AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around here for quite a while now, mostly lurking, occasionally posting. I've learned a lot, and have a lot of you to thank. In the meantime, I figured I ought to upload a few pictures of what I managed to put together.

My house was completed in Feb '06, with a 13 x 17 room carved out of a large "bonus area" upstairs for the theater. I had everything pre-wired, and by everything, I mean 17 network drops, 9 phone drops, audio/video for 6 Russound CAV6.6 zones, a downstairs living room surround system, 4 ABUS sub-zones, and who remembers what all else.

I had the wiring guy stop at pre-wiring. I terminated all the jacks in the rooms and my upstairs equipment closet, which houses all the phone and network connections, the Russound CAV, three TiVos, two DVD players, two A/V Receivers, and a Windows MCE PC.

I brought things "online" little by little with a goal of having the theater functional by Christmas (my wife's family was descending upon our house for Christmas Eve). I made it by the skin of my teeth. There is more work to be done, including painting my screen and projector mounts, carpeting my riser, repainting the entire room (darker) and starting down the acoustic treatment route. For now, the theater is d*mned enjoyable and has visitors either slack-jawed or giggling. I couldn't be happier.

Equipment in the theater:

Rotel RSX-1055

Panny S52 DVD

HR10-250 DirecTV TiVo

Panny PT-AE900U

Carada Criterion Series 96" 16:9 CCW

B&W 602 S2 (L/R)

B&W 601 S2 (Sur)

B&W LCR60 (Cen)

Velodyne FSX-R12 (LFE)

My seats are Irwin Marquee that I got for FREE from a local theater that was being renovated. My sconces are from Lowes. My media storage problem is getting worse. My speaker stands are Sanus. All wiring/cabling is either DIY or CableWholesale.com. I have the sconces on a Lutron Maestro IR dimmer. Right now, everything is controlled with the programmable Rotel remote. My projector shelf will be closed in from the front - no wires/brackets will show. All walls (incl. ceiling and floor, and the equipment room) are double drywall (or double plywood) with green glue between. All doors are solid core with thresholds and Pemko sweeps and surrounds. Outside the theater it is surprisingly quiet. Elsewhere in the house it is amazingly quiet. In the master bedroom directly below it is fairly noisy - I may try to track that down later (likely flanking noise from untreated outlet/jack holes in the walls).

I've tried to cover everything, sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading, and above all, thanks for answering (my questions and other's questions that I learned from).

All the pictures are in my user gallery.

Dave

·
Registered
461 Posts
Your theater seems great. It doesn't matter if it is completed or not. What does matter is the joy and good times it brings to your family.

I also have a Panny PT-AE900U projector and Panny S52 DVD player which we got for this years "family" gift at Christmas. We hooked it up in our basement with a DIY $40 screen and cheap surround sound speakers and we loved it! We didn't need a stage filled with 1,000 pounds of sand, double drywall, expensive seats, designer sconces, etc.

I am currently building a dedicated home theater in the basement in order to improve the video and audio experience, but it will all be DIY on a small budget. I also buy my cables at CableMart. They work as good as those expensive cables. This leaves more money in my pocket to buy some new DVD's and popcorn for the movies.

Have fun with your new theater!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't see a link to your gallery, nor does it appear in your profile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that - I've never posted pictures before. I can see them in my gallery, but maybe I didn't do something correctly.

I'll try attachments this time...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...and two more...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I love how you mounted your projector. Too bad I have a window in that spot or I would do the same thing.

You have a very nice theater that you can be proud of.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Looking good.

Just wait til you paint a darker color, you'll be amazed at the picture quality difference.

Acoustic treatments should do the same for your sound.

"Not quite finished" is an on-going statement if you hang out here

Scott

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Nice setup. Good job on the wiring. I know what you went through becasue I too have the Russound CAV6.6. Don't be like me though and not finish what you've started because it's operational. 3 years after hanging my projector my walls are still white.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.