AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a year ago, I had my first theatre. The room was 18 feet long by 9 1/2 feet wide I think. The next room past the wall was the storage room and I'd wondered about either ripping the wall down to expand the room or adding a doorway and the next room could be a movie poster gallery. Once it was found it was'nt a load bearing wall,during the summer I went with expanding. A guy showed me the process of tearing down the drywall and studs then I did it all myself. The top cross beam I needed help with. I had to toss out stuff that I really did'nt ned too. The rest was put in another room. I'm using two magazine interiors as a guide for an ART DECO one. I have to substitute hot glued art boards for prefab plastic or metal proscenium sections and other items. I have the drywall covered with bed comforters and solid colored sheets over those. The bottom 4th of the walls have black boards/panels and black covered wall boarder at the cieling. Every 3 to 4 feet along this border, a fake UNLIT cardboard art deco light sconse is located. The actual lights during movie watching are torch lamps, one on each side of the room. The florescent fixtures originally on the 8 foot cieling still show too. I'll make art deco metallic cut out patterns on the border between the sconces and bigger ones at each side of the 103 inch diagonal 16 x 9 Da-Lite screen. The floor is only half rugged now. I'll paint the cieling medium grey but a dark artsy shape near the screen. The rug will be black. Black felt squares serve as the black around the screen. My Earthquake subs and 70's era GOOD front speakers will be hidden by a stage covered with silk or something. The speakers are fine laying on their sides in this instance I'm told. Movie posters will be seen in poster pouches or just tacked up here and there. One corner area is done as Classical complete with two HOMEMADE cardboard columns (a ***** to make) so a Gladiator, 50's repro Hercules, Clash of the Titans posters and figure models of Conan and Spartacus can be displayed. The room also incorporates several areas for themes to display models and movie posters: The sci fi area with a movie poster (80's Flash Gordon) and covered boxes/tables for Trek, Star Wars figures and ships, some items like Seaview sub, Time Machine models, The adventure area with an Indi Jones and Tarzan movie posters and models like a Tarzan display, etc, a super heroes area with Superman 2, Spider-Man and Batman Forever movie posters and certain figure and Bat vehicle models. Even lifesize homemade mannequins for generic Superman, Batman and Shazam. My equipment stack is NOT the fabulous kind seen in magazines but sufficient: middle level Panasonic DVD player, hifi Hitachi VHS, $1000 Onkyo reciever and an old nice turntable, all on shelves of a steel cabinet my Dad had. The rest of the shelves have my VHS tapes and CDs. The entrance room itself is a shoe box sized place I fixed up with marble print paper for what ended up a Phantasm and classic monsters hall that will has my file cabinets with DVDs and will have lifesize monster mannequins and monster models. Even a dummy of a guy laying on the floor being attacked by a Phantasm ball, on the wall and some of the cieling near him are plastic plated Christmas balls grouped together like bats (the killer sentinal spheres). The models are mainly mail order resin 'garage kits' mostly seen only at conventions and specialty model shows. The screen room is now 18 feet square basically. Os

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I now realize I must remove the lifesize dummies from the theatre elsewhere to enhance the theatre feel. Posters and models of actual movie super heroes will take their place. I want a fancy art deco ticket booth in the entrance room/lobby but the marketed ones are for the RICH so maybe I can make one for pennies on the dollar. A movie version monster could stand inside it. I'll probably carpet the concrete floor sometime. I assue this thread's not getting response as NO pics are shown. I hope to have a link to pics in January....if I can do enough on the project what with being alone on this job. Os

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.