AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time poster in the HTPC forum, and finally this summer I get to set up shop over here as I make over this basement game room.

Here's a panoramic shot of the basement as it is right now:

This will be very much a budget/DIY set up, as it is my first home. I've alloted about $3,000 to the project.

The door to the garage is to the immediate left of where the picture was taken. The door is in the back corner. Behind the bar is laundry, the furnace, and a brand new full bathroom. I plan to use a sectional for seating.

In the area to the left I would like to set up 110" spandex screen (96"x54"). I could either put it a foot or so out from the wall (just enough room for speakers to go behind), or I could bring it forward and use that corner as a storage location.

If I leave it close to the wall I will bring the seating up to about where the drop ceiling ends. That would leave enough room behind there to get in and out of the garage. If I moved the screen further up then seating would be against the back wall.

Items I have:
-htpc
-Xbox One and 360
-center, left, right, and 2 surround speakers
-harmony remote

Items I will purchase:
-active subwoofer (likely monoprice)
-Optoma HD26 (or similar)
-2 more surround speakers
-new 7.1 or 7.2 receiver, possibly a DTS X model
-possibly 2 ceiling speakers

Room improvement items to purchase:
-dark blue paint for walls
-paint for ceiling?
-carpet squares
-2 or 3 acoustic treatments

Over at the bar I am going to put a 37" tv I inherited that is sitting in storage. I'd like to set up to speakers on the wall above the bar, nothing too fancy. I figure I can power this tv with either an HDMI splitter from the receiver or a space PC I have.

Here is my rough conception that I've been day dreaming about:

Please chime in with any and all ideas, from paint colors to projector ideas.

For a rough pricing idea this is what I'd like to spend:
-projector: $600
-receiver: $400
-subwoofer: $100
-pair of bookshelf speakers: $100
-pair of bar area speakers: $50
-screen: $100

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My two cents worth: I would go with a bigger screen.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have the exact measurement of that wall yet, but assuming the ceiling tiles are 2 feet wide its somewhere between 10 and 12 feed wide in there, so thats the largest I could potentially make it. 8 feet across seemed to make the most sense given the availability of 96" lumber and the experiences of DIY screen makers, but I certainly am not married to that size.

Do those sub $1000 projectors throw enough light out for that size of a screen? How do you think the Epson from your posts would work in this space at 120"+

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The Epson would not work for your application if you play a lot of games. The lag time would be the issue.

As to light output, I have 16:9 169 inches with my projector on it's lowest setting (eco/natural) and it is only rated at 1800 lumens at the highest. With 2850 lamp hours, I would guess I am putting out around 600 or less lumens, and the image is plenty bright enough.

Most members pick the BenQ W1070 as the best overall entry level 1080p projector. Since four family members use my pj as a TV and the thing is on at least 5 hours a day, I swim upstream here because I like the Epson for replacement lamp cost, no light leakage and warranty.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I got an Inland 120 inch screen (104 wide by 59 inches high) from FRY'S for less than $100

(104 inches wide is 8 foot 8 inches)

http://inlandproduct.com/proht120manualprojectionscreen.aspx

My OPTOMA HD26 was $685 at Amazon

Ceiling mount $25

Running a Sunfire 300x2 ($700 on eBay)

into Carver Amazing Loudspeakers ($1000-1500 used)

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/reviews/stereophile_carver-ALS.htm

And 3D glasses (two for $50)

13 foot throw distance ...nice and bright

Heavy drapes over the three windows behind/beside the screen next!

Then a Sunfire Theater Grand Preamp/Processor

Concentrate on the two front left and right channels (amp and speakers) and subwoofer

Add more channels (amps and speakers) for surround later

Carver ALS III's work good here...($600-1000)

Your HT should be GREAT!:)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the home inspection booked.

Are there any things I should be looking for while I'm in there that could help guide my decisions?

My immediate thought is figuring out where to get power to the projector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts