Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction

So, over the past year or so I've been collecting parts for my HTPC, and I think the time has come to finalise this process. I'm gonna describe my hard requirements, my wishlist, and what I think I still need, and I'd appreciate muchly any comment.

Requirements:

The thing will have to replace my current DVD player. That means it will have to play DVDs in NTSC and PAL, automatically selected on the basis of source material, regionfree, and SVCD and VCD in both PAL and NTSC. (Or would scaling NTSC to PAL result in a better image? My TV doesn't handle any of the really good resolutions.)

It will *not* have to deal with HD in any form as I neither have any sources nor output devices for it.

It will have to interface to my elderly 25" Philips Matchline CRT, which means it has to output preferably RGB Scart (which I believe is RGB + comp sync at 480i/576i -- I can solder my own cables no problem), though I can be happy for now with S-video.

It will have to interface with my stereo, in other words, a line out.

Wishes:

Automatic selection of program to use for playing disc depending on the disc inserted.

Divx playing.

Discrete analog 5.1 out, so I can easily and cheaply go to multichannel.

SPDIF out, just in case I buy a real receiver someday.

Video/RF in, for both scaler and PVR purposes.

Controlled by a simple remote.

Hardware already assembled:

Asus A7V333 Motherboard for AMD up to XP 2200+ or thereabouts.

Duron 1000 + original Golden Orb cooler

256 megs of DDR

Elderly Ati All in wonder card based on Rage Pro chipset

Wireless RF PS/2 keyboard/mouse remote-like thing, black to match audio components, with laptop keyboard and joystick mouse.

Power Supply

Creative 6x DVDROM drive. RPC1, very quiet while playing DVDs (it's currently in my standalone, whose dvdrom drive died a year ago)

What I still need

Hard Drive. Will get something from somewhere around the house.

Case. Can wait for now, can assemble thing on a table (the motherboard had 180 days uptime like that just previous)

Sound card. I'm thinking probably something from the Live or Audigy stable, but which? And are there any cheaper alternatives that are just as good?

IR input/output device, with or without remote control.

Possibly a faster processor, will see after is built if Duron's up to the job.

Network card. Will get a Realtek somewhere.

Generic AGP graphics card somewhere so I can get the AIW from its current position.

Software config

This is where I'm really in the dark, being a computer hardware geek and not so much an HT geek.

I'd say XP as an OS, but I'd consider win2k or 98SE if anyone knows of pressing reasons to use those.

WinDVD.

PowerDVD.

Zoom Player, Sonic filters

DivX codec packs.

DVD genie, of course.

Perhaps TheaterTek? The description of their software sounds good, but is it worth plonking down the 70 bucks, especially given my very modest AV output devices?

Girder

MainLobby

Anything else?

What all am I missing for my very basic HTPC config?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
What all am I missing for my very basic HTPC config?
Nothing... other than going through all the other threads on this forum and using the search button to answer your questions for yourself!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by fcg_vi
Nothing... other than going through all the other threads on this forum and using the search button to answer your questions for yourself!
Well, yes, OK, but I'm having a hard time coming up with searchterms to resemble "Am I missing anything?". Not to mention that going through *all* the threads on this forum would probably take me a year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.