AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I have a 26' Toshiba, HD Ready (1366X768). I'm connecting it via VGA with my laptop.

The problem is that I simply cannot make the bloody LCD map 1 to 1 despite the right resolution!

I managed to force the video card to output 1366x768 using Powerstrip. (1360 and 1368 are also possible) Vertically, there is perfect pixel mapping (768), but horizontally not.

When displaying 1024X768, there is perfect pixel mapping on both dimensions (after setting 4:3 in the TV and getting huge black bands on the sides), so it is possible!

I thought the problem might me over/underscan, but playing around H-size, H-position and Phase didn't make it better. (I used the dedicated picture in "Nokia monitor tester" to tell if it's getting better or worse)

The TV doesn't have a lot of options I can set. It just has the ones mentioned above, and on "auto" it just stretches the image to fit the screen.

How can I not get 1:1 when the TV gets exactly the same number of pixels it can display? Could there be a problem with the geometry?

Any ideas? Remember, the problem is only with the H axis, the V one is perfect.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
You'd probably have better luck asking this over in the HTPC area, since it isn't strictly a calibration issue per se.

Also check the documentation for your TV. The VGA inputs on most TVs accept only a limited number of resolutions, and there should be a list of those-and any limitations such as display in only 4:3 format-in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a Vizio VO-32l that does not have 1:1 pixel mapping, here is what I did. Set the computer output to 1360x768, none of this messing with powerstrip. Go to your tv and run the auto picture thingy so it trys to stretch the image to fit. Load up the attached image in fullscreen mode and mess with the width displacement and stretch to achieve a uniform shade across the whole screen. you will lose 6 pixels of width on either side but I challenge you to notice that.

1360x768 test pattern.zip 2.3349609375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich /forum/post/18267133

I have a Vizio VO-32l that does not have 1:1 pixel mapping, here is what I did. Set the computer output to 1360x768, none of this messing with powerstrip. Go to your tv and run the auto picture thingy so it trys to stretch the image to fit. Load up the attached image in fullscreen mode and mess with the width displacement and stretch to achieve a uniform shade across the whole screen. you will lose 6 pixels of width on either side but I challenge you to notice that.

Thanks for your reply. But:
Quote:

none of this messing with powerstrip.

How am I supposed to even set that resolution without Powerstrip? It's not like it's standard.
Quote:

Load up the attached image in fullscreen mode and mess with the width displacement and stretch to achieve a uniform shade across the whole screen.
Like I said, I was using "Nokia monitor tester" which, among other functions, tests the pixel mapping by showing such an image. I messed with it all I could and nothing helped. I always get at least 6 shady vertical areas which leads me to think that the bloody TV makes some sort of internal rescaling I cannot control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts