AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in need of a new TV in my small living room for a while now. After looking around I found that the Tosh 26H84 seemed to fit my needs. I have 3 HD (or HD resolution) sources (BEV HD-Sat, X-box and HTPC) so I needed connectivity for all of them. I found a cheap DVI to HDMI cable so I have all of the bases covered.

I havent recieved my DVI-HDMI cable yet so I cant comment on that yet.

First I'll comment on the quality of the display:

Geometry: The geometry isnt very good. I havent put AVIA in yet but from static images you can tell it's off.

HVPS: The HVPS isnt very good. Even at moderate contrast levels the geometry gets a little funky.

Contrast: A good test of this is to put up a 4x3 image with black bars on the sides. The darkness of these black bars varies greatly as the image brightness changes.

Now, here's my overall opinion:

This TV cost me $600 CND. If your expecting a stellar display in this price range, you're bound to be disapointed. You get what you pay for. This TV has most of the qualities I am looking for in a TV. Very bright, nice and small (depth isnt an issue for my placement), very sharp with an HD source (its a pretty small TV after all) and almost as cheap a SD TV's in the price range.

I'm very picky, I have a professionaly calibrated 8" Ehome CRT projector in my HT. But because the 26H84 isnt my primary HD display device I can live with it.

Hope this is helpful to some,

Wesley J

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Recieved my DVI-HDMI cable yesterday and am going to work on getting a PC hooked to it. Will update as I struggle through it.

FYI I got the cable from Alberta Computer Cable in Calgary, AB, Canada. The cost was $60 CND and took 2 days to get in.

Wes

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, hooked up my HTPC with a Radeon 9000. It detected the TV fine, had the correct model number and everthing. I could only get 720x480 to work with it though... I'm running Cat 4.10 and set drivers to force 720p and 1080i in the troubleshooting tab.

Also, I fired up Powerstrip and attempted all of the built in 1080i timings with no success.

Any ideas?

Wes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.