Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Message to Sony:

I am concerned that if I purchace a "HDTV Ready" television now that it will be obsolete when the new sets come out with 5C copy protection and firewire input connections. The press has printed that some HDTV content in the near future will be copy protected with 5C copy protection and can not be viewed in full native 1080i with current generation "HDTV Ready" TV's that only have analog component imputs. Other AV forums on the internet

support this also. Should I wait and buy a next generation Sony TV with the appropriate firewire inputs? Will some of the current TV's have an upgrade to view 5C protected content?

Thanks.

Sony's Response:

Thank you for contacting SONY.

In an effort to protect substantial investments in properties broadcast as HDTV, the 5c copy protection method has been agreed to by several entities.

This copyright protection does not apply to all HDTV broadcasts, only those the presenter wishes to protect. It does not prohibit viewing the material,it may however, downgrade it.

The implementation of the 5c copyright protection was decided on after the design, manufacture, and sale of several of our HDTV or High Definition devices. SONY is looking into what can be done and we expect an official

answer - as soon as it is developed we will share with our customers. In the mean time please enjoy your HDTV and remember all HDTV broadcasting will not include 5c copyright protection.

The answers to many customer questions may be found at: http://www.sony.ca/sonyca/customersupport.shtml

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group

Customer Information Centre

Sony of Canada Ltd.

CSRD

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sound familiar? See TomKemp's response from Sony on this forum. They know about this and have now have a canned response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.