AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was playing music and in the middle of a song I noticed the volume drop significantly... Go to check and sure enough no audio was coming out of the center channel. It just stopped.

I checked the test tones and there was audio coming out. I then put a Blu-ray in (Mad Men) and during the main titles opening there was no audio coming out again. (I usually leave it on AUTO SURROUND mode).

I then performed a factory reset and did the MCACC calibration again. Put Mad Men back in, still no audio coming out of the center during the opening. But then the episode started and I was getting audio out of the center, so I assumed it was just the opening music and the problem was fixed. (Can any Mad Men fan confirm that the opening theme music does come out of the center? I could have sworn it did but thought maybe I was remembering it wrong...)

Earlier today I put my iPod back in and then it was happening again...no audio out of the center. Instead of Auto Surround I switched it to DPL II Music. There was audio coming out of the center, but it seemed...different. Very faint. It doesn't sound too good. Switch it to stereo mode and there's nothing.

Put The Dark Knight in and I get audio out of the center but it also seems different than it used. A bit quiter, I guess. And muffled.

I'm really not sure what/how this happened. I just bought a new receiver and speakers less than two months ago.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-80 and the center is an Infinity Primus PC351. Both are new.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? I can't even tell if the problem is the center or the receiver.

·
Registered
702 Posts
An Easy way to tell if it's the receiver vs the speaker causing the problem is to put a different speaker as the center, and/or move the center over to one of the left or right channels.

Hope it's not the speaker cuz I just ordered one of those
:p

·
Registered
964 Posts
DPL II Music doesn't use the center speaker too much. Try DPL II or DTS Cinema. Pioneer also offers a "Center Image" adjustment that determines how much of the signal goes to the center channel versus the front left and right. I usually set my Pioneer to Direct and manually select DTS Cinema for stereo recordings when I feel the need.

I doubt it's the Infinity. More like a setting or adjustment in the Pioneer was accidently changed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it's the Infinity. More like a setting or adjustment in the Pioneer was accidently changed.
Wouldn't the factory reset have solved that problem?

I plugged my old center in to the receiver and the same thing happened.

·
Registered
964 Posts
At least you now know it's receiver related and not the Infinity :) .

You're right that a factory reset would have solved most problems with settings or adjustments but it depends on how it was setup before the reset. Maybe the volume of the center channel was raised by MCACC or the center channels eq was exaggerated.

I guess it could be a faulty receiver but I'd play around with it a bit more before focusing on that angle.You might want to double-chect the speaker wire connections. Strange things have been known to occur when stray wires touch each other or the receiver.

FYI, many movies are in stereo when the menu and main titles so there would be no sound coming from the center speaker until the movie began to play. Auto Surround automatically selects the appropriate surround mode, which might be stereo, so there still might not be any center channel content. It doesn't automatically select a surround mode although it's name might suggest that it did.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least you now know it's receiver related and not the Infinity :) .

You're right that a factory reset would have solved most problems with settings or adjustments but it depends on how it was setup before the reset. Maybe the volume of the center channel was raised by MCACC or the center channels eq was exaggerated.

I guess it could be a faulty receiver but I'd play around with it a bit more before focusing on that angle.You might want to double-chect the speaker wire connections. Strange things have been known to occur when stray wires touch each other or the receiver.

FYI, many movies are in stereo when the menu and main titles so there would be no sound coming from the center speaker until the movie began to play. Auto Surround automatically selects the appropriate surround mode, which might be stereo, so there still might not be any center channel content. It doesn't automatically select a surround mode although it's name might suggest that it did.
A little while ago I ran a new wire from the center to the receiver - no help. :(

It's been working fine, it was so strange the way it happened. Just right in the middle of a song it stopped coming out of the center channel.

I really hope it's not broken and it's just something I'm missing.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
Just right in the middle of a song it stopped coming out of the center channel.
Were you sitting on the remote at the time? ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you sitting on the remote at the time? ;)
Nope! I was actually upstairs doing some cleaning and just letting the music play. Remote was on the table.

At first I thought the volume just turned down somehow, but when I ran downstairs I realized there was no audio at all coming out of the center and my heart almost stopped, lol

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
This confuses me:

Earlier today I put my iPod back in and then it was happening again...no audio out of the center. Instead of Auto Surround I switched it to DPL II Music. There was audio coming out of the center, but it seemed...different. Very faint. It doesn't sound too good. Switch it to stereo mode and there's nothing.
There should be nothing coming from the CC in Stereo mode....have you been listening in All Channel Stereo (aka Party Mode)?? If you were, that would explain what you said above.

Just FYI - All Channel Stereo sends the exact same full range signal to all 5 (or 7) speakers. It is only good for parties, where you want the music to "fill the room". It is not a mode you want to use for any sort of critical listening.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This confuses me:

There should be nothing coming from the CC in Stereo mode....have you been listening in All Channel Stereo (aka Party Mode)?? If you were, that would explain what you said above.

Just FYI - All Channel Stereo sends the exact same full range signal to all 5 (or 7) speakers. It is only good for parties, where you want the music to "fill the room". It is not a mode you want to use for any sort of critical listening.
I'm not sure... I've been listening in Auto Surround mode. When I have my iPod in it always came out of the center channel and the front left and right. In the middle of a song it just stopped.

So that's how it should be? I never did anything special with it before, just pressed the auto button on my remote.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
I'm just guessing here since I'm not familiar with your receiver - but the "Auto Surround" mode probably works like this; it remembers the last surround mode you used with a certain incoming signal on a certain source. So, if you've been listening to 2 channel sources in "All Channel Stereo", whenever you hit the "Auto Surround" button, that is what you would get.

My point is, you probably got used to what "Party Mode" sounds like (full range signal to all speakers) and now Stereo or PLII Music doesn't sound "right" to you...although they are the "more correct" modes to use with music. :)

Have you switched back to All Channel Stereo to see if that was the sound you were used to?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just guessing here since I'm not familiar with your receiver - but the "Auto Surround" mode probably works like this; it remembers the last surround mode you used with a certain incoming signal on a certain source. So, if you've been listening to 2 channel sources in "All Channel Stereo", whenever you hit the "Auto Surround" button, that is what you would get.

My point is, you probably got used to what "Party Mode" sounds like (full range signal to all speakers) and now Stereo or PLII Music doesn't sound "right" to you...although they are the "more correct" modes to use with music. :)

Have you switched back to All Channel Stereo to see if that was the sound you were used to?
Tomorrow after work I'm going to try and figure out how to switch it to All Channel Stereo. I don't remember ever messing with any setting like that in the first place, lol

Hopefully that's it. Although maybe now I should listen a bit more in this mode, since it is more correct. I played a little PS4 last night and the center was working fine, so I think you've actually solved the mystery for me. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I check out All Channel Stereo mode.

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Pioneer's version of All Channel Stereo is called Extended Stereo. Access it through the "Adv Surr" button on the remote. The Adv Surr button cycles through all the DSP surround sound modes.

AFAIK Ext Stereo sends the same stereo signal to the surround channels as the front left and right channels (think speaker A/B) and creates a center channel from the front l/r signals. It doesn't send the same signal to all 5/7 channels as that would be 5/7 channel mono :) .

As others have already said, using Ext Stereo should confirm/deny a problem with the receiver.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So I used Ext. Stereo today and there was definitely music coming out of the center channel but also the surround speakers as well. Before it was only coming out of the front left and right and the center, so I'm not sure what setting I had going on.

That being said, I decided to play my Slippery When Wet 5.1 disc today and it sounded awful... I've listened to it many times before and I know something is wrong. The vocals sounded pretty low in the mix. I'm not sure what the problem is...everything was working fine two weeks ago.

Sigh.

Well at least I learned with Ext Stereo mode that there's nothing wrong with my center.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
I'm unaware of any surround mode that will only output to the FL/R+CC and not the surrounds. Although, if you were using PLII with 2 channel sources (music) you would indeed get audio from the FL/R+CC but you would also get sound from the surrounds, albeit at a pretty low level most of the time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm unaware of any surround mode that will only output to the FL/R+CC and not the surrounds. Although, if you were using PLII with 2 channel sources (music) you would indeed get audio from the FL/R+CC but you would also get sound from the surrounds, albeit at a pretty low level most of the time.
This is what I'm very confused about. I actually quite liked the way it sounded. Hard getting used to it not coming out the center anymore.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
Maybe there was a stray wire that was "bridging" the CC with one of your mains and that wire lost connection. That would explain the sudden loss of the CC while you were listening.

Long shot, but could happen...I think. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe there was a stray wire that was "bridging" the CC with one of your mains and that wire lost connection. That would explain the sudden loss of the CC while you were listening.

Long shot, but could happen...I think. ;)
I don't think so... I use banana plugs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts