Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have:

a Zalman Flower Heatsink with the fan set to slowest.

a Zalman Case fan

a Zalman Heatpipe VGA cooler on my 9700

an Antec TruPower 380watt PSU.

When I first turn my PC on, it's so quiet that you can't tell it's on, but, after about an 30 minutes, the PSU fan gets quite noisy which is really annoying during movies.

Any idea how I can stop this?

Just as a note - As my CPU heat sink is seated right up close to the inside PSU fan, I decided to point the CPU fan down to blow air through the fan.

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Has it been always like this (getting noisy after some 1/2h)? Sounds like your PSU has temp controlled speed for the PSU fan. You could swap the PSU fan for a more quiet one (Panaflo or Papst).

I assume your case fan is powerful enough to suck the warm air out of the case and let not the PSU fans do it…

_____

Axel

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it has always been like this. I think the fan in the PSU is a quiet fan, but it just ends up spinning to fast. I bought the Antec because everyone said they are a great silent PSU. The case fan is a standard Zalman silent 80mm fan but I'm not sure if it's taking the load off the PSU fans.

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Do you monitor the temps of your system? If so, what are they?

I initially had my HTPC sitting on top of my amp in my HiFi rack. The HTPC got pretty warm just by the heat the amp emitted.... Now having swapped their positions, it is much better this way...

______

Axel

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Confirming what Axel says, check your temps.

I have a nearly identical system to yours and my powersupply fan, also a TruePower380, never goes into high speed mode.

If your PS is getting hot enough that it needs to crank up the fan speed you could be headed for premature PS failure.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I used to have a similar problem. I think that you need to improve your overall airflow. I have two Zalman 92mm case fans which run a half speed all the time. This means that power supply only needs to cool itself becuase the ambient case temperature is low. (NOTE: The 92mm fans move as much air at half speed as 80mm fans at full speed).

You may not need to open you case up for 92mm fans but if you have two quiet 80mm fans one pushing air into the case and the other (the one in the back) pulling the hot air out then your PSU fan should be able to relax.

Recently my PSU fans were coming on and annoying me so I sped up the case fans a touch and it quit doing it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You could try reversing the fan in the PSU (you will have to remove the fan and turn it around.) That way the PSU fan is pulling in ambient air to cool the power supply. Let the case fans do the exhausting of all the warm air.

I've found it's different with every case/setup. You have to experiment to find what works for your setup.

With my D-Vine 4 case, setup, the PSU fan (120mm) is running at 6v and it's reversed and blows directly on the Zalman flower cooler. The Zalman fan is blowing away from the flower, towards the top of the case. I left the 2 60mm fan holes open and removed the pci slot cover next to the MyHD card.

I have never see CPU temp over 51c, or the mother board over 41c. I've experienced no lock ups or other such craziness... I'd like to see temps 10c lower on both CPU and mother board, but I don't know if it's possible to do without increasing the noise.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You simply need more case fans. I use two 80MM Panaflo L1A's for output and a 120mm for input, and my power supply always stays on the quietest setting.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I'll check the temperatures tonight. Could you guys let me know if they are two high?

I don't really want to open up the PSU so I'll have to try other fan configs. Maybe the CPU fan is blowing down into the heatsink and then through the PSU, I'm actually blowing too much warm air into the PSU itself. Maybe if I switch the CPU fan round, it will blow some of the CPU heat up and away from the PSU.

While I appreciate that I could add more fans, I was always under the impression that I shouldn't have many because of the added noise, even with quiet fans?

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

I am using a Enlight case which was one of the few desktops I could find that is the same width as Hi-Fi components and fits a full ATX PSU. It's sprayed black and I've customized a 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch panel to hold USB, Firewire and IRman ports.

Looks very nice next to my Denon Amp.

Link Here

It also only cost me £38.

As you can see I have placed my case fan behind the grill in the front panel and it is blowing cold air into the case. There are grills for two rear case fans but I think they are too small and I'm not sure theres room there anyway because of the Flower heatsink.

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Vic;

If I understand you correctly you have no fan moving warm air out, only one sucking cold air in. I think one is usually better off having it the other way around. See, if you cannot fit at least one fan in the rear to get rid of your warm air, otherwise all the warm air has to go through the PSU. This could explain why it runs in high speed....

_____

Axel

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok cool, we're getting somewhere. Yes, I have one case fan sucking cold air in and the PSU taking it out.

I will swop it around a give it a go. I was concerned that i would be creating contradictory air flows and making things worse (The same goes for setting the CPU fan blowing up instead of down.)

What is everyones take on this?

As promised I have the details from Asus probe. I'm not sure how accurate they are but:

On switch on -

CPU - 84f

MB - 60f

PWR FAN - 1412

After 15 mins -

CPU - 120

MB - 64

PWR FAN - 1695

After 45 mins-

CPU - 120

MB - 69

PWR FAN - 1748

What do you think?

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Vic;

CPU temps should to be ok. But your mobo temps seem to be too low, unless your are posting from Greenland or the Antarctica :D...

I am also a bit surprised that a difference in fan RPM of about 300 would make such a difference in noise, as you had described.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, sorry axel,

My pwr fan speed continues to increase. Unfortunately, last night I stopped logging the changes because I was reinstalling windows! It was certainly audable after 45 mins but not as bad as after an hour.

Vic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.