AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will include a few pics of my nearly-complete HT. I'll throw in a few comments with each.

First, and most interesting/appropriate to this forum, is the custom mount I fabricated for my 7200. It's laser-cut .090" aluminum, powder coated white. I did keyholes for easy removal (it's tied directly to the ceiling joists). I also have three neoprene washers between the projector and mount for fine-tuning leveling. Left/right aim is not adjustable, as my screen is on rails and can be moved horizontally. It's within 3/4" of room center.

More to come...

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a look at the 7200's connections. The s-video is for receiver's OSD menus only. The yellow cat 5 cable is for future use; it's not connected to anything yet. The M1 to DVI adapter is from Digital Connections. There's a piece of foam in the opening with a hole cut in it to keep the cables clear of the opening edges (and keep the insulation in the attic!).

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the screen wall with screen/speakers/subwoofer visible. Skylights (just out of top of frame) and windows at left need good light control. The carpeting and seating are temporary. I'm also planning lighting refinements. I love the vaulted ceiling at the screen end of this room; it's really nice and adds a spacious feel. The room is 28' x 14'. I may darken the walls later, but I'm going to try this for now. Switches and wall plates are being replaced and may be visible partially disassembled in some photos.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the back wall from the screen. A bar will be installed where the DVD's are laying on the floor. Note the mess in the kitchen (but you can watch the big screen while cooking!).

EDIT: If you look closely above the kitchen doorway (behind the projector), you can see the ceiling-mounted Klipsch reference series architectural speaker. I use my six-channel amp to synthesize Dolby EX and DTS ES from all 5.1 Dolby or DTS sources to help mask projector noise.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a look at the seating and fireplace area. Note high-tech light control (cardboard on plant shelf/windows) at upper right.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the equimment rack (Bell'O). I have a few wires to tidy up (testing and verification of IR repeater was in progress). The feature that allows you to route wires thru this rack is really nice. From the top down: NAD T 562, NAD T 762, Sony HD200, a mess of remotes (need to program the universal remote that came with the T 762)! I have to do a bit of noise control on the return air vent to the left of the rack--louvered vents are noisy.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the wiring in the closet behind the rack. I'll eventually move the equipment here. The water heater is in the opening at right, which I'm going to close out with a light sheet of veneer which can be easily removed. It's hard to keep this area tidy. I'm going to straighten/tie up the wires if I can ever stop enjoying the system long enough to get to it!

EDIT: I'll post the obligatory screen shot or two after I take a tripod over there in the next day or so.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should also mention that Ovation (west location) here in Indianapolis did the wiring (in walls/attic), and they have been a great partner in this project. The project has been bigger and more complex than I ever imagined, but a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A further note on the mount: For anyone mounting a 7200/MT8 on a sloped (vaulted) ceiling, I did the design in SolidWorks 2003. I'd be happy to send the file, if requested. The change of one angular dimension and the joist-to-joist dimension should be all that is needed to accommodate any sloped install. The file is a "sheet metal part", so it can be flattened with the press of a button for manufacturing. I can also coordinate the production of your mount at the same job shop/powder coater that did mine, for well under the cost of a commercial mount. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Things are looking pretty good.

Couldn't help but noticing that you are a prime candidate for a Pronto or some type of universal remote, especially after noting you've dedicated a whole audio rack shelf for the collection. :)

Bill

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks... I do have a Pronto, but the HTR-2 that comes with the T 762 is so good and straightforward (hey, it's an NAD!) that I plan to program that to run the entire system. I'm dreaming about a reliable HD recorder or HD disk-based PVR to fill that last shelf, but by the time I do the light control, lighting, carpeting, and new proper HT seating, I'll be really HT poor! Oh, did I mention the Klipsch reference 35 series front, center, surrounds, and sub I'm planning on buying in the next couple of weeks? The old KG 5.5's just don't move me when listening to familiar CD's I know every nuance of...

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I programmed the NAD HTR 2 remote last night and successfully replaced the other four remotes shown in the pictures. It was very easy--no problems. I should have done it sooner. It's cool to have the lights dim as a movie starts and come up when it ends automatically (I did macros for this).

I am planning to do a screen shot or two during tonight's HD NBA telecasts. Does anybody know if using the "freeze" function on a satellite tuner (during a nice still scene) causes any loss of PQ?

Todd/Indy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.