AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve been searching and searching the forum for the throw distance of this pj but is all a mess. The throw distance is different from thread to thread and I´m going crazy as I have to decide this week what screensize to order.

Can someone tell me the min and max distance from lens to screen for a 92 inch diagonal 16:9 screen and a 106 inch diagonal 16:9 screen, please ?

Mattias.

·
Registered
55 Posts
92 inch diagonal

16:9 Aspect Ratio

Min 139.4 (inches) 11.6 (feet) 3541 (millimeters)

Max 168.0 (inches) 14.0 (feet) 4268 (millimeters)

106 inch diagonal

Min 161.0 (inches) 13.4 (feet) 4089 (millimeters)

Max 193.9 (inches) 16.2 (feet) 4926 (millimeters)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Type your screen distance into the space provided and press 'enter'... According to this spreadsheet (released by Sony?), the throw for the HS2 and HS10 is actually a bit shorter than the 10/11 HT's...

VPLHS10hS2Throw.xls

Since I have a 110" screen with a 14' throw, I'm *praying* that this is correct, cause it's saying I can mount it 13.9' away. :)

For the record:

110 inch diagonal

Min 166.8 (inches) 13.9 (feet)

·
Registered
857 Posts
so many people on this forum already have HS10, and none of them actually said the screen size / throw distance ratio ... grrrrrrr come on HS10 peeps SPEAK !!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jtorello: Thank you so much!!

That was exactly what I needed, now I know that I can have a 106 inch screen and just have to decide if it will be too big or if the 92 inch will do. Thanks again!

Waldorf: I found that link earlier when I search the forum but I couldn´t get it to work on my computer, thanks anyway.

Mattias.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The throw distance link didn't work for me either. I am doing a 123" 16x9. This may become the poor mans best choice for P/P 16X9 native projectors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oof... was on some avs member's school account apparently... I should've made a mirror while it was still up. :(

Oh well... Updated my above post to look like jtorello's

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by letMeIn
so many people on this forum already have HS10, and none of them actually said the screen size / throw distance ratio ... grrrrrrr come on HS10 peeps SPEAK !!!!!
Here is THE definitive answer for throw ratio for determining screen distance to screen size for the Sony VPL-HS10. This is direct from the Sony spreadsheet.

The ratio changes slightly as you go from a 40" to a 300"

screen but not by much. This is calculated with a 100" screen.

for 16:9

Distance:Diagonal=1.51-1.83

·
Registered
126 Posts
Haven't quite gotten the hang of ratio's... so for my case, I have a 110" diagonal screen (96x54)...

So I'd do: 110 x 1.51 = 166.1

Then for throw: 166.1 / 12 = 13.842 feet?

That's even better than 13.9 :)

Now if I could only find a dealer :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Should a projector be mounted at approximately the middle of the zoom range? Or, can you cheat it to on end or the other? Also, is the throw distance from the lens or what part of the projector?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I´ve read here on the forum that the screendoor becomes less noticible when you have the projector as far back as possible and zoom out as much as possible. Have not tried that myself so I don´t now if it´s a noticible difference.

The distance is measured from the lens.

Mattias.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.