AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I decided to build a HTPC for all my media and also so I could game it up in the living room on my 42" 1080P LCD.

I am currently using media portal which is an awesome program for all my media.

Everything went really well and I am extremely happy with this case. My temps are really good for small form factor.

Here are the specs.

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG02

PSU: Corsair 650 TX

Board: ASUS P5QPL-VM EPU

CPU: E7500 @ 3.4 with stock heatsink

Ram: 4GB XMS2 DDR2 800 from other pc

GPU: GTX 260 from other pc I am using the SPDIF cable hooked up to the GPU as well so I can just use HDMI for audio/video and it is working really well.

Optical: LG DVD Burner

HDD:

500 GB Western Digital Black///Main OS

500 GB Western Digital Black///Gaming

1500 GB Seagate Barracuda///Meida I took someones advice and got another drive haha.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Yes, one of 88, and it looks like you have it together and no issues. I wondered about BD and your OS. MP looks nice. OK, now I see it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/17006091

Yes, one of 88, and it looks like you have it together and no issues. I wondered about BD and your OS. MP looks nice. OK, now I see it.

If you are referring to BD being Blu Ray then well I have a PS3 that works very good for blu ray.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What IR reciever are you using? I have a harmony 1100, was it a pain to get the harmony working with moving pictures?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenac /forum/post/17006138

If you are referring to BD being Blu Ray then well I have a PS3 that works very good for blu ray.

How does that meld with MP?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 /forum/post/17006159

What software are you using? Looks really nice!

Also what are you using for an IR receiver?

I am using Media Portal

And I am using the IR receiver that came with this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880121003

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninfamous /forum/post/17006203

What IR reciever are you using? I have a harmony 1100, was it a pain to get the harmony working with moving pictures?

No it wasn't to bad just selected my devices in the database and chose the remote that the IR came with and did some custom buttons. Also just selected MCE in the Media Portal Config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/17006325

How does that meld with MP?

It doesn't I just use my PS3 if I want to watch a Blu Ray. I only have a couple Blu Rays and get some from Netflix. Didn't see a point in buying a Blu Ray Drive for my PC when I have a PS3 siting right next to the HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/17006365

Bowena, congratulations on a very nice setup. I didnt see any mention of TV tuners. Do you only have one TV at your home that you watch TV recordings with?

I have 2 TV's but I have comcast so would there be any reason to get one. Would I get free channels this is something that I am interested in doing if it saves money or do you still need your regular cable. Would it just act as a Set Top Box. If I would still need my cable and basically it just acts like a set top box to control channels then I have no need for it. I don't record any TV either so meh. And the Harmony 520 works great one press of a button and my cable turns on, turns tv to correct input, turns everything else off. And I am just fine with comcast. Unless you wanna school me on why I should get one then go for it.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
It doesnt sound like you watch TV much; maybe just to catch a show thats on without using your HTPC. So, your setup does make sense. Everyone has different budgets, needs, and wants; which makes setting up home theaters so appealing with many different choices. For my hoursehold, we use Comcast too, however, the requirments are at a much different scale. Have fun with you new setup! Enjoy..

Quote:
I have 2 TV's but I have comcast so would there be any reason to get one. Would I get free channels this is something that I am interested in doing if it saves money or do you still need your regular cable. Would it just act as a Set Top Box. If I would still need my cable and basically it just acts like a set top box to control channels then I have no need for it. I don't record any TV either so meh. And the Harmony 520 works great one press of a button and my cable turns on, turns tv to correct input, turns everything else off. And I am just fine with comcast. Unless you wanna school me on why I should get one then go for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePhil /forum/post/17006803

Very Poor

Why use a motherboard with onboard HDMI then nail a DVI video card in it ?

Do your homework before making assumptions. I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter while using the SPDIF cable to get the audio through the HDMI as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePhil /forum/post/17006803

Very Poor

Why use a motherboard with onboard HDMI then nail a DVI video card in it ?

I think what he was saying was, that you already had a HDMI capable motherboard, why add the video card that only has DVI.

You might have been able to not use the 260 and just used the on-board video.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratwa /forum/post/17007093

I think what he was saying was, that you already had a HDMI capable motherboard, why add the video card that only has DVI.

You might have been able to not use the 260 and just used the on-board video.

Well that wouldn't get me very good game performance now would it. And HDMI/DVI are the same thing.

The only difference is that HDMI is able to do audio as well.

But in my case EVGA supplies a DVI/HDMI adapter that carries the audio over the HDMI cable. You just hook a SPDIF cable from the internal header on motherboard to the 260 SPDIF header.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I think that there are many people who are being a bit too critical without having any good reason. Once in a while its a breath of fresh air to see someone show off a new htpc setup they just built.

Anyway, I think he intends to use it for gaming too; at least, that's what I got from when he said he's "gaming it up" in his first post. The embedded Intel display adapter on the motherboard is practically useless for games; plus, doesnt offer the same level of application compatibility support for directX/EVR as the 260.

In my opinion, I think he has a nice looking HTPC both inside and out; and, wish him a lot of enjoyment on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/17007131

I think that there are many people who are being a bit too critical without having any good reason. Once in a while its a breath of fresh air to see someone show off a new htpc setup they just built.

Anyway, I think he intends to use it for gaming too; at least, that's what I got from when he said he's "gaming it up" in his first post. The embedded Intel display adapter on the motherboard is practically useless for games; plus, doesnt offer the same level of application compatibility support for directX/EVR as the 260.

In my opinion, I think he has a nice looking HTPC both inside and out; and, wish him a lot of enjoyment on it.

Oh I agree, I was just saying what I though the other person meant. Not what I was thinking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET /forum/post/17007131

Exactly thank you and yes I am really enjoying this
. To be honest a little more then my water cooled main gaming PC.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what about noise ?

isn't 260 a bit noisy ? expecially in the quiet while watching a movie..

BHH

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.