AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the planning commission to find out where I can build my HT. As it turns out I can't add on to my house or build it in the garage. Bummer for me.

What I can do is build an accessory building. Essentially this is a building that has to be 3 ft. from my property line and 5 ft. from my house. These dimensions also include the roof overhang. The only other restriction is that it can not have a kitchen.

With the dimensions of my backyard, my width is limited to 12 ft, but the length is only limited by the amount of yard I want to give up. So essentially I can have a really nice setup out there. Slightly wider than my spare bedroom, but definately a lot longer.

My wife and I don't really want to move so it looks like I'm going to be building this addition. Of course this this project would entail a whole lot more construction than remodeling a room and a whole lot more expense. I am now faced with learning everything I can about construction and deciding what I can do and what I'm going to need someone else to do for me.

Has anyone here ever done this and what kinds of problems can I expect? Can you recommend some links or reading material to help me out. As far as roof overhange goes, is there a general rule about how much one needs? I plan on visiting the planning commission again to fill in some of my details, but I would like to hear from fellow AVS'ers who may have done some similar things.

thanks,

Don

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here in Washington state we have a publication called the Little Nickle want add's. Within this paper there are MANY company's that advertise "prefabricated" buildings of various sizes. If you have a similar type paper in your area you may want to check it out. I'm sure if you find one you can get the plans and have a foundation poured to spec and then they could install the building for you. On the other hand you could go to an architect have him or her draw up some plans based on your specs and do as much of the work you can yourself and save some money. Talk to friends and family and I'm pretty sure they will know people who do good work on the side for extra money. Even if you don't have many skills its fun to learn the phases of building from framing to finishing and you walk away from the project knowing you did allot of it on your own. Good luck and ask questions. This site is great for info and people are more than happy to help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did see that auction and laughed. This wasn't going to be a shed it was going to be like a pool house. Very nicely constructed to match my house.

I say was, because my wife agreed to it under the assumption that it was going to go on the side of the house. I'm not sure where that miscommunication took place, but whenever I talk about tech. stuff she tends to sort of listen!

I made a rough layout of the building for her and she said, "I thought it was going to go on the side." After explaining the code requirements and that building it on the side would yield a room that is only about 6ft. wide, we agreed that it wouldn't be built. I mean she decided.

So I am faced with trying to soundproof my existing room enough that I can enjoy a moderately loud volume without disturbing anyone at night. The whole purpose of building the outside building was that it was going to be totally soundproof.

later,

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.