AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, great website. Second, some of you guys have some CRAZY home theatre/game room setups. Seriously, some really nice rooms on this site!

Here's my humble addition to the catalog. Nothing too extreme here. Most of the work was done by my father and I. Lots of little things to do still; wires to run, painting on repaired drywall sections. The theatre area has a Panasonic AE2000U projector for video. The computer area has a 32” Sony Bravia (too small, I know, but it was free
). Waiting on a 23” monitor to replace the old CRT and wall mount it. Pretty satisfied with it so far. Only thing I’m looking to upgrade is the speakers.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Bar

Theatre area

AE2000U

AV equipment, DVD, Blu Ray, video game, VHS, Laser Disc and book collection

150” 16:9 screen

Klipsch 12” sub

My studying area

Temporary Gran Turismo cockpit

My other pride and joy; my Celestron 130mm Newtonian reflector telescope on an HEQ5 PRO SyncScan mount

Pool table

You can see my work in progress on the left

And of course, the controls to it all

Screen shots:

Can’t have a screenshot from The Shining without this one

·
Registered
197 Posts
First of all - CONGRATS!

It looks like a very nice multi purpose room. Something for everyone.

I have 2 small suggestions. First, paint the screen wall around the screen flat black. I think it will look great, plus it will make a SIGNIFICANT improvement in your contrast. Second, find a way to hide the speaker wire on your wall mounted flat panel (you probably have thought of that already).

Please post a few pics of your bar/counter when you have a chance.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
That is one heck of an entertaining space! That screen is massive!

I agree with Screen Shot about the screen wall.. paint it black or a darker color. Maybe a darker shade of purple/blue to go with the other walls?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nice looking room you have there!

I have a question about the stove in the corner. Who is the maker of it? Is it a pellet stove? I've been thinking of putting one in my basement and the one I have been eyeballing looks very much like that one.

http://screencast.com/t/EYsCMiuPJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very nice room. . .you have all kinds of nice toys down there!

I second the opinion of painting around your screen wall.

My only other suggestion, lose the 'Leafs' floor mat. I know that they are just a door mat for the Sabres, but still, why lessen your space with that! J/K! Go Sabres!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice. Sure looks to be a huge space you've got there. Lots of great toys.

BTW- I'll 'third' painting the screen wall a dark color.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. Like I said, still some wires to run still (by the flatscreen)

I have considered painting that entire wall black around the screen, and probably will do it now. I also would like to make some sort of masking system for the screen, but I'm not sure how to attach the masks to the screen. Any ideas?

As for the fireplace, its made by Napoleon. I will get the model number for you when I'm down there next.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
NICE looking basement. I like everything about it.

Did you make the bookshelves, or did you purchase them? If you purchased them, where did you get them? I've been looking for black bookshelves like that and have not found any.

·
Registered
290 Posts
theres nothing humble about that place....though i'm wondering why you placed your front speakers on the ceiling instead of the wall?

great space nonetheless. id never go out. ever.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by percept /forum/post/15596392

theres nothing humble about that place....though i'm wondering why you placed your front speakers on the ceiling instead of the wall?

great space nonetheless. id never go out. ever.

Thanks a lot!

The speakers were placed there because of my old projector. It was a 4:3 projector which filled the entire wall, so I had to put the speakers forward or they would be in the way of the screen.

My next plan is to build a "stage" type thing around the screen area, and put new speakers inside it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
the stage type thing you're talking about would be called a proscenium, i believe. i don't think building something out would yield much of a performance benefit. you could go the easy route and just paint the wall black. the main functional purpose of a stage is to decouple the speakers and sub from the structure of the house to tone down vibrations...but since you're planning on wall-mounting the speakers, the stage wont be very functional at all. id build one either way just because it looks cool.

id also get some bigger speakers. those tiny things dont do your setup justice. i can't see how those can possibly hit all frequencies sufficiently.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see, I just thought the "stage" was for looks, and I agree that it looks cool! Since I use the basement for a lot of things, I wanted it to look good all the time, and I'm not sure how a giant black wall would look... andone have photoshop?

I know, the speakers are tiny. The receiver I'm currently is a harmon/kardon AVR 354, and the speakers are from my old HT in a box. Any suggestions as to what would pair well with my receiver? Also remember that I can't really wall mount the surrounds (since its not an enclosed area). I think I'm limited to ceiling mount, and from what I've seen, most high end speakers don't give you that mounting option

·
Registered
290 Posts
it's not really a matter of what speaker goes well with your receiver. it's a matter of what speakers sound good to your ears. i wouldnt limit speaker purchases to what receiver you have. it all depends on your budget and what you're looking for. the guys in the speaker forum usually have pretty good input if you provide enough info as to what you're looking for. (budget, full-range/bookshelf/satellite, etc.) i recommend just going to an a/v store and demoing some speakers. no one can tell you what sounds good to your ears better than yourself.

Any speaker that can be wall-mounted should be able to be ceiling mounted. it's just a matter of buying or making the right mount.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
AWESOME space! I think it's a mix of the colors and lighting.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts