AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to get interested into home theater audio and video so I really don't know too much. I have had my Samsung UN55D7000 for about 1 month now and I the picture looks pretty good but there's a catch. Ever since upgrading to the latest firmware 3 days ago, everything I watch looks fake. I can't continue to watch TV like this but I also can't find a fix anywhere. It's not fake like Auto Motion Plus makes it look (SOE). Not only does it look fake but I am now also getting image stutter and blur. I have all of the extra image processing crap turned off but for some reason, it looks like something is still activated.

Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20874125

I am just starting to get interested into home theater audio and video so I really don't know too much. I have had my Samsung UN55D7000 for about 1 month now and I the picture looks pretty good but there's a catch. Ever since upgrading to the latest firmware 3 days ago, everything I watch looks fake. I can't continue to watch TV like this but I also can't find a fix anywhere. It's not fake like Auto Motion Plus makes it look (SOE). Not only does it look fake but I am now also getting image stutter and blur. I have all of the extra image processing crap turned off but for some reason, it looks like something is still activated.

Well, it looks as if you've been posting variations of the same issue (or lack thereof) in several different threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355011 "My step father just gave me a UN55D7000 for a house warming present."

It's a great looking TV and the bezel is just super sexy. My dilemma is I think my settings could be a little bit better. I keep fiddling with them thinking I can get more out of it."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20847822 "I just traded in my nx720 for the 7000 Samsung. Needless to say, it's the best looking picture and TV I have ever owned. I can now watch my sports without seeing blur or studder."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20860379 "After downloading the latest firmware, I am having some serious picture problems. I prefer to have a natural picture so I have all that extra stuff like Auto Motion Plus and LED Motion Plus disabled. The weird thing is, after downloading the latest firmware update, my picture still looks a little fake. It didn't look like this prior to the new update though. I've had the new firmware for 2 days now and constantly fiddling with the picture to try and make it go back to its natural look. Instead of everything looking like a soap opera, it now looks like everyone is standing in front of a green screen. They just don't blend into the surroundings well, especially when the camera is panning. Does anyone know what else could be effecting my picture?"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1356677 See link #4 "Each firmware update Samsung releases improves upon the Auto Motion technology. It is looking less and less like a soap opera when enabled. I bring this up because most of the issues I have had with both sets have been improved greatly or have gone away with each firmware update."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1356762 "Not only does it look fake but I am now also getting image stutter and blur."

It appears that you are satisfied in one thread and then in the next thread you are dissatisfied. I never have understood why people who have a decent TV have to start messing with it. Invariably, they screw it up and and then all of a sudden don't care for it that much anymore.

And, by the way, did your stepfather buy it as a housewarming present or did you trade your Sony NX720 for it?

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:

Boy, you are in big trouble now! You are going to get a timeout!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20874366

Well, it looks as if you've been posting variations of the same issue (or lack thereof) in several different threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355011 "My step father just gave me a UN55D7000 for a house warming present."

It's a great looking TV and the bezel is just super sexy. My dilemma is I think my settings could be a little bit better. I keep fiddling with them thinking I can get more out of it."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20847822 "I just traded in my nx720 for the 7000 Samsung. Needless to say, it's the best looking picture and TV I have ever owned. I can now watch my sports without seeing blur or studder."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20860379 "After downloading the latest firmware, I am having some serious picture problems. I prefer to have a natural picture so I have all that extra stuff like Auto Motion Plus and LED Motion Plus disabled. The weird thing is, after downloading the latest firmware update, my picture still looks a little fake. It didn't look like this prior to the new update though. I've had the new firmware for 2 days now and constantly fiddling with the picture to try and make it go back to its natural look. Instead of everything looking like a soap opera, it now looks like everyone is standing in front of a green screen. They just don't blend into the surroundings well, especially when the camera is panning. Does anyone know what else could be effecting my picture?"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1356677 See link #4 "Each firmware update Samsung releases improves upon the Auto Motion technology. It is looking less and less like a soap opera when enabled. I bring this up because most of the issues I have had with both sets have been improved greatly or have gone away with each firmware update."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1356762 "Not only does it look fake but I am now also getting image stutter and blur."

It appears that you are satisfied in one thread and then in the next thread you are dissatisfied. I never have understood why people who have a decent TV have to start messing with it. Invariably, they screw it up and and then all of a sudden don't care for it that much anymore.

And, by the way, did your stepfather buy it as a housewarming present or did you trade your Sony NX720 for it?

My stepfather bought it for me for a house warming present. I never had a problem with any of my other Sony's so I decided to stick with Sony for a large screen TV. After I really didn't care for it, I took it back to Best Buy where the guy recommended the Samsung 7000. I knew my Step Father worked for Samsung but I never knew he got such a good discount. After the guy at Best Buy recommended the 7000, I decided to call my step father and ask him if he could get the TV cheaper than what I could have purchased it in the store. He told me yes and that it would be about $800 cheaper for a total price of $1350. It was a no brainer in my book. I couldn't pass up getting a mid grade Samsung for the price of a Vizio. I told him to go ahead and order it for me so he did. He got it shipped to my house and when I called him to ask when he wanted to meet up so I could pay him, he told me, don't worry about it. Consider it a belated house worming present.

I really don't see how searching through my previous posts is helpful at all. Quite frankly, I don't even understand why you did it being that I just asked for help. Are you the forum detective or something?

Back on topic. If you bothered to read my post rather than looking at my old posts then maybe you would have caught on as to why my picture was great and turned to ****. I CLEARLY stated my picture started looking how I described after downloading the new firmware (reading comprehension for the win).

UPDATE: My picture is now lagging during some HD programs. I have all processing settings disabled.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:

Firmware upgrade has to be followed with full set-up (most of the time, but not always...); you may have to remember motion interpolation settings from before the upgrade to re-enter them

Boky

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20875882

My stepfather bought it for me for a house warming present. I never had a problem with any of my other Sony's so I decided to stick with Sony for a large screen TV. After I really didn't care for it, I took it back to Best Buy where the guy recommended the Samsung 7000. I knew my Step Father worked for Samsung but I never knew he got such a good discount. After the guy at Best Buy recommended the 7000, I decided to call my step father and ask him if he could get the TV cheaper than what I could have purchased it in the store. He told me yes and that it would be about $800 cheaper for a total price of $1350. It was a no brainer in my book. I couldn't pass up getting a mid grade Samsung for the price of a Vizio. I told him to go ahead and order it for me so he did. He got it shipped to my house and when I called him to ask when he wanted to meet up so I could pay him, he told me, don't worry about it. Consider it a belated house worming present.

I really don't see how searching through my previous posts is helpful at all. Quite frankly, I don't even understand why you did it being that I just asked for help. Are you the forum detective or something?

Back on topic. If you bothered to read my post rather than looking at my old posts then maybe you would have caught on as to why my picture was great and turned to ****. I CLEARLY stated my picture started looking how I described after downloading the new firmware (reading comprehension for the win).

UPDATE: My picture is now lagging during some HD programs. I have all processing settings disabled.

Actually, my reading comprehension is quite good. In fact, that's part of what I do for a living. But, back to the subject at hand, before you downloaded the new firmware, did you check to see what problems or issues the firmware updates were supposed to address? Were you having issues before you downloaded the new firmware? You never said why you downloaded it, just that you did.

When I bought my Samsung A650, it had a problem with random shut-off at first. Samsung brought out a firmware update to address that. I updated the firmware and the random shut-off problem was solved, never to return. Over the course of the next few months/years, Samsung brought out many other firmware updates. However, I always checked to see what they were for before blindly updating the firmware just for the sake of doing an update. There were several updates I never performed because it wasn't necessary.

There were also firmware updates available for my Samsung B650, but as with my A650, I didn't do an update just for the heck of doing an update.

In one of your first posts regarding your Samsung, you write about how happy you are with it. Then, you later write about fiddling with the controls and doing firmware updates, and now you apparently are no longer satisfied with it.

In my years on this forum, I have read countless threads of people who just have to mess with their TVs long enough to screw them up. Then, they post these horror stories bashing the TV and ultimately move on to another one and start the whole process over again.

