Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Next May I'll be building my first home and am adding a dedicated home theatre. My better half is great, she's been infected with the HT bug too!

Anyway, this is what I'm planning at the current time. I can essentially modify this in any way I want as it is an exterior room ie 3 sides are exterior walls. My father is a builder and I'm an Engineer so we have alot of flexibility here too. Can you comment on my dimensions and placements.

Oops, I forgot to mention I will be upgrading to a Sony 1292 or a similar quality PJ when I build.

Thanks in advance,

Wes

My HT Plans Page

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I think you've got a running start.

@$%! 4 subwoofers?

Just curios, any subwoofers in the back?

I assume not but just wanted to know.

Your plans and screen look sharp!

Your DIY screen looks great!

Are you still going to purchase a Stewart?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pcdoctor

No subs in the back, or should I say, no current plans for subs in the back. What are your feelings on them?

I am going to go with the Stewart screen. I've seen a few HT setups and have to say I really prefer the effect of the sound coming from behind the screen. No disembodied head syndrome.

I was also considering stepping the foundation so that the floor drops 1 or 2 steps instead of the podium for the rear couch.

Thanks for your input,

Wes

·
Registered
75 Posts
I might recommend eliminating the left software storage door in the rear. That way you could implement a 7.1 system with rear speakers on or inwall. At least wire for the capability in the future.

"Do it once, do it right".

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Homebread

Thank you very much, I will make it so. I was considering a cabinet/sofa table behind the rear sofa to accomidate DVD/Popcorn/Guinnessfridge. I believe this will be a better idea as it allows for the rear center.

More suggestions please :)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Mooneyass, I see you are a speaker DIY'er like me. Good for you. One concern I would have is about the subs in front. How are you going to build the boxes for them, or is it going to be one large box? The 1259 normally takes a 3.5-5 cu ft box each, so that means 14-20 cu ft worth of box. Definately do-able, but man, that sucker is going to be huge.

I would second Hoebread's comment on the 7.1 and the software storage area. Are you going to need storage area for the software other than what you can stuff in a closet of another room or in your equipment room behind everything? You also don't mention what the other door is for, the one on the bottom of the image. Is that needed?

It is also hard to tell how tall the podium is called out as. It looks like you put down 1', but that may be too tall, unless you have steps to get up to that, so that is another thing to consider. We have ours at 2x6 + two 3/4" layers of OSB, totaling about 7". I might reccomend another 2" overall though.

Have you taken into conseration that you may want shakers in the future?

If you have not seen them, take a look at my speaker project using the link below. Look at the Maverick 2CC for my Vifa/Audax MTM.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott

I'm planning 4 seperate enclosures for the 1259's each about 3.5 cu. ft sealed. If I nned to go below the floor somewhat with the cabinets, so be it. Yes, it'll be HUGE....

I've been a speaker DIY'er for more than half of my life. I am only 30 though. I've built alot of Vifa stuff over the years and am looking to take a step up when I do the theatre. Suggestions?

I'm thinking now that I'll step down to the front couch, instead of lifting the rear couch. This way I can go with a 1 foot elevation change over 2 steps. It'll be alot nicer, like you have stated.

Shakers, yes, I am planning to put a couple on each couch.

Once again, thanks for the responses

Your HT page is awsome, by the way! I must say I'm envious ;)

Wes

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Mooneyass, as far as suggestions for your speakers, I probably am not the best person to help you since I have only used the Vifa tweeters an my designs and have never used any of the mids or anything. If you are planning a trip to California any time soon though, you could come to my house and see what my Vifa/Audax speakers sound like!

You know, as far as the subs go, you may be better off putting two in the front and two in the back. Not completely mirrored, but offset some. Or maybe even on the side walls. The reason why I mention it is that it may blend better in your room. It is hard to say without being able to model the room properly to get the acoustics down. I plan to use two subs, one on the right hand side, front near the screen and the other between the rear loveseats. I don't want to have one sub and then have some real dead spots, so the two should help with that.

As far as being envious, we are all in that boat at some point. Then you just have to start bailing water or get out of the boat and join the rest of us in the deep end.

Come on in, the water is fine.

You will get there, it is a labor of love.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott

Next time I'm in California I'd love to stop by and have a listen/look!

Subs......I was thinking of putting them in the floor but I've read that the NHT-1259s dont like being horizontal. Supposedly their suspension system isnt made for it. I'm gonna be hard pressed to find another place for any of the subs. I think I need to do some acoustic modelling.

Does anyone know of any good modeling software out there for a reasonable or free price?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.