AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the game for awhile, need some advice.

I'm going to look into the cost of repairing the DC-1, but if its prohibitive, will look at both used/new replacements.

My only inputs are optical audio and component video. The DC-1 handled the audio for me, but if I could find something that switched HD video as well, I'd be even happier. Don't need HDMI at all as the display only has component inputs.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have a 5.1 setup, but I did use the Logic 7 effect preset.

also.. incase you want to know, the DC-1 fed into an ADCOM 100w x5 channel amp. (model GFA???)

my speakers are Mirage omnipolar.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
How did your DC-1 die?

If it just won't power on it might be the power supply died. Some models of them can be fixed very easily. If not Lexicon sells the power supply for around $60 and it is easy to swap out.

Shawn

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
If your dc-1 is that cheap to fix than keep it. I have tried some of the new lossless sound from cheaper receivers and still prefer dts and DD with the higher end equipment. If you want to change no matter what I would try out some others. Used high end is great.

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
No, its not. Just because something can do something does not mean it can do it well. This my personal opinion.

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
No, again that is my opinion with 2 specific pieces of gear. I don't think DTS is better than lossless(overall) but lossless thru the denon and lossless thru my ADA was not the same. There were some things with lossless that I did like better but the overall realism of the ADA was better. It also was not bright like the denon. I would still recommend the Denon. I was trying to help the OP, you were just trying to argue about separates vs receivers again, because you always do.

Blueray I am curious, what have you owned(especially the high end) and actually listened to in your house that makes you tell everyone not to do what they want to? What is your system?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Funny, mine just died too. When I power up it goes through the power on diagnostics and then it repeats over and over. So I took the thing apart and the first thing I always check on these things is power supply. Sure enough I got a leaky cap in the PS a 10V 1800uf. I ordered some and should get them by Thursday. Cost of the cap 47 cents, shipping was $4.00, so I bought a half dozen of each of the common caps in the power supply.

I'm really shocked that Lexicon has not introduced a pre/pro with the HD codecs on it. If the cap does not fix the issue (I'm 99% sure it will), I will look into buying a used DC-2 or an MC-1. I've had my DC-1 for about 10 years now, so my next "upgrade" will have to include Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio with HDMI 1.3 switching. I really like the Lexi 7.1 logic, so I will probably wait around until Lexicon introduces such a model.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"When I power up it goes through the power on diagnostics and then it repeats over and over."

Is it putting up an error code or just cycling through diagnostics?

If it has an error code it probably isn't the power supply. If it is just cycling through diagnostics it might be the supply in that it has a low voltage which keeps tripping brown out.

"I'm really shocked that Lexicon has not introduced a pre/pro with the HD codecs on it."

Why? LPCM over HDMI with Lexicon post-processing works very well. Lossless is lossless no matter where it is decoded.

The other option later Lexicon owners use too of course is the 6 channel analog inputs to listen to the newer formats.

Shawn

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
Hi bluray,

I own the cinema rhapsody and just sold the suite 7.1. The used market on these are awesome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It just cycles over and over through diagnostics, no error code. I pulled the DSP Daughtercard and it generated an e09 error as I expected it would. When I put it back, then it just recylces through diagnostics.

Unfortunately my DC-1 does not have the 6 channel analog inputs. My Toshiba HD-A2 does not have 6 channel ouput except through the HDMI port. I should probably acquire one that does, but I just don't want to invest more than the $250 that I plunked down for it. As things settle down and prices come down a bit more, I might bite into a higher end dual format player with analog outputs. Ideally I would like to have Lexicon post processing on the lossless formats, but I'm kind of satisfied with the way it sounds now, so unless the cap doesn't fix the unit. I'll just stand pat.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"It just cycles over and over through diagnostics, no error code."

That should be the low voltage brownout then. The new cap might get the power supply back up and running properly.

"Unfortunately my DC-1 does not have the 6 channel analog inputs."

Yup, but if you ever want it to have an 8 channel analog input let me know. I mod the DC-1,DC-2 and MC-1s to have that.

"Ideally I would like to have Lexicon post processing on the lossless formats"

That would take a MC-12, MC-12HD or RV-8 and maybe the RV-5/MV-5.

Shawn

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had my DC-1 for 9 years, and it still works fine. But, I just replaced it with the Integra DTC 9.8 which I got saturday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was looking at the Integra, but I really use my DC-1 for the Lexi's 7.1 music mode and I don't think I can live without it now.

sfogg, does the mod entail adding input jacks on the back?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Nope, no dilling/punching on the chassis required.

It works like it does in the MC-4/8/12 in that when you configure the 8 channel analog bypass input 4 pairs of analog inputs on the rear panel become the 8 channel input. The corresponding front panel logical inputs of course can still be used for digital sources.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 40 Posts