AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 7 months of stability (well, I was the only one who could use it, and it was a pain to use), my HPTC mysteriously stopped working tonight.

Looks like its time to rebuild.

I spent months and months figuring out the right combination of OS, Radeon drivers, ZoomPlayer, etc.

It would be great to get some direction on what is the latest and greatest.

I'm on a P4 w/ a 7200, Delta410, and want to use ZoomPlayer.

I'd like to use XP.

Which Radeon drivers?

Which version of ZP?

Direct X version?

Cinemaster filter version?

ATI Player version?

Anything else?

Thanks as always . . . . .

Kelly

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Any more info than 'stopped working' ??

I know this is horse gone / stable door / sliding lock type advice and thats never the best kind but a copy of Ghost or Drive Image Pro is a really good tool... When you install the OS.. When you install the drivers... When you install the apps.. When you have it all tweaked just right... BACK UP... This way no matter what goes wrong its about 20 mins work to get back to a known state...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes . . . . I didn't have a backup.

The first sign that things were amiss was that it booted in 800X600, and indicated that a new monitor had been attached. I had to reinstall the adapter to be able to return to XGA resolution.

If I tried to go to the advanced properties on the Display control pannel, I got a RUN32.DLL error.

Then, attempting to start ZoomPlayer, about 5 sequential error messages came up, the last one asking to make sure DirectX was installed.

Its probably more work to find the problem than to just rebuild (this time with Norton Ghost!) with XP, which I wanted to do anyway.

PP - what are you using OS/driver/player wise these days?

Kelly

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Still have 98 on one partition and 2 XP partitions...

As a 8500 should be in the box within a couple of days (I hope) I will be running the leaked drivers (I have no need for interlaced rez) and TT player...

Simple but effective... In fact most of my current evolution has been the audio side with a 410 sitting here and CD ripping to large RAID store as part of my plans..

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Don't feel too bad. My HTPC dies a few weeks ago as well. No backups either. I really should have known better...I was using an IBM 75 GXP drive. When it becamse commonly known that those drives are doomed to fail, I knew it was just a matter of time. One day, my htpc frooze up. I rebooted, and it started complaining about bad sectros/crosslinked files. I was tired and had something else on my mind, so I allowed scandisk to really f*ck things up.

Luckily, I was able to recover my mp3's. But the OS was hosed (couldn't run explorer, etc). Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I immediately bought a couple of western digital drives and replaced the 75 GXP in my main computer.

I'm taking this slow. I'm debating between the Asus P4T533-E or C mb. I suppose its also time to use windows xp. I've gotten a bit lazy, so I figure I'll wait for SP1, which should come out this september.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hey guys,

I still have an HTPC but also use a scaler. I just got the cs-1 and I had the CI 2.0 . These are great back-ups and weren't far behind in quality.

clopez

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
yah..I have an nrs. Thats why I'm not panicked

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because my theater is constant-height, HTPC is the only option for me.

So, I don't really have backups for hardware.

Guess that makes me extra stupid for not having a backup.

Thanks for the tip on sp1 for XP - didn't know that one.

PP - I'll look for your notes on the leaked drivers as well.

Kelly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.