AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LT150 decided to warp something fan related today, a week after getting it. I've always noticed the thing gets very hot just sitting on a table and perhaps thats the issue. It seems to be definatly a fan scraping noise. Picture stays fine but its so loud that its unusable http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . Anyone else run into this? I've been on hold for 22 minutes waiting to talk to NEC...We'll see what happens

-Trouble

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sounds like it is time to put that instacare into service. I just got mine two weeks ago and yes it is very hot but no fan scraping noises. I have it ceiling mounted so it is inverted and the fan is always in high speed.

Hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Great to hear. So they ship a new projector to you then once you get it you ship yours back? Do you have to pay shipping at all or is it all covered?

·
Registered
221 Posts
My company's LT-150 did the same thing. Fast delivery of a new one (didn't seem refurbished).

NEC didn't include return instructions - we had to call back and they arranged pickup by a shipper unknown to me.

drewman

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They took a credit card number and put a 2500$ hold on it to make sure I return the bad one, they told me to call them when the unit arrives and they'll schedule a courier to come pick the bad one up and I should keep all of my existing cables etc, just take out the projector and swap it with the bad one. Then stick some orange label on the box. I don't have to pay for anything. They said the unit will be an 'open box' (specifically NOT a refurb, I asked) from a company that buys (for example) 100 units, tests them then decides to keep only 95 (uhh ok..) and the unit will have less than 100 hours on it (I think mine has like 30 on it right now) Same warranty, and if the bulb goes within 6 months, they cover it. I'd have had the thing next day but it was too late for them to ship fedex so it'll be fedexed tomorrow. All in all pretty hassle free thus far.

Trouble

·
Registered
918 Posts
Mine had a fan rubbing problem after very few hours on the bulb. