AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured since I had been looking at all your guys setups I would post my humbe one as well, though not nearly as good as most of yours. This is kinda my first home theater seeing as I just bought my first home and now have the privacy to do so. Its not much but for now most of my money goes into updating the home and what not. You can kinda tell its a 23 year olds bachloer pad =)

One problem that Im having though is that my rear sound field for my movies isnt as defined as I would like it to be. Wondering if my surrounds need better placing?

Samsung 50` Plasma 720P

Sony bdp-s350 Blu-Ray

Onkyo HTIB s5100

HD Cable

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Welcome,

Clean setup, I love the rug and the room looks great.

LOL, I can tell you're already getting upgraditis!!! Complaining about the rear speakers!!!
Just joking... That might be because of a number of reasons like settings, the speakers themselves or the way that particular movie was recorded. Personally I would try to hang them on the rear wall pointing down and towards the couch.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Hello Sagboy.

I agree with my ddgtr, very nice and clean system.

I'm very partial to the Samsung 50". It reminds me of the one I have! The HP-S5053! But yours looks like the 5054! Not bad for a 23 year older.

One suggestion, try to organize your cables in the rear. Doing that will enhance the aesthetic value of your system.

Regards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input you guys, appreciate it. Ive tried messing with the reciever settings but I think your right, Im probably going to wall amount the rears on the other side of the windows. As for the cable spaghetti? Ive tried lol, but I suck at the cable management part of HT :/. Ill have to spend an afternoon pulling everything out and trying to clean it up.

Once agian thanks for the input!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol funny you should say that, the GF picked those out, she does the decorating
. But seriously the reason why we went with those was because they matched the large bay window curtains in the living room. Trying to find that kinda color I guess is pretty hard....

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
One problem that Im having though is that my rear sound field for my movies isnt as defined as I would like it to be. Wondering if my surrounds need better placing?

Maybe put the back speakers on the same stands as your fronts and slightly behind the couch firing at the your sweet spot.

Here is a link to illustrate what I'm talking about.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sagboy,

Very nice room there. The furniture is great as is the rug. I think placement of the surround speakers on the walls just outside of the windows should provide a much better experience, when using 5.1 surround sound. With a 5.1 speaker setup, it's preferred and recommended to have your surround speakers behind you somewhat, and not directly to your sides pointed straight at the listener's heads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert /forum/post/15591028

Sagboy,

Very nice room there. The furniture is great as is the rug. I think placement of the surround speakers on the walls just outside of the windows should provide a much better experience, when using 5.1 surround sound. With a 5.1 speaker setup, it's preferred and recommended to have your surround speakers behind you somewhat, and not directly to your sides pointed straight at the listener's heads.

Thanks for the compliments =). I have been thinking the same thing with the surrounds, just will have to rewire, oh well. Ill have to give it a shot in the comming weeks and let you know how it goes.

Next will be a rewire of the rats nest... sigh lol.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Good setup.

Nice and clean.

Plenty of WAF.

Great tv!

Your front left and front right perhaps need to be placed a bit more to the left and right to increase distance and do a bit of toe in on them to increase the size of the listening sweet spot and perhaps a bit more of elevation for them as a few more inches up in some cases improves localization cues leading to better perceived response from the surrounds.

Try experimenting a bit with placement and experiment a bit with how loud you set the surrounds as in some cases they need to be softer so they dissapear and in some cases they need to be louder to place some zing in some efects like bullets and jets flying by.

Its your system and you are the best person to decide just how you want it to sound.

And once again you have a nice system.

Props to you for haveing it up and running as my budget system is still stuck at the building stage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts