AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced the following?

I have an HTPC (MCE 2005) connected to my Motorola 6412 (from Comcast) through the firewire port.

I use it to capture HD streams and for this purpose it works great. I used the meidvhs drivers for the firewire port and have installed both the Panasonic and the Motorola 6412 device drivers for it. I can capture streams fine with either device.

However, occasionally, when I turn on my HTPC the Motorola box is reset if it happens to be on. It turns off and then on and the Guide data is lost! It is as if a hardware reset or a reboot occurs on the 6412 and all the data on the box have to be re-downloaded!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Obviously, this happens during the startup of Windows when it initializes all the devices connected to it. For some reason it must be sending a reset signal to the 6412 through the firewire port. The most puzzling fact is that it does not happen everytime though! It occurs in approximately in 1 out 5 cold starts. It has never happened during a restart (if restart Windows after it has already been started). It happens only when the computer is started from being off.

I disabled the Motorola driver thinking that this would fix it, but it did not help. It still occurs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW, is there a way to force the Guide download to occur after such an event instead of waiting for it? I tried holding the Guide button on the front panel for 5 seconds, but that did not seem to help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmm, never saw that but after not using my HTPC for a few weeks I had a ominous problem. My 6412 Firewire port is not working anymore. Neither my tv or my htpc can see it, but they see each other (even though the 6412 is connected between them).

Not sure if these things are related, but I'll keep looking.

Funny thing, what I really miss is this: Turning off the TV would turn off the 6412 if firewire is connected. Not being used, just connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see if your firewire port is still active on your 6412. Maybe it got turned off by Comcast?

To do that, go to the Status Page of the 6412 and check out the Interface Options menu. Do the following:

DCT6412 should be on

Press Cable, Power off, Select, Select
d01 GENERAL STATUS
d02 PURCHASE STATUS
d03 OOB STATUS - Tuner inside the 6412 that interprets signal levels sent from the headend
d04 INBAND STATUS - Information about both tuners (only relevant for digital channels).

SNR = Signal to Noise ratio - the higher this number the better

AGC = Automatic Gain Control - the lower this number the better. Represents amount of work the box is doing to keep the signal tuned to the "sweet spot".

CORRECTABLE ERRORS - Number of error corrections in the last 5 second sample. These errors don't cause any visual distortion of the digital channel but could indicate a signal level problem.

NON-CORRECTABLE ERRORS - Number of hard uncorrectable errors in the last 5 second sample. If you are seeing these then there is definately a problem and you will see image distortion.
d05 UNIT ADDRESS
d06 CURRENT CHANNEL STATUS - More information about both tuners including the Inband (carrier) frequency of each and other flags such as encryption

ENC = Encrypted

CLR = Unencrypted

INBAND FREQUENCY = midpoint frequency of the 6MHZ carrier channel. Analog channels each occupy their own carrier channel, several digital channels can occupy a single carrier channel.
d07 UPSTREAM MODEM - Internal cable modem upload signal readings (used for PPV, VOD, etc.)

If there is no return path to the headend this page will indicate a problem.
d08 CODE MODULES - Firmware and software versions
d09 MEMORY CONFIG - RAM information
d10 KEYPAD/LED
d11 INTERFACE STATUS - Information about I/O port status (installed or not)
d12 USER SETTINGS STATUS - Information about user selected settings for the box, including video output
d13 PVR/HDD STATUS - PVR information including current and max temperature, and details about hard drive space and partition allocation
d14 INTERACTIVE STATUS - More cable modem information
E EXIT

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmm, you might be on to something ... Anyways, I came back today and the Firewire port is alive and speaking with my TV again. Nothing else changed, no power outages, HTPC not even powered up, etc... just decided to come back. Probably was Comcast mucking about.

Funny thing is that I looked in the Status pages when it was not working, and I'm pretty sure that Firewire was active. Oh well, I guess you are on your own with the strange problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.