AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a JVC HD-61Z575, and a while ago the image went green(the picture is still there and clear, but everything looks green tinted). I turned the unit off, and next time I turned it on it was fine. This happened several times before, you guessed it, now it's always green tinted. I suspect that whatever projects the red part of the image is out to lunch, but I don't know where to start. A call to JVC was no help, and the local dealer did not impress me too much. I have found on here that some of you have worked on these and even modified them, so I was hoping some one could help me out here.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there a mirror or something that might possibly need freed up? A few tests I can do before submitting big bucks to the service guy?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Perhaps loose cables or bad cable with HDMI. Unplugging the PbPr component cables with YPbPr causes this. If there are any built-in test (grid) patterns with the same thing, though, then it's an internal circuit problem. -- John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I am only using RCA style standard video inputs, I have tried different inputs, but no luck. Like I said, I suspect the problem is internal, I just wonder if this is a common problem. I also wondered if this was something I could diagnose myself, But the service manual I found had no trouble shooting tips at all.( I am an electrican by trade, and my field of work is desigining electrical controls for machines, as well as building them and programming the PLC's, so I am reasonably apt. in doing simple repairs so long as I don't need any special test gear like a 'scope.)

Does anyone know of a manual that has trouble-shooting tips or even diagnostics for these? The one I downloaded was less than impressive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Plesae confirm whether you using composite (1 video wire) or component (3 video wires) connections. Both are RCA-type wires.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
For step two, I'd want to try HD inputs since it's a 720p HD display. That means three cables, either a set of YPbPr component cables, or temporarily three same-length RCA audio/video-type cables. Set cable converters or other STBs to output 720p (one option). Since YPbPr signal processing is somewhat different than composite, the tint might disappear. HDMI input is another HD input option, but could raise other problems such as a cable STB not delivering HDMI output. I'd also scan the manual, or menus, for built in test patterns to see if they're green tint only. Also, make sure that composite cable is connected only to VIDEO OUT from your source, not something that might be delivering a 720p Y (luma) signal--WAY higher in frequency than composite inputs are designed for, and as mentioned initially above, a Y only input appears green without the red and blue cables (Pr, Pb) . Covered all this minutia because it's unclear what the "other inputs" you've tried are and how long the display has operated normally for 720p, if at all. -- John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the confusion with the inputs I've tried. The "other" inputs I've tried are just swapping from input 1 to input2, etc. I have yet to try anything other than composite single cable. The tv is app a year and a half old, and has been running this way since day one and no problems until now.

I have tried the regular user menus for settings and adjustments, but nothing. Perhaps I'll try the service menus. I'll also see if the 3 rca component makes any difference. I think it's something internal, though. Do these tv's have mirrors that move, like an on, off position?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.