AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tv: 27 Sony Flat screen. (right now i dont have the room in my apt for the tv i want, which is the 50inch sony LCD, so i have to live with this tv until i move

)

Receiver: Sony Str-De 845 All the options, Dobly Digital, DTS 100x5

Fronts: Cerwin Vega E-310 (floor standing, 3 way, 10 inch woofer)

Center: Cerwin Vega E-76C (2 - 6.5 woofers, and tweeter)

Sub: Cerwin Vega LW-12 (front firing 12 inch woofer, 150wts)

surrounds: wall mounted awia's (for now, until i move....then i am getting the matching bookshelf cerwin vegas)

wiring: Everything is top of the line Monster Cable. Sub-Monserbass 400 ---Comonent Video monster THX ultra 1000 --- Optical Digital --Lightspeed 200

to me.......when i watch a movie........its amazing! I feel i'm only missing my big screen tv

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
bgillyjcu:

Welcome to AVS Forum!

Sounds like an effective system! When I started out I only had a 20" monitor but the addition of reasonable multi-channel sound really makes a difference. Looks like you will be experiencing many hours enjoying your new set up. Since you are already talking about upgrades, welcome also to the hobby where upgrading never ends :D!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yep, once you get hooked on that awesome movie experience, its downhill from there! Especially if you keep wandering around the AVS forum, you'll get great ideas on how to tweek here and there until you spend all your time tweeking, all your money upgrading and have no time left for enjoying movies! (J.K.)

Have fun!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Well, you asked what I think, so I'll be honest:

Not a big fan of the regular sony receivers. And definitely not a big fan of CV, they are loud yes, but not very good, IMO. And it also sounds like you spent a lot of money on overpriced cabling for this.

That being said, you should definitely get a lot of enjoyment out of the system, though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Glad to hear that I'm not the only around here still running the HT on a smaller TV :)

As for the equipment, bottom line is that as long as it is providing YOU enjoyment, that's all that counts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's only a matter of time until you buy a $700 projector on Ebay.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am actually a believer in the monster cables. esp since i get them at 60% off regular price :) they actually do make a difference in sound and picture...you just have to have the eyes and ears for it

i have a feeling the sony reciever might be going in the next 2-3 years for something 7.1

but i have to wait on that stuff. i am only 24....i plan on buying a house in the next 2 years....and then the process begins on my MOVIE ROOM.

thats the only thing that room will be used for.......MOVIES!

·
Registered
259 Posts
bgillyjcu, First off...Welcome to AVS Forum. I'm happy to see that there is another Cerwin Vega fan out there. I run ALL Cerwin Vega speakers in my Home Theater, and couldn't be happier. I wouldn't trade them for the world. Matter of fact, in running pretty much the same as you are, but w/12's. I'm sure you will be 110% happy with your set-up. As for the "small" TV, I started out my first HT with a 19" color job, so your off on the right track. Remember, once you get into this "hobby"....you'll be changed for life. I was. :) :)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its crazy that i am 24 and i am already head over heels into it. I just made my dad get the 42 lcd grand wega and a progressive scan dvd player for him!

he had a 15 year old crt 35 inch mistubishi (great tv back in the day)

he kept asking me......."am i really giong to see a difference" i laughed at him of course. 5 days ago his wega came.....he called me screaming because he could not believe what his eyes were letting him see. its amazing! I cant wait to drive home one of these days with a set of component video wires for him so he can see how much BETTER a dvd actually looks compared to his SD cable!!

hahahaha

i love this stuff

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I'm only 18, and can you beleive I actually convinced my parents to let me put in a HT? And not even like a room with a little digital projector and a stereo mind you. We ran beams yesterday to mount up my 160 pound barco CRT FP. Can't wait! So much better than blowing my cash on a car :p.

Yet in the meantime I'm still watching VHS movies in mono on a 20in trinitron. The change to my full 7.1 system, heavily processed video fed to a CRT projector is going to be awesome. Hopefully you won't read stories in the paper a month from now about an 18 yr old dying of a heart attack! :D

It's always fun!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Can I come over and watch rock concerts? Those CVs would take me right back to high school (in kind of a Fast Times way).

Don't even think I owned a TV at 24 (moved too many times and paying for grad school) - but I'd sure be looking at a cheap projector today.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone else want to weigh in??

how could I Improve on what i have........i'll take feedback!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.