AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm sure these threads come very frequently but I built a HTPC a while back and noticed that it does 720p decent but totally dies on 1080P. Looking for maybe what component I need to upgrade of software I should change. I've seen lesser systems do 1080P just fine.

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

processor: Intel P4 3GHz

Ram: 3 gigs

Vid card: Asus HD 3470

I have tried a variety of players and codecs but even Planet Earth 720 is choppy. I run to video to my TV with DVI->HDMI. I have been told to just get a 2.5ghz Core Duo but any advice would help.

I have a friend running a much less powerful pc with less ram using just MPC and ffdshow and can play Planet Earth just fine via VGA.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepius /forum/post/15571050

Hi everyone,

I'm sure these threads come very frequently but I built a HTPC a while back and noticed that it does 720p decent but totally dies on 1080P. Looking for maybe what component I need to upgrade of software I should change. I've seen lesser systems do 1080P just fine.

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

processor: Intel P4 3GHz

Ram: 3 gigs

Vid card: Asus HD 3470

I have tried a variety of players and codecs but even Planet Earth 720 is choppy. I run to video to my TV with DVI->HDMI. I have been told to just get a 2.5ghz Core Duo but any advice would help.

I have a friend running a much less powerful pc with less ram using just MPC and ffdshow and can play Planet Earth just fine via VGA.

Thanks!!

Personally I would swap the P4 for a C2D just to reduce heat/noise.

Regarding the 1080p problems it could be many things. I suggest you start by disabling and uninstalling everything that is not absolutely 100% required.

What MPEG2 decoder are you using? Also on XP the variations of Video driver to MPEG2 decoder to playback software is very tricky.

Personally I gave up on XP MCE because of this, out of the box Vista worked flawlessly for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepius /forum/post/15571050

I doubt that very much. A P4 3ghz is a very old, and very slow processor. Are you using the processor's clock speed as your definition of 'power'? If so, that's completely incorrect - a 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo CPU will spit on your P4 3ghz.

The problem is your processor. Upgrade it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
lol +1 for what garret said about the cpu:

I add get win 7 x32 beta (I wouldn't buy vista even though it works well)

win 7 x64 and IE 8 beta...I had trouble browsing many sites.

Cheers, Duder

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely understand than a 1.8ghz C2D is way faster than a P4. I truthfully do have a friend with an old AMD processor, older than my P4 with only a gig of ram and just onboard video that can handle his 720 fine.

As far as MPEG2 decoder I'm not sure. Right now I have installed the videocard drivers, power dvd 8, and media player classic. I don't believe I have any other codecs installed.

I was looking at a 2.0ghz C2D most likely.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Then you aren't comparing the same media. '720p' is a resolution, not a bitrate, codec, or anything else. Is he playing 720p avi files encoded with low-bitrate Xvid + mp3 audio, while you play 720p mkv encoded with high-bitrate H.264 with AC3 audio?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if you remember but old AMD eats old P4 then spits it out, the spits on it, then steps on it. Either way get a core2, problem solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course check the obvious things, like are your harddrives/cdroms using ultra dma mode. no buggy virus scanner etc slowing things down (try disabling/uninstalling it to see the speed difference). If its the virus scanner, reinstall might do the trick otherwise get a diff one.

Also check your indexing service settings, and other services that might be running the in the background. Using the task manager to see what processes are taking up the most cpu. When nothing is running, the machine should be near 0 to 2 or 3% cpu usage (it might jump from 0 to 2 or 3 once in a while). Could be a trojan etc thats causing a slowdown etc. I think for 720p, you should be ok. If you have the luxury of a spare harddrive, remove the old one, and reinstall xp on the new one and install just the video/sound drivers and see if you can play the video anybetter. Assuming you aren't using a buggy/virus ridden pirated xp install cd.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your current setup is fine minus the cpu is what we're saying.

Yes it's fine for 720p but you want 1080p correct?

Just upgrade to any C2D (check with Gigabyte site on your boards cpu list)

Then there will be no debate on CPU's and you eliminate that as your possible bottleneck. Simd like SSE4 may help too with C2D.

Otherwise it's prolly a software-config issue.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm sorry, maybe I missed something, but where does he mention MPEG2?

Is it possible his friend is viewing MPEG2 720p (easy to decode), but he is looking at x.264 720p (hard to decode)? That may account for the discrepency. Also, if he's looking at 1080p, it almost certainly is not MPEG2, as the filesize would be huge, and we'd need to know what is AVC/X264 decoder was instead, right?

·
Registered
471 Posts
You don't say what software you are using for playback so we don't know if you are using hardware acceleration.

That processor is pretty old as well.

If you have a lot of extraneous programs running in the tray or in the background, your PC could be running below par.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For playback I have tried a few different things. I typically use media player classic which doesn't support any acceleration. I did try powerdvd before with acceleration On and it seemed to make a difference but not all the files would play. Those are really the only 2 players I have tried.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepius /forum/post/15881789

For playback I have tried a few different things. I typically use media player classic which doesn't support any acceleration. I did try powerdvd before with acceleration On and it seemed to make a difference but not all the files would play. Those are really the only 2 players I have tried.

yes, MPC does support acceleration. Try this .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the link. I am pretty sure I have tried the recommendations at this link before but to no avail, however for arguments sake I will try it again to be sure. I would think that even with a crappy processor my GPU should still be able to handle the content.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I followed the instructions after re-formatting my PC this morning and still no dice. Even a 720 Planet Earth mkv is still pretty laggy. I did check my system during the playback and was using only about 5% of my PC so I assume the acceleration is working properly. Looks like my processor is just too weak even for mediocre content.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts