AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AMD Athlon 750 on an Socket A ASUS A7V 133 MB with 300MB Ram.

I am using a Radeon 8500 64DDR V Card, Creative Live Value Sound and a Zoltrix TV Genie capture card which I only use for s-video from sattellite.

For software I am running Win 98 SE, DScaler, Power DVD 3 and when neccessary Powerstrip. I have installed the latest 4 in 1 drivers from VIA which seemed to help somewhat.

I find the sys crashes quite often and will not shut down properly if I have a DVD in the drive. It will shut down if I rem the DVD or open the tray. Maybe I am wrong but I feel the sys should be rock solid with the small demand I am placing on it. I never run games. If I give mouse commands in rapid succesion it WILL crash. It is the type of crash that will allow no keyboard I/P so you have to reboot from the box.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggesstions.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
hi, i would run as far away from that via chipset as possible..i had a and k6-2 500 mhz w/via chipset and no matter what i did it would be crash city.just as you said anything that i did could cause it.if i didn't let a dvd play all the way thru i risked a crash.i'm goinmg totally intel now...so hopefully things will be a bit more stable.

brickie

i also had all the latest via patches and it did no good!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Steve,

Can I ask what kind of mouse/keyboard you're using? I just went through weeks of frustration with total freezes and lock-ups like you've got. As soon as I removed my USB wireless keyboard and mouse, replacing them with standard PS2 versions, my troubles ended.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard off of the reg PS2 connections. Unfortunately this is my only option as my PC is SO loud I have to have it in a seperate room.

In the meantime I am in the process of updating my bios and switching to Win 2000.

WHAT DO YOU THINK????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.