone has made a tv-style remote which can control an htpc so I can leave the keyboard in the closet most of the time. Maybe I can get someone to water-cool the cpu and video card so it runs silently. Maybe...

All suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My needs are much simpler...

All I want is a streamer that reliably plays DVD-ISO, and gapless FLAC over SMB shares.

If something like that ever comes out, I'm on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomII /forum/post/12999008

All I want is a streamer that reliably plays DVD-ISO, and gapless FLAC over SMB shares.

I don't know gapless FLAC from GAP blue jeans, but aren't there about 90 kagillion streamers that will play DVD-ISO? Take a look at:

Popcorn Hour NMT-100 and
SageTV HD Media Extender

·
Registered
82 Posts
The popcorn thing looks really cool but the site doesnt give a lot of detail. Is their aother site that gives more details on the unit? I would really love to see more screens!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland /forum/post/12999301

I don't know gapless FLAC from GAP blue jeans, but aren't there about 90 kagillion streamers that will play DVD-ISO? Take a look at:

Popcorn Hour NMT-100 and
SageTV HD Media Extender

·
Registered
290 Posts
PhantomII - I'd highly recommend trying a modded Xbox running XBMC. It's really not difficult to set up and it will do everything that you want and more.

Plus - it's EXTREMEMLY wife and kid friendly. Trust me on this... I have mine set-up so that my 4 year old can browse her DVDs and play them at will.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The modded xbox doesnt have a HTPC output does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby /forum/post/13007952

PhantomII - I'd highly recommend trying a modded Xbox running XBMC. It's really not difficult to set up and it will do everything that you want and more.

Plus - it's EXTREMEMLY wife and kid friendly. Trust me on this... I have mine set-up so that my 4 year old can browse her DVDs and play them at will.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If all it did was play my library of music and movies, I'd probably buy a "pre-modded" xbox with XBMC pre-installed on it if anyone sold them that way. When I looked into xbmc about a year ago, nobody was selling them that way (at least that I could find). The dozens or hundreds of different mod chips and mod kits were just too intimidating for me.

If it would play/control my Rhapsody subscription, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

If it would do Rhapsody and Netflix, I'd buy three.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland /forum/post/13015685

If all it did was play my library of music and movies, I'd probably buy a "pre-modded" xbox with XBMC pre-installed on it if anyone sold them that way. When I looked into xbmc about a year ago, nobody was selling them that way (at least that I could find). The dozens or hundreds of different mod chips and mod kits were just too intimidating for me.

If it would play/control my Rhapsody subscription, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

If it would do Rhapsody and Netflix, I'd buy three.

I know, it does seem daunting...and it can be...to get one setup. Maybe look for a used one on craigslist.com in your area for one that's already modded. Most of those kids used them as mere gaming consoles!!!
I got mine set up and am going to hunt down a few more. XBMC will steal the future once they get it running solid on a Linux box! It is VERY cool to say the least. Crazy that it's free.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland /forum/post/13015685

There's a guy on eBay that sell's them fairly often. He also can do your own for a fee if you sent it too him. He's been doing it for a while and I've bought from him. Can't to it otherwise. Just check the closed auctions and do a search for XBMC.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just saw this on Engaget ( http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/m...ugin-released/ )

Quote:
Anthony Park just released his MyNetflix Media Center plugin. The application lets you add/remove movies from your Netflix queue, browse for movies, and view history and recommendations. The part that will tempt you into installing the beta software however is the ability to stream "Watch Now" movies from the warm comforts of your Media Center.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts