AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The remote has activity based functions like the Harmony interface. Within each activity you can map the an IR command for any of the components to each button as well as long macros. Each button has an LCD label that changes with the activity.

I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly here, so please ask questions.

Thanks,

-Jonathan.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
I think you have described the perfect universal remote.

I think I have found it in the Sony RM-VL900. The only thing the VL900 can't do from your list is dynamic button labels, which would make any remote more expensive than the amazingly low price of the VL900, ~$30.

It is the lowest cost remote I've ever seen to allow learning on ALL keys for ALL 8 devices, with 3 dedicated mode independant 16-step macro buttons, PLUS the ability to put a 16 step macro under EACH of the eight device buttons, activated by holding the device button down for 2 seconds.

This means that each device button can not only directly activate the "mode" for that device, but also an "activity" macro for that device by simply holding the device button down longer.

My only complaint about the VL900 is no backlight on most of the keys (device buttons only, but glow in the dark for others).

I bought a Harmony 659 two weeks ago. I don't like it's canned activity programming method and the way it buries too many functions for some remotes in up to 8-12 screens of virtual buttons, which you hunt for using the Next button.

THe KISS principle dictates an all hard button remote, with mixed device types per mode, which requires "key moves" or "device upgrades" on JP1 remotes, or programming gyrations with a Pronto.

Crimony, just give me a remote with enough hard buttons to control any device *or* activity (which to me simply means mixed device modes plus a macro or two), and enough memeory to shoot any IR command into it.

The Rm-VL900 appears to do this, though I haven't received it yet after ordering.

It would be "perfect" if it had a little backlit LCD window above each hard button, dynamically changing based on the device/activity selected, but for $30, I'm not complaining ;).

I guess I've become remote-jaded, having come full circle back to a hard button, full learning, big macro remote. I went through my Pronto, JP1, and Harmony phases :D.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.