AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story...short It is dead, but I don't know what died...

The fans power up. The HD LED twinkles then stops. The DVD Drive makes a normal noise with an LED twinkle. The light green light on the mobo is on. But the power LED does not light. There are no beeps. It just hangs.

Is it the MoBo? The CPU? Or Other...

The same result occurs with all the cards removed -- except video.

Components:

MoBo: Intel D850GB

CPU: P4 1.5

HD: Western Digital 100GB

DVD: Pioneer 106S

Video: Radeon 8500LE

Audio: M-Audio 410

HDTV: MyHD 120

NIC:?

Modem: Creative

Windows XP SP1

-Greg

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Had you changed anything before your system died?

It could be the PSU. Do you have access to a spare one that you could try?

_____

Axel

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you say hangs, you mean it stays in that state and never even makes it into the BIOS?

Could be power issues, but it sounds like you have it good enough that you should at least get to the BIOS. Do you get anything on the monitor at all?

Could also be mobo, CPU or RAM, but it's odd you don't get any diagnostic beeps (speaker is hooked up?) You need Video, CPU and RAM working to get to the BIOS (and a working mobo of course).

Need more details to try to trouble shoot it.

S

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

No access to a PSU (Power Supply Unit?). The PSU fan comes on. The CPU fan does not. The video card fan and the Box cooling fan powers fine.

I tried to update drivers. A failed miserable attempt. M-Audio 410 to .29 and Intels IDE Driver. I got out of the mess fine though. The PC was stable for a week. Then this. Last night, while I was listening to WMP9, it hung. On reboot, it gave me the Safe Mode--Last known config screen. I chose normal boot. Then it gave me a blue screen with 0x00000008E. Microsoft.com KB says I should install sp1 to fix. But I already did. I then choose Last known config. It booted fine. This afternoon I went back down to play and it was dead.

Speakers are hooked up. In addtion, the MoBo has a speaker on it. I have had it give me error beeps in the past - keyboard issues...

It never makes it to the BIOS. The Screen stays black.

-Greg

·
Registered
582 Posts
sounds exactly like a power supply problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well if all the fans come on except the CPU fan, the power supply is probably fine.

By the sounds of it, the CPU may be fried (without cooling, this is not hard to do.)

I would at least try to mount a different fan on the CPU, or a different HSF, or a different CPU (whatever your mobo can handle, if you have a spare one, but only with cooling!)

Any idea when the CPU fan stopped working?

From what you've said, sounds like the fan died (or maybe just a bad connection?) your system crashed when the CPU overheated. You reboot (immediately?) CPU has some time to cool down with with heatsink, but overheats and you crash.

Since it's only a 1.5GHz, it's not running as hot as the newer ones, so you may be able to boot up, especially if the system has been off a while, before your CPU would get so hot it stopped working. This does not always kill the CPU, since it basically stops doing anything, and then starts to cool down. But without a fan, this becomes really bad for the CPU.

I'd expect you could at least get into the BIOS before the CPU overheated, but if the last time you tried, the system was dead cold, then I'm afraid the CPU may be toast.

Not saying the PSU is fine and dandy, but there is no way the PSU fan and video fan would come on, and drives would get power, with the exception of the CPU fan, and have this be a PSU problem. If the CPU has been operated without proper cooling, then this sounds like a simple case of CPU damage.

The easiest way to confirm this would be to swap in another CPU (with fan) and see if you boot up fine. I've had PSU's kill components before due to putting out bad voltages, so I'm not ruling out the PSU, so keep that in mind when borrowing a friends (or one you really need). But the CPU fan not working sound like a big red flag here, and I'd be surprised if it was the PSU that was the cause. If the CPU died with proper cooling, then the PSU would be suspect.

good luck!

S

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
pull the cpu fan and try it on another computer on the aux fan header.. if it doesnt work get your nose in there and see if you smell burnt electronics. clear the cmos and replace the cpu fan and see if that fixes it.. also get a spare psu.. even a 19 buck 250/300watt one will be good for testing.. 5volt side might not be working allowing the mobo to power up..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All,

I suspect it is a damaged CPU, since I tried running it several times before it failed completely. I also suspect that the fan failed first which caused the CPU to fail. If this logic holds then it must be a PSU failure. Does this sound correct?

I will also do some sniffing.

I'm kind of disappointed it probably is not the MoBo, since I wanted a reason to buy a newer one;)

-Greg

·
Registered
667 Posts
It doesn't sound like a PSU issue at all, but more like a faulty heat sink fan that started a chain reaction to a fried CPU.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Next time make sure your Power Management in Bios shuts down the computer when temp is above, say, 75 Celsius.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yup sounds like a fried CPU. Take the cpu out and give it a good whif. Smell a burn?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU Galileo2000. I didn't think to go into the power management setting when I build the PC.

Do you think a fan failure would count for the CPU warrantee. It is two years old and intel has a 3 year warrantee.

-Greg

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
You can sure try, you have nothing to lose.

But you know, your case is not very strong, to put it mildly:)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
They'll likely take it back for you, if the cooler was an Intel factory cooler and it went tits up on you causing the failure then you have a better case for that. If it's one you put on you're a little more out of luck. Worst case is they say no, it's not like the CPU will come back by any means you'll be able to do.

But I would agree with most, looks to be a CPU issue.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Intel's retail packages (heatsink/fan and CPU) have 3 year warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.