AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been a member here very long. I have not posted a lot of threads. I have read every post since I joined and thanks to everyone for pointing me towards the AE100, that I did purchase. This will be my last post and the last time I visit AVS Forum. They have made a grave mistake by seperating us into classes. I enjoyed reading from enthusiasts period. I did not care what price they paid for thier projector. I enjoyed hearing from them because of their love for HT. Do not seperate us by monetary classes. Bring us back together. If not , then I am out of here. Good bye.

John McLean

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
John,

Don't go. Some perspective is needed here.

To fall into a category of those who've spent less than five grand on a TV is surely nothing for us to be ashamed of. In all honesty I believe it is those who have spent more than five grand on a TV who may be having some misgivings once they realize what they've done. So we can all feel very proud to be in the "under $5k" crowd.

Bob

·
Registered
652 Posts
John, I hope you'll recosider. While I see the logic behind the split (the AE100 dominating the forum due to its attractive pricepoint), I also dislike some of the remarks that have come from both the administration and a few "high end" users. But look on the bright side: If you have even the SLIGHTEST interest in the AE100, this is heaven on earth.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I for one feel proud to be in the sub-$5000 group. I take pride in getting the best bang for the buck. If I didn't, I'd have a Bose sound system and be driving a BMW 325....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't been following the threads on the split so this may have been brough up before, but to me a more natural split would be

*Purchase and purchase advice - where/why and how to buy

*Tweaking - tell the world your achievements

(*Praise - Where people shout out in joy of their recent aquirements and hang out untill they get a tweak quiz or idea to post in tweaking)

No "class" separation needed.

Anyway, the people and the knowledge will still be here for active menbers and lurkers like myself (that finally registered after 3 years :) after this split

-

Chris, NJ

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll admit last night I was a little hot about AVS separating us by monetary expenditures. What bothers me about this is that we will loose a lot of knowledge from our members who decide to either read the $5000.00 and above or the below $5000.00. Will we have to post questions on both boards to get answers we seek? Will we miss great posts if we stick to one board? I just believe that the forum has had enough dilutuing and Digital Projectors didn't need anymore. Jorus is right , I love the AE100 and I'll stay here because I want to learn more about it and share my knowledge also. Sorry for all the ranting.

John

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Notice the current hot thread in the rich people's forum is "How fast do projectors depreciate".

Haha, when they hear the answer to that one they're gonna spill their Dom Perignon all over the floor. They're gonna run their Bentley's off the road.

Bob

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
John-

I'll echo what the others have said.... don't go. There's lots of knowledge here, mixed in with some general B.S. Despite the split, you can still read, post, learn from and contribute to ANY thread here.

Until you mentioned it, I never looked at this split as "rich vs. poor" or "have's vs. have-nots.". I simply saw it as an arbitrary way to sort posts based on a single factor.

Personally, my equipment is a mixed bag, I have a projector (10HT) that falls into the over $5K category, and what is (was) considered Yamaha's top of the line flagship receiver, the RX-V1. Many would say that makes me one of the "have's".

However, I also have a $200 DVD player, built my own HT, and continue to look for "cheap" additions to my theater. Many would say that makes me one of the "have-nots".

My point here is that dividing a single thread certainly doesn't say anything about one's financial position or attitude. It's just a way to sub-divide a large group of posts. Those with large egos or an elitist attitude will post anywhere, and that attitude will come through. If their attitude is their main contribution to a thread, so be it if they choose not to post in the $under 5K forum. We'll all be better off for it! Most of those people that really can offer us good advice will continue to read and contribute to both threads.

So, stick around, the learning and information gathering never stops! Gotta run, my Dom Perignon is getting warm. NOT! :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Notice the current hot thread in the rich people's forum ....
Hey, who allowed you in to read that stuff? I thought there were better controls in place.

Actually, the amount of posts overall was a bit much for one forum, as topics would get knocked off the front page in about an hour or two if nobody responded. Two forums were needed.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
This is just an attempt by the administrator to make threads easier to find when searching and less thread-bumping. With one forum your thread will be bump twice as fast down and off the first page compared to 2 forums. If you cross-post, you thread will have double the rate of viewing and possibly replies. Thus, I don't see the splitting of the digital forum a problem. Frequently you'll see cheaper PJ posted in the "main" digital forum without people sneering or complaining. Digital people here frequents both forums to learn, help, and contribute. I just hope I can have as much time to contribute and learn after 7/01/02 due to a new job in Indiana :(. Thus if you don't hear from me as often this is why. Not because of lack of interest but because of lack of time.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Man, some people here sure do have thin skin. Still trying to figure out why a person would start to cry over something so trivial.

I totally see the point in missing out on info from users as they might stick solely to either forum (and that is somewhat bad) but to go on and on like this is a slap in the face because the split is done by price is silly. Nobody is taking personal shots at you because you spent whatever on a piece of electronic equipment.

This is getting to be like a HT manhood size contest or something.

"my projector costs more than your projector so I'm the bigger/better man!"

Sheesh.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
As I stated in another thread, The other forum will soon be relegated to those who had their "home theater installer" set everything up.

Trust me, this will be the more interesting forum to read.

DIY on the cheap is always more fun and exciting!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Clark
As I stated in another thread, The other forum will soon be relegated to those who had their "home theater installer" set everything up.

Trust me, this will be the more interesting forum to read.

DIY on the cheap is always more fun and exciting!
Oh please, I don't think posters on either forum are incapable of installing their own equipment. There is extremely valuable information on both forums, and there always will be. The forums aren't "regulated", just split up to maintain a manageable level of posting (although it could have been handled better). I honestly don't get the hard feelings.

And there are bargins at all price ranges...ae100 and LT150 in the sub-$5K and a Japanese Sharp or a XP21N in the over $5K MSRP.

Now if they could just give Diva Swans their own forum so other audio discussions could take place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I've been lurking in the AVS fourms for quite a while now (originally I came here for the TiVo community.) Anyway I'm not taking sides in the debate here, but for me personally the split has changed my life. Previously I'd come in and check out the automation forums and the ocasional other thing. My Hitachi 50" is starting to show it's age, so I'm debating on the merits of say a 60" hdtv type rp unit. Projectors never once crossed my mind because I was so clueless, I had no idea they weren't 3 gajillion dollars.

So one day I'm browsing and I notice there are now 2 digital projector forums, one for over 5 grand (in my mind weren't they all?) and of course this one. Well being a curious fellow, I started browsing and much to my giddy delight I found out there were projectors that were within my reach. A little more reading and I found out that screens can be cheap too!

Well, I usually don't post, but I just had to say thank you guys! I'm moving into a new house in August and depending on how well I can get the light under control in there, I'll likely be converting the great room into a theater complete with a projector and a 7 foot screen! (man that is so going to be taking time away from my tiki bar project.)

Steve

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Steve...that's a great story and good luck on your new home. I had never thought of that angle. Come to think of it though, when a person just interested in projectors comes to the forum though, their first post is "What is the best projector for under $2500?" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm a newbie, but I like the split. I'm more interested in Sub-$5K projectors and I don't like having to filter through all the expensive ones to see posts that interest me. I also think that the "budget" crowd tends to be more interested in tweaking, finding cheap screens that are 90% as good for 10% of the price, etc. etc. I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that "rich people don't tweak, they let others do their work while snacking on caviar and sipping Perrier Joulet", but that's OK.

-Mike...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the reason some people were upset was because originally the split was made by retail price, but exceptions were made for certain projectors that were considered by the forum Gods as Home theater projectors, even though their retail was below the $5000 mark. That seemed very silly to me, especially since I believe almost everyone here is looking for projectors as home theater projectors. I think a lot of the complaints will dissapear if they stick to the $ cuttoff.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mphinne2
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the reason some people were upset was because originally the split was made by retail price, but exceptions were made for certain projectors that were considered by the forum Gods as Home theater projectors, even though their retail was below the $5000 mark. That seemed very silly to me, especially since I believe almost everyone here is looking for projectors as home theater projectors. I think a lot of the complaints will dissapear if they stick to the $ cuttoff.
I can't speak for Alan or David but I think the biggest exceptions were for projectors such as the Sony 10ht/11ht and the Sanyo PLV60. While these can currently be found just below the $5k limit they are higher end projectors. People here can flame all they want but the bottomline is projectors such as the AE100 are entry level projectors. My comment is definately going to ruffle some feathers but it's the truth. The AE100 is basically a 480p projector where the Sony and Sanyo are capable of 768P. That doesn't mean the AE100 is not a great projector and will display DVD with a great picture. But when you move up to a higher resolution source such as 1080i HD the difference will become quite obvious. Anyone who says that 1080i looks just as good on the AE100 (or similar projector) as the Sanyo or Sony is kidding themselves.

I don't understand why people are so sensitive about this. I am a CRT guy and I don't pretend to think that my 8" CRT is as good as a high end 9" CRT. Along the same lines, most if not all on the CRT forum don't get bent out of shape when others refer to their 7" CRT's as entry level. It's just way things are. As long as you are happy with your purchase then who cares how much it cost.

I'm personally glad they finally split the forum. Do I think they could have done some things better? Yes I do. I think the forum should have been split into a "High End" and an "Entry Level" section with guidelines in the description that "High End" projectors would generally be >$5000 and have a certain minimum resolution. The description of the "Entry Level" forum could then indicate it was for projectors under $5000 and under the resolution listed in the "High End" forum.

In the end it is Alan's forum and his decision. If certain people decide that his moderating is too heavy then they are free to move on.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
"People here can flame all they want but the bottomline is projectors such as the AE100 are entry level projectors. My comment is definately going to ruffle some feathers but it's the truth. The AE100 is basically a 480p projector "

I don't think you will find anyone here who disagrees with that. It is a great entry level projector. I don't understand why people continue to think AE100 owners flame others or that the owners think the AE100 is high end. Yes, some have justifiably complained when negative comments were made about the AE100 by people who had never seen it. And personally it ticks me off when someone tells me what I should think about a projector.

"As long as you are happy with your purchase then who cares how much it cost. "

Exactly :)

I also have no problems with a $ split of the forums. Just as long as they don't play games and put sub 5k projectors in the high end forum because someone thinks they belong there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.