AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the mission is to build a HTPC. Primary reason - see if I can build one that is worthwhile (for the hell of it). Downside of that reason - no need, so no budget from the wife. So, I am going with one of the free front-ends.

What will I be using the HTPC for? Primarily as a media server, but I also would like to eventually set it up to PVR my local channels (I have D*TV w/no locals).

I have already installed MyHTPC and played with it on another system, and I like it a little more than what I am seeing at xlobby's website, but I thought I would ask the experts. The big problem I see is that myHTPC seems to be a lot more TV friendly. Is this a bad assumption?

Fire away, you are the experts!

Jeff

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went with xlobby because of it's clent-server capabilities. I couldn't live without it.

It is still a bit immature, but Steven has made great strides. It even has multi-zone audio built in now.

It is highly customizable.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think it really comes down to subjective choices and what you want to do -- both are very good programs. I personally prefer myhtpc, but I think xlobby is an excellent program, too. Try out both, and use the one you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.