I'm not saying that describes you, but if history repeats itself, then...

I do hope you get it working to your satisfaction. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20876886

Actually, my reading comprehension is quite good. In fact, that's part of what I do for a living. But, back to the subject at hand, before you downloaded the new firmware, did you check to see what problems or issues the firmware updates were supposed to address? Were you having issues before you downloaded the new firmware? You never said why you downloaded it, just that you did.

When I bought my Samsung A650, it had a problem with random shut-off at first. Samsung brought out a firmware update to address that. I updated the firmware and the random shut-off problem was solved, never to return. Over the course of the next few months/years, Samsung brought out many other firmware updates. However, I always checked to see what they were for before blindly updating the firmware just for the sake of doing an update. There were several updates I never performed because it wasn't necessary.

There were also firmware updates available for my Samsung B650, but as with my A650, I didn't do an update just for the heck of doing an update.

In one of your first posts regarding your Samsung, you write about how happy you are with it. Then, you later write about fiddling with the controls and doing firmware updates, and now you apparently are no longer satisfied with it.

In my years on this forum, I have read countless threads of people who just have to mess with their TVs long enough to screw them up. Then, they post these horror stories bashing the TV and ultimately move on to another one and start the whole process over again.

I'm not saying that describes you, but if history repeats itself, then...

I do hope you get it working to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Before this recent update, I wasn't having any problems at all. The reason why I downloaded the new update is because I saw someone here saying that it improved ghosting when watching 3D movies. Do you know of anyone else with a LED who complained of the same problems I'm having with my picture? It's is crystal clear with great color and contrast but TV shows and Movies look faker than before. The people in the movies and shows are kind of popping out from the background and when they move it kind of looks weird.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/20876141

Firmware upgrade has to be followed with full set-up (most of the time, but not always...); you may have to remember motion interpolation settings from before the upgrade to re-enter them

Boky

Excuse my ignorance but what what and where are the motion interpolation settings. If your talking about the Auto Motion Plus and LED Motion Plus settings, I have them disabled because they make the TV look extremely fake.

·
Registered
19,753 Posts
My suggestion would be to sit down and quietly go thru the owner's manual and familiarize yourself with all of the settings and what they do. Write down what you have set so far and then reset the tv to default settings. Plug in your settings one by one and see what happens to the pq. If that doesn't work, then call Samsung. Just because there is an update out there it doesn't mean that you have to install it. I would see what the update does and if you don't have any of the problems that it fixes, then don't update. And if you do update, follow the instructions exactly. If you don't understand them, call Samsung.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I figured out my problem but I can't check it until my cable and power come back on. We just had a bad storm roll through here last night. Anyhow, I've been doing a lot of research and it seems my problem is stemming from too much depth to the picture. All the calibration settings I have scene for my TV has said to crank the contrast up to 95 but from what I've been reading, that's not what you want to do. I read that it will create an artificial depth of field that causes the characters to pop out and not blend into the background. I also have the black level set to dark which also creates an artificial depth of field.

Does this all sound right to any of you?

·
Registered
19,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster /forum/post/20880133

UPDATE.....My TV looks normal again with no lag. I had a calibration expert tell me to calibrate it in Game Mode which provides you with the most accurate picture.

I don't buy that unless you play mostly games. Besides, on my tv the presets (of which Game is one) don't have all of the calibration options available that the Expert settings do.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0

I don't buy that unless you play mostly games. Besides, on my tv the presets (of which Game is one) don't have all of the calibration options available that the Expert settings do.

Its not supposed to. Game mode disables most of the processor functions in the TV and gives you the exact image from the source. Its not completely reworking the picture to the point in which it becomes artificial looking. Game mode also kills local dimming.

Seriously though. When im watching TV, I cannot keep this TV from lagging for the first couple minutes when changing the channel. I guess I should call Samsung because this is totally uncalled for. If anyone would like to see a video of my lag, I would be more than happy to make a video. Mind you, this lag is coming with Auto Motion Plus and all of the other crap disabled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.