AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I found this cool spreadsheet that someone put together where you basically punch in your SPL levels at each frequency and then it graphs it for you and compensates for the SPL meters in-accuracies. I did this with my VTF-3 MK3 and the results really surprised me, esp. since my system is more or less un-calibrated and I did this test using 160 kbps MP3 test tones! I plan to redo it with my Avia DVD however.

Basically all I did was set the volume on my Onkyo 805 AVR at -22 and the gain on the sub to half way or 12 O clock, played each tone and reordered what SPL I got. The sub was set to Max Output mode and yes I realize I am running it fairly hot (I usually have it on 11 O clock for movies) but regardless the sub never sounded stressed or made any port noise and even though this method isnt the proper way of doing it or scientific at all doesnt it still show that the sub is extremely flat, pretty much 100 Dbs across the board from 25-100 Hz with a few small +/- 1-3 Db peaks and dips. I think that is pretty good, I also want to try this in Max Extension mode. I have Ascend CBM-170 fronts and they as well as the sub are crossed at 80 Hz.

Subwoofer Frequency Response Test Model (VTF-3 MK3).zip 12.048828125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
8,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Smi /forum/post/17042720

A while back I found this cool spreadsheet that someone put together where you basically punch in your SPL levels at each frequency and then it graphs it for you and compensates for the SPL meters in-accuracies. I did this with my VTF-3 MK3 and the results really surprised me, esp. since my system is more or less un-calibrated and I did this test using 160 kbps MP3 test tones! I plan to redo it with my Avia DVD however.

Basically all I did was set the volume on my Onkyo 805 AVR at -22 and the gain on the sub to half way or 12 O clock, played each tone and reordered what SPL I got. The sub was set to Max Output mode and yes I realize I am running it fairly hot (I usually have it on 11 O clock for movies) but regardless the sub never sounded stressed or made any port noise and even though this method isn't the proper way of doing it or scientific at all doesn't it still show that the sub is extremely flat, pretty much 100 Dbs across the board from 25-100 Hz with a few small +/- 1-3 Db peaks and dips. I think that is pretty good, I also want to try this in Max Extension mode. I have Ascend CBM-170 fronts and they as well as the sub are crossed at 80 Hz.

If your numbers are accurate (nothing makes me think they are not), that is an enviable Frequency Response. Only thing is that Maximum Output pretty much kills response below 25 Hz.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
You guys are about 8 months late with this thread.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Considering it's an HSU (and a VTF series at that) this is almost no surprise.....in a good way I mean.

Careful turning the juice up on on your VTF (I have a VTF-1) you don't want to go more than half-way. It's not so much that they can't handle it as it is can the room or house handle it. If your not careful you'll have an unplanned room renovation. Ok, I'm exgaggerating a little, but still.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.