AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say that this was most likely not a sub problem, but an owner problem (or two year old son of the operator problem)..ugh.

I had the sub for about two months and my little two yr old would at times go behind the sub and turn the power off and on. I would immediately pull him out of there, but unfortunately I was not smart enough to unplug the sub when I was not around. His sitter was obviously not on top of him as much as I was, and I began to notice that the output from the sub was minimal. Then after a day or two of that the sub no longer turned on at all. The light on the front doesn't come on, nothing!!

I assume it is the internal amp being fried. Any suggestions?

Can I just buy a new part for it, or am I going to need to buy a whole new sub?

Any advice (other than "don't be such a moron next time") would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called Klipsch and they told me to check the fuse first... didn't know it had one so I was all excited that that could be all that was wrong.. figured I would have to buy a .50 cent fuse rather than a replacement amp for the sub at $132...

Got home and checked the fuse and lo and behold.......that WAS NOT it... I was bummed.

At that point I was obsessed, so I decided to take a peak inside the sub. I removed the amp from the back and as soon as I opened it up I noticed that there was a white clipped connection that was undone completely. I hooked it back up, hit the power switch and ....it worked!!

Couldn't believe it.

I have no idea how that could have come unplugged inside there...vibration maybe? But it must have been hooked up incorrectly at the factory.

So I'm happy that it's working again, unhappy that it was not put together properly from the start.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If a quick connect came off, chances are that it became loose in shipping, and then with use ( vibration ) it literally fell off.

Sucks... but you found the problem. Give it a really light squeeze with a pair of pliers before plugging it back on if you want it to really stay. FYI, this happens to speakers in transit as well.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
As Michael said, stuff comes loose during shipping, when subs are moved around, and/or with use.

Glad you worked it out. Learned about your sub's innards, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts