AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The months of delay after delay after delay are (almost) finally over. After ordering this much-hyped Infocus LP530 2000 lumen, XGA, Faroudja-chipped, projector, it looks as if I will finally get to have one in my home.

I received a FedEx confirmation that my projector is on its way. My home theater has been ready for about a month just waiting on this projector to make it complete.

I hope to post a short review tomorrow night after installation. I really hope I don't see any "rainbows" in the picture. I previously had a Sharp XVH-37UP LCD (200 lumen, 640x480) as my last projector. It had a nasty case of the "screen doors" and the "red dust", which I guess is not a problem on newer LCDs since I haven't seen it mentioned a lot on this forum.

Anyway, I am still hesitant to believe that I will indeed hold the LP530 in my hand tomorrow, since I have been lied to so much as to when it would get really get here. (the first date given was 1st week in July), but since I actually have a tracking # I guess it must be for real this time.

Short review tomorrow or Thursday. In-depth review to follow soon after if I'm not glued to the screen watching all the DVDs I've been saving for the big screen.

I know that the Infocus will obviously be a drastic improvement from my old projector, but I use an LP350 and the LP435z at work, so I don't think my review will be too tainted by the "wow this thing looks so much better than my 8 year old projector" factor.

I guess I'm the guinea pig on this one. Hopefully it will prove to be worth the wait.

------------------

"If you don't believe in something, you will fall for anything."

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm anxious to here your thoughts as I once had a 530 on pre-order. When the Dell LT150 deal happened, I just had to jump on it, so now I can only wonder how the 530 will perform ...

The 2000 hour lamp life sure sounds nice.

[This message has been edited by chris larralde (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just received my LP530 this morning. I'll be pairing it with a Quadscan Elite which should be arriving by Friday. I threw the projector up on a stepladder and aimed it at the wall to see if it worked -- tried it with computer input and non-progressive DVD and I'm impressed. Let me know how it works in your HT -- I'm still in the process of re-arranging mine!

Darin

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I am thinking about getting a LP530. I was wondering if you could tell me if the module came with it and if so what connections does it have? Does it have the cat5 connection for single cable connectivity? I would greatly appreciate your response to this.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The LP530 does not come with the module. The module lists for $499 and is not even out yet (no word on when, exactly). The inputs the project comes with out of the box are composite, s-video and that proprietary connector (including a cable that maps in to a USB and VGA connector). My guess is that when using this thing with a video processor you'd generally only use the VGA input anyway, and set the projector in native (1024x768) mode.

The module apparently adds component inputs and RS-232 connectivity... not sure what else.

The "Enhanced Widescreen" mode seems to do an excellent job of preserving the resolution of 16:9 anamorphic content. I checked out parts of Austin Powers and Fifth Element in this mode, connected only through the S-video port. I also ran the full-frame version of "A Bug's Life" in the projector's "Standard" (4:3) mode and it looked great. Very bright, incredible detail.

I'm using a Pioneer DV-525 DVD player and a Denon AVR-5700 for video / audio selection purposes.

[This message has been edited by Darin Austin Johnson (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
How is the picture quality? Are the blacks dark and is there any blocking of whites/greys in sky scenes? I have seen this in other DLP projectors.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
255 Posts
Darin can you tell me why you will buy the Quadscan elite without first checking the quality of the built-in Faroudja?

Whenever you're ready can you tell me (us) (or even better show with pictures) the difference in quality between the two?

thanks,

Kjelt

·
Registered
144 Posts
In response to the question about the Faroudja scaler, it's only a doubler, so is really inadequate to take full advantage of the 1024x768 chip resolution when viewing 4:3 material specifically. The Quadscan is a doubler/tripler/quadrupler. The Quadscan also does 3:2 pulldown, which the built-in faroudja does not.

I will post some screen shots ASAP. There is a huge difference with the Quadscan when viewing satellite broadcasts especially. Brighter, flicker-free, and obvious picture enhancements. Without the Quadscan things like digital artifacts introduced by the MPEG-2 compression of the DirecTV system are much more readily noticeable.

The built-in faroudja doubler of the LP530 does a respectable job when dealing with 16:9 enhanced DVD's, in the projector's "Enhanced Widescreen" mode. However the picture quality with the Quadscan is more film-like -- the DSP compensation (film mode) of the Quadscan is visibly superior.

I noticed a dead pixel on my LP530 -- it's not really visible from regular viewing distances on most source material, and I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it yet. At the very least I'm going to see if any more die before I do anything about it.

I'm quite pleased with the video quality from DVD and from satellite TV, especially now with the quadscan. Haven't tried composite yet, but will tonight.

Another reason I wanted the Quadscan was that the LP530 by default does not come with component inputs -- the Quadscan does. If one was going to pay ~$500 for the inputs a la the expansion module, why not pay about twice that and get a quadrupler and 3:2 pulldown as well?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Paul -- I haven't noticed any blocking. As far as the blacks go, they seem dark to me -- although I haven't run VE on this thing yet (we have company in town this week and we've been using it to actually watch movies -- I haven't been left alone to do any calibration...)

One thing about the Quadscan is that it's connected through the VGA-in port of the projector, which bypasses all the built-in scaling. It also doesn't allow you to control things like sharpness from the projector, so you're pretty much at the mercy of the controls from the Quadscan. I haven't fooled with the settings much except to set it to XGA out, and 4:3B aspect ratio out. I've left the DSP at Auto, which seems to work for my purposes. The remote trigger cycles between input aspect ratios 16:9, 4:3 and 4:3LB.

I did build a screen this weekend, though -- 6 feet by 8 feet, covered with 4 layers of muslin fabric. I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My buddy's came today...will be hooking it up tonight...

Anyone know if someone has made a ceiling-mount for this unit yet? Chief hasn't...peerless may have...

?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Draper Inc. has one. You have to find a dealer though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.