AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes my first heavily edited post. The original has been thoroughly trashed. My wife and I purchased this home about a year and a half ago when we moved from Florida to Georgia. The one thing I wanted was a basement. Growing up in Texas basements aren’t typical and living in Florida basements are known as indoor swimming pools.

I purchased my theater components last February and it’s an entry level system but for $3000 at the time I think it’s pretty awesome. The projector is a PT-AX200U, I have the Onkyo HTIB (HTS908), but I replaced the DVD player with the Pany DMP-BD35K BluRay player. I also purchased a Carada 106” 1.78 to 1 screen in Classic Cinema White. So with all the equipment I trotted down to the unfinished basement and hung everything from the bare studs. I did mount a piece of ¾” plywood to the floor joists and attached the projector mount to the plywood. Well at this point I didn’t have a very high WAF, however, once the football season started the WAF went to high.

During this same time period my second son was born, I also have a three year-old. So having toys scattered all through the house has exceeded annoying and has reached almost dangerous. Not sure why but I seem to be the only one who trips over and steps on toys. How the boys and my wife avoid them amazes me. It was at this point I gave up my office and moved everything down to the basement, and my office became the playroom. My wife lost her section of the office but was willing to give it up to centralize the toy craze. Oh, we blame the grandparents for the mess; of course we helped but can’t take credit.

So now with the back story in place the basement had to have provisions for a theater, playroom, office, bar, game room, and bathroom. Fortunately the interior walls in the basement worked well where they were. Since they are all load bearing it was easier to adjust the floor plan to accommodate the walls than try moving them.

We like entertaining and felt that an open theater area blending into the game room and bar area would be the best solution. To promote a more open feeling we are having a large arch opened in the wall between the theater and the game room. We are also trying to pull elements from the upstairs into the basement as well. For example, we have a two story fireplace that’s covered with stone. So in the basement I’m going to have the screen wall covered in stone with the screen recessed in the wall. We’re also carrying the stone theme into the bar area. The front of the bar will be covered in stone and the back wall behind the bar will have stone as well as a flat panel. I need to see if I can create some mock ups of what I have in mind.

Also I hired a GC since with two little ones and a more than full time job I just don't have a great deal of free time.

Here’s the floor plan that I came up with.

Now for some dimensions:

Theater: 14’ 8” x 20’8” viewing distance from screen is around 13’ Due to traffic flow and windows on the outer wall the room is wider than long.

The Bar will be roughly 11’1” by 7’5”

The Game room is 20’ 8” by 13’ 8”

The office will be 11’ x 12’

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You don't have to have a DIY build to feel justified in posting... we are always interested in builds no matter how big, small, fancy or simple...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's take a walk through the basement before pictures, of course this is after it's been cleaned out

** Thanks to kezug on Photbucket, not sure why Picasa doesn't like the IMG tag. But thanks to Doug I have pictures ***

Stairway leading down to the basement

View of the future theater with the game room behind the studs. ** Note no Arch yet **

View of the screen wall

View of the future bar (my 19 year old Magnepan speakers are leaning against the wall)

Future bathroom (vanity, toilet, shower)

Boy's playroom

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two days into the framing and dramatic changes are taking place...

Screen Wall

Bar Area

[

Wall between back of theater and gameroom

Not sure why my pics aren't showing up, getting a little frustrating... I'm linking to Google Picasa

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba /forum/post/15510985

Two days into the framing and dramatic changes are taking place...

Screen Wall

Bar Area

Wall between back of theater and gameroom

Not sure why my pics aren't showing up, getting a little frustrating... I'm linking to Google Picasa

I grabbed your image link from your post and found that it was showing the image from within an "album"...right clicking on the album image and going to Properties, I got this...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oo22MAaVP1k/SW...2/100_2899.jpg

Enclosing the links inside tags, give this:

...Very cool looking Barrel Ceiling. I am going to be watching this thread.

You might want to checkout photobucket and it provides very nice methods of viewing/obtaining the proper links to use in forums and provides Photo Albums as well. Its free.

[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oo22MAaVP1k/SWVOCa3QpGI/AAAAAAAAANQ/3u2sGl3siMc/s912/100_2899.jpg

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
So tell us a little more about what you are planning on doing with this space.

As for the barrel ceiling, how is it going to be finished (wood or sheetrock)?

What size screen are you shooting for?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information... I have everything on a blog and I'm trying to keep up with it daily as far as pictures progress. So I may just keep the pics there for ease instead of trying to keep up with pics here as well.

http://mleahybasement.blogspot.com/

The barrel ceiling will be drywall, with crown moulding down the length of the barrel. Planning on attaching rope lights behind the crown for the coolness factor when not watching a movie. I'm currently planning on surrounding the screen with stacked stone. I know it's not acoustically correct, but I think it'll look awesome. Once the bar is done (probably next year) the front of the bar and a section of the back will have matching stacked stone as well.

I just marked the locations for TV's in the basement so I think we'll end up with the theater, and 4 flat screens for the gameroom. The end goal is to have Gameday and Sunday ticket so we can watch the game of the day on the theater and a different game on each of the other TVs in the gameroom. Which is why we opened the arch between the theater and the gameroom. If I didn't say it before my wife and I are huge football fans. So the basement is really all about watching football.

I've have a 106" Carada screen now (the theater has been setup for almost a year but it was all 2x6s and concrete floors.) While it didn't prevent me from using the theater my wife hated it.

Here's the list of my equipment:

Panasonic PT-AX200U Projector

Panasonic DMP-BD35K Blu Ray Player

Onkyo HTSP908 7.1 Component Home Theater System w/HDMI

CARADA 106 Inch Diagonal Precision Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1 Classic Cinema White

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba /forum/post/15517063

So I may just keep the pics there for ease instead of trying to keep up with pics here as well.

Fine. But I'm here and willing to pitch in, But I'm lazy, show me the pictures.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to kezug I moved my images over to Photobucket instead of Google Picasa and everything works well now.

Today I got to play, managed to run my speaker wire 12ga from monoprice. Went to HD to pick up some electrical boxes for the speakers and cable outlets. Planning on way more than I think I'll ever need, but since there's no drywall now's the time to do it. I'll upload some pics later tonight once the boys go to sleep and I have a few minutes of peace and quiet. (Ages 3 and 9 months the main reason I'm not DIYing this project)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some more pictures taken at the end of the first week.

Next week will not be as dramatic as it'll be all about the A/C unit and the electrician. Although I'm hoping the stage will be in by mid-week. THe project is slated to take 6-8 weeks total so I guess 5-7 remaining... I can't believe we decided to do this during all the bowl games and NFL playoffs (there's a lesson learned although I don't plan on doing this again.)

View from the gameroom to the theater (included is the obligatory blue tape screen)

Shower valve rough-in, I know not theater related but I went above budget and got a unit that has two body jets so I'm excited about that)

Bar rough-in pictures I'm planning to fit a dishwasher, sink, free standing ice maker, and "beverage center" under the front of the bar. The back of the bar will be cabinets and a flat screen (thinking roughly 40")

Another arch, this time it's the opening to the boy's playroom

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
VERY cool ceiling! And yes, the pics posted right in the thread are great.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba /forum/post/15521069

View from the gameroom to the theater (included is the obligatory blue tape screen)

Ceiling is awesome! How do you get the drywall to curve to match it?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not really sure how they will curve the drywall to match the ceiling. I'm guessing they will score the back of the paper to make it more flexible. Once they start drywalling I'll try to get some "action shots" to see how they do it.

My wife and my son can't wait to get home every day to see what the "workers" have done. She's already trying to pick a color scheme. Looks like I'll be spending a lot more time looking at the theater gallery to get more ideas from everyone here.

Here's some pic's of the Heat and A/C unit dedicated to the basement. This one is electric though so shouldn't be as bad as my other two gas heaters at least. The ceiling of the basement is insulated and I'm having all the exterior walls insulated as well. It's probably overkill on the poured concrete walls, but I wanted it to be nice and cozy.

Last pic... this was from this past weekend when I ran 11 CATV run's through the basement. My work is zip tied, the cable installer's work is the spaghetti mess. Since the mechanical room won't be finished (only insulated) I plan on getting a cabinet to house the phones and CATV runs. I'm an IT guy and I really hate the pasta look when it comes to cabling.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the update on the project:

Electrical rough in is complete

A/C is complete (short of connecting the unit)

Plumbing rough in is complete

Framing is almost complete (the stage should be done today)

Inspections are all scheduled for tomorrow.

Here's a layout of where the basic electrical / tv / and speakers are... Any comments or suggestions before drywall goes in?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's some pictures as of last night...

A/C and duct work.. reminds me of something out of Alien..

Electrical panel and sub-panel

The bar

Theater room used to store removed insulation....

Recessed cans and duct work

Gameroom looking at the kids room

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomRoom /forum/post/15537009

Ceiling is awesome! How do you get the drywall to curve to match it?

They will more than likely use 1/4" DW, which has a lot of flex in it. They'll probably use a spray bottle and mist it up with water first to make it even more flexible and screw it in place.

Old.

ps, Thanks for posting, everything looks great so far.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Old! I did ask my contractor this morning and he said they soak the drywall with water. Then lean it against the wall so gravity pulls it into a curve. Then rinse and repeat until the curve is close to the ceiling curve.

I'm watching DIY network and someone is refinishing an outdated basement. One of the "quick facts" they showed was that 32% of homes in the US have a home theater. That seems high to me, but I guess it depends on the definition of home theater. Should be interesting to see how the project turns out. Good thing it's a 30 minute show.

In the meantime I'm at the rough-in inspection stage. Electrical and AC passed yesterday; plumbing is scheduled for today and framing for Monday. The framers missed some fire blocking and should be out today to correct that, so that's why the inspection is on hold until Monday. Once everything passes we'll have the insulators out and should start drywall next week.

Man I can't wait!!!!! I want my theater back, never thought I'd miss it this much.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba /forum/post/15571254

I'm watching DIY network and someone is refinishing an outdated basement. One of the "quick facts" they showed was that 32% of homes in the US have a home theater. That seems high to me, but I guess it depends on the definition of home theater. Should be interesting to see how the project turns out. Good thing it's a 30 minute show.

That's a can of worms you don't want to open around here.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger23 /forum/post/15571313

That's a can of worms you don't want to open around here.

I bow to the experts.. I knew better but my fingers typed it even though the brain was screaming don't do it...

They have a budget of $15k to finish the basement, including the theater and a home office. Since it's a DIY network show they are doing a lot of the work themselves. Waiting here to see how much over budget they go....

$15,000 budget.... drum roll please..... They actually spent.... $17,150 on just electronics... Final total... $28,682 almost double.

Man I hope I don't double my budget!

1 - 20 of 154 Posts