AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been entertaining the idea of putting in a soda fountain in my theatre. I've read other's posts about the difficulty in doing so, along with being able to actually drink enough of it before the syrup expires.

I was cruising through my Costco today and ran across this....

It's pretty cool. It gives me the vending machine feel, while being able to store other refrigerated goodies below it. It does 4 different beverage selections, holds up to 72 cans, has the ability to do bottles and cans (both soda bottle and beer bottles), is lockable, and has the ability to lock-out each individual selection to keep the teens/adults out of the beer.

The front display and button graphics are also changeable with whatever picture you want. I'm going to have a theatre marquee picture made up and insert it into the main window. It should look pretty cool when done.

It's a little gimmicky, but it goes along with the fun candy counter and pop corn maker theme.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Now if it could handle my 20 oz + Belgium beer bottles I wouldn't have a reason to leave the home theater, except to replenish my supplies. :eek:

Wonder if it could handle the short stout Chimay bottles? :confused:

Good post!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the last one they had, so I figured it would probably take a little while to sell. The guy working in that area walked past just as I was looking at it, and asked if he would discount it further. He said I'll check.... 5 minutes later, I was walking out with it for $400.

Looking online, the cheapest I could find it for was over $600.

It's been a big hit. I filled it up with drinks and cut out each logo from the box for the buttons.

I found a theatre marquee sign maker on the Internet that I used to create my own custom touch. I then had Costco print a 20x16 photo for the window. Cost me all of $7 for the print, and it looks great.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
It was the last one they had, so I figured it would probably take a little while to sell. The guy working in that area walked past just as I was looking at it, and asked if he would discount it further. He said I'll check.... 5 minutes later, I was walking out with it for $400.

Looking online, the cheapest I could find it for was over $600.

It's been a big hit. I filled it up with drinks and cut out each logo from the box for the buttons.

I found a theatre marquee sign maker on the Internet that I used to create my own custom touch. I then had Costco print a 20x16 photo for the window. Cost me all of $7 for the print, and it looks great.
I would love to see some pics?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the pic after I made and inserted the marquee sign. I removed my name to keep the creepy Internet stalkers at bay, but I'm sure you get the gist. :p

I also picked up a display case off of Craig's List and refurbished it for my candy counter/concession stand. I just finished getting it re-done to match my theatre color scheme. I think it came out pretty good. Ignore the sparseness of the candy, my kids raided it with their friends during movie night. Now I have to spend another $30 to replenish it. Who knew candy was so expensive. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Here's the pic after I made and inserted the marquee sign. I removed my name to keep the creepy Internet stalkers at bay, but I'm sure you get the gist. :p

I also picked up a display case off of Craig's List and refurbished it for my candy counter/concession stand. I just finished getting it re-done to match my theatre color scheme. I think it came out pretty good. Ignore the sparseness of the candy, my kids raided it with their friends during movie night. Now I have to spend another $30 to replenish it. Who knew candy was so expensive. :confused:
Maybe you need some coin operated dispensers :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This looks a lot like the old maytag skybox. Although I still have mine in the theater, it hasn't worked in 5-6 years. Hopefully they have this one figured out. I think I would like this one better after looking at all the features. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Display panel on the Chill

I too have it and love it, but am having difficulty customizing the images. I was going to have Fathead do the display panel. But their images are so generic. I am more interested in a specific sports team or movie image, but since they don't have licensing agreements for them to be printed for the display panel, I cannot get them to do so.

Since the material is not paper and instead kind of a transparent plastic, what did you have Costco print on? Also, who did you print the beverage cards, who did you use, etc?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too have it and love it, but am having difficulty customizing the images. I was going to have Fathead do the display panel. But their images are so generic. I am more interested in a specific sports team or movie image, but since they don't have licensing agreements for them to be printed for the display panel, I cannot get them to do so.

Since the material is not paper and instead kind of a transparent plastic, what did you have Costco print on? Also, who did you print the beverage cards, who did you use, etc?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me..
Snickny,
Sorry for the delayed response. You probably figured this out by now, but if not, here's what I did.

For the marquee, I found an image I liked online. I made sure the format was large enough that it would allow being blown up into a larger print. Once I had the image the way I wanted it, I just took it to Costco and had them make a picture in the dimensions of the window ( I used scissors to trim it). Cost me $6 for the print and was done in less than an hour. The light in the marquee is just bright enough to illuminate through the printed picture. I'm not sure a FatHead would allow the light to pass through it enough.

The buttons were easy. I took a pair of scissors and cut the logo off the box of soda and beer that I bought and slid them in. This makes changing the soda and beer flavors really easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I also picked up a display case off of Craig's List and refurbished it for my candy counter/concession stand. I just finished getting it re-done to match my theater color scheme. I think it came out pretty good. Ignore the sparseness of the candy, my kids raided it with their friends during movie night. Now I have to spend another $30 to replenish it. Who knew candy was so expensive. :confused:
Sams club had these on sale for $298, couldn't pass on it, love it so far! Can I ask were you found the phote for the display and what pixel density you used? I am ready that 3840 x 5760 would be best but cannot find anything that size. Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sams club had these on sale for $298, couldn't pass on it, love it so far! Can I ask were you found the phote for the display and what pixel density you used? I am ready that 3840 x 5760 would be best but cannot find anything that size. Thanks
How long ago did you get it for $298 at Sam's?

I belong to Costco but I'd join Sam's if I could get that same deal!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts