AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So basically I went down the rabbit hole of a mission to find better audio for my living room TV all while making the super clean and minimalist wife happy. As a single man, I had a lot of sound systems and kinda knew what i wanted.

I did not want a universal remote, i just wanted to turn the thing on like normal and not mess around with source switching on the receiver. Volume control with normal remote as well.

I preferred not to have a sub but sometimes that’s hard to do.

Needed bluetooth audio so I could connect my phone or amazon echo to play music.

Small and attractive.

So I ended up thinking hdmi arc was mandatory. I bought a $500 jbl 3.1 system. I was ok for sound quality but music left something to be desired. The auto source switching of hdmi arc was not full proof. I found myself having to track down the sound bar remote daily. The subwoofer also went dead in 2 months. I returned this and bought a sonos beam. This was a little better than the jbl in terms of connectivity and source switching. The sound quality was better but it definitely lacked spl and base. It’s also very expensive to expand.

Then I discovered jesus. I found out my vizio P series can control the volume of the analog audio output with the remote. So basically if you have that feature, or a headphone jack, your world of options open up and you do not need hdmi arc. That’s assuming you don’t need surround sound, as the analog audio is only 2 channel, which in my opinion is a bit of gimmick with soundbars. Personally I’ll take higher quality 2 channel audio over simulated surround sound any day.

So then I began the hunt for a small and reasonably price set of speakers and amp. I wanted auto source switching so I never needed the remote. I could either go with a mini amp and regular speakers or self powered speakers.

The end of my research journey, which was extensive, ended with a pair of vanatoo T0’s. I added a polk psw10 as well. The psw10 is not mandatory and just the vanatoo’s by themselves are a few tiers higher than the sonos beam in the sound department, and the beam isn’t that bad. The vanatoo’s are self powered and are $370 and the polk I believe is like $130 (i had the sub sitting in the basement) I spent exactly as much as the jbl sound bar, and words cannot possibly describe the difference in sound quality. These is the best sound I’ve ever heard in my life. I guess I finally realized what good sound quality is. I haven’t even touched the vanatoo remote since I bought them. The automatic source switching and is flawless,

There is no way that any soundbar on the market sounds as good as my setup. While I don’t doubt some may be louder, hit lower frequencies, or simulate surround sound, there is no way the SQ is higher. (have not heard the $1500+ atmos sound bars, I’m just confident they don’t sound as good)

Attached is a picture of the vanatoo’s with a 65” TV, please excuse my daughter watching puppy dog pals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically if you have a headphone jack on your tv, or it has the audio setting of variable volume with the analog outputs, you can use these without ever touching the remote.

i suppose if you wanted to use the optical input you could use the vanatoo remote to control the volume.

personally I would not settle for anything less than being just as easy to use as not having any speakers at all and just using the tv speakers, and that’s what I achieved

·
Registered
920 Posts
@ Bryan
The T0s have a "Sub out" on them that also senses when a sub is connected.
When the sub is connected, do the T0s automatically introduce a crossover, or do they remain "full range"?

Edit :
Just read in the T0 specs that there is an option for two crossovers - 80Hz(flatmode) or 125Hz(shelf mode). Guess you set it on the remote.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@ Bryan
The T0s have a "Sub out" on them that also senses when a sub is connected.
When the sub is connected, do the T0s automatically introduce a crossover, or do they remain "full range"?

Edit :
Just read in the T0 specs that there is an option for two crossovers - 80Hz(flatmode) or 125Hz(shelf mode). Guess you set it on the remote.
yeah it automatically raises the crossover point when you connect a sub. I believe you can set choose it as well. I’m pretty sure you can get rid of the crossover entirely so it will be full range. I left it at the 125hz because it sounds amazing and they get much louder when they don’t have to handle the lows.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aesthetically two bars on each side would look better.
Yeah its definitely not gorgeous, but it’s not horrible and its wife approved.

If I wasn’t moving in a year I’d do full in-wall atmos. That’s the other thing I like about these speakers, unlike a soundbar, if I ever upgrade my system there are countless things I can use them for.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Bryan,

I agree with you and have used a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for many years and could have easily used a sound bar instead. I work with a lot of sound bars through my work and have tested many in my home and work. Everyone in the family agrees a nice pair of speakers simply sound noticeably better. Also, if your TV has a variable audio connections it is a very simple setup to have a pair of active speakers to give great sound and ease of use. Sound bars have their limitations. They definitely give better sound than the TVs built in speakers but they don't beat a nice pair of speakers. what sound bars have over a pair of speakers is some surround/Atmos effects. Sound bars don't compete with surround/atmos systems where speakers are placed appropriately but not everyone can place speakers around the room. For some having some surround effects might be more desirable than better quality audio of a good pair of speakers and for others their TVs might not have audio outputs to make it easy to control a pair of speakers with one remote.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I heard the simulated surround and was not impressed at all. I haven’t heard the high end ones though.

Hdmi arc was a dissapointment. If you need to find the remote that often, might as well not even use hdmi arc.

Just seems like you are not getting any sort of decent surround sound unless you spend $1500 on a higher end sound bar. And you aren’t getting actual high quality sound unless you spend $2500 on a sennheiser.

Obviously we all are interested in sound bars in the first place because we dont want big bulky equipment, but $2500 is A LOT of money and you could surely do a real stealth in wall system for that much.

My system has $2500 sennheiser audio quality for $500 (probably, never heard the senn)

Yes are correct, if you don’t have headphone out or analog output volume control, you’re kinda limited to hdmi arc.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hi Bryan
You have really sold me on these speakers.

We are currently downsizing our home.
I have a purpose-built home theatre with a 7.1 system, projector, etc, etc.
I'm going to leave everything there, and start from scratch in the new house.
The AV will probably be a 65" QLED, and will most likely be located in the living area.:cry:
The Vanatoos would be perfect to complete the setup.

One question - how did you mount them?
And do Vanatoo recommend any toe in (I notice you have no toe-in at all - or doesn't it matter)?
Oops, that's two questions. ;)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I can answer that. Toe in is going to depend on how far apart your speakers are placed and how far your seating is from the screen. In my situation my TV sits on a stand and I have my speakers on stands to the side of it. For most TVs the speakers are not going to be that far apart where toe in will be required, mine are 6 feet apart. A rule of thumb is that speakers should be less than 80% of the distance to the screen. So if you are sitting 10 feet away there should be 8 feet or less between your speakers if you can't toe them in. It is just a guideline but works for most situations. The disadvantage of using stereo speakers is if you have seating that is not between the speakers. Those seats will get more of the sound from the speaker that is closer to them. It will likely still sound decent but will some stereo effect as the closer speakers will dominate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bryan
You have really sold me on these speakers.

We are currently downsizing our home.
I have a purpose-built home theatre with a 7.1 system, projector, etc, etc.
I'm going to leave everything there, and start from scratch in the new house.
The AV will probably be a 65" QLED, and will most likely be located in the living area.:cry:
The Vanatoos would be perfect to complete the setup.

One question - how did you mount them?
And do Vanatoo recommend any toe in (I notice you have no toe-in at all - or doesn't it matter)?
Oops, that's two questions. ;)
They mount on the same screw a camera tripod is on.

These are what I used but i can’t recommend them, the speakers are just slightly too heavy for those mounts and when I turned up the volume the speakers would flip upside down. I had to super glue the swivel joint to make then work, but you get the idea of what you need.

I did not toe in because I have a wide viewing area. They also provide sound for my kitchen and living room. I’d probably tow them in if I was sitting in a chair 5 ft from them zoning out to 2 channel flac music.

So when everybody on reviews talks about near field listening, they are making a huge deal of it but it‘s not a big deal. They sound amazing in my whole living room.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and for your wall mount, I was trying to guess how far off the wall they needed to be.

with the connections, and mine angled slightly downward, my wall mount extends 4.5” off the wall.

5” they could be flat

·
Registered
920 Posts
It's a shame about the ball joint. Those mounts look very neat and clean (definitely high WAF ;) ).
Although, as you said, once your happy with the setup, a bit of super glue keeps them in place.
Thanks for the help and photos, etc..
Just have to sell the house and buy another.
Definitely not building another dedicated home theatre.
The kids have gone, my wife loves reading, so I'm the only one using the home theatre at the moment (but I love it 💖).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts