Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** MY QUESTIONS ***

Your first response didn't answer my quesion. Here it is again: I am a current owner of a Sony KV-32XBR400 Wega TV. I am interested in using this as a monitor for my home theater personal computer (HTPC). I can customise the output of my HTPC to meet the exact specifications of the TV, but that TV info does not appear to be available to me. What I am looking for is the exact number of lines of horizontal and vertical resolution. At one point I read a rumor that the maximum horizontal lines of resultion was ~721?) I will be connecting using the component video (input #5) connection as well as one of the S-video connections. Also, I would appreciate information regarding the point where the TV does the anamorphic squeeze (ie: what is the highest resolution and refresh rate I can use for viewing 4:3 material before the 16:9 picture kicks in). I am not interested in making the product specifications look good or bad, I just want the actual true information so I can make best use of my purchased product and not damage it in the process by feeding it the incorrect signal. Thanks! -Rick

*** REPLY from: The SONY Internet Group Online Support & Services Center CM66 Ginny ***

Thank you for contacting SONY. TV'S are not designed to be used as PC monitors. A TV'S resolution is set between 800*600 to 640*480. Standard video output aspect ratio of a TV is 4:3. 16:9 is the industry standard aspect ratio for digital video output. When video is output from a PC, or ANY digital source, to a standard, non-digital TV, viewed at a resolution of 800x600, there will be black bands at the top and bottom of the display. When viewed at a resolution of 640x480 the TV screen will be too small to allow the entire display to be viewed. Since the hardware and software in the PC systems is designed primarily for Digital video input and output, the only way to have completely viewable video output to a standard TV at 640x480 resolution would be to replace the digital video card in the PC system with an analog video output card or to convert the digital video output signal to analog. This would correct any Bands, however this would not solve any resolution issues. A card that is designed for TV to a PC hook-up for laptops and computer aided presentations would be the only solution. Sony does not manufacture such a card. Please visit your local computer store or contact the manufacture of your PC for product information. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

*** MY THOUGHTS ***

I still wish they answered my questions! Clearly she isnt aware of numerous available PC hardware/software/connection products ... and not that I'd buy it anyway, but it doesn't sound like she wants to sell the Sony Vaio.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Richard,

You seem to not be saying the magic word...progressive. Sony is partially right in that if you connect via s-video or 480i over component, you won't have much control.

I doubt they have the information you are seeking, since it is not a common application at all.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh ... I'll mention that next time I reply. Here is the next/final round of it after I once again repeated my questions ...

*** SONY WROTE ***

Thank you for contacting SONY. The specification for lines of resolution, as it relates to televisions, is not standardized in the electronics industry. The way that one company measures their units to provide this specification may not be the same way another company would measure their units for this specification. One manufacturer may list 750 lines of resolution, while a different manufacturer's unit might list 1000 lines of resolution. If their formula is not the same way for arriving at their specifications for both units, it would be meaningless and misleading. Due to the fact that there is no industry standard for measuring lines of resolution, as it relates to televisions, Sony Electronics no longer provides this specification. Regretfully, many engineering specifications are proprietary and not

published. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

*** I WROTE ***

So there is no way I will ever know this information? I dont care for comparisson purposes ... I just want to know for my own personal use. I dont care how other companies do it ... I just want to know how Sony does it. Information such as, "X-lines based on this method of calculation" would be very helpful to me. Since I want it so I can make best use of my own TV set, the info would NOT be meaningless or useless. Other

manufacturers DO provide this information. If Sony refuseses to provide me with this information, then I will assume it is because there is something Sony wants to hide.

*** SONY WROTE ***

Thank you for contacting SONY. We apologize, however, Sony proprietary information is unpublished and not available. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

*** CONCLUSION ***

(I did not email this) Oh, well ... I give up. Guess I'll just have to count them some time when I cant sleep. It cant be too high anyway if they refuse to provide the number.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.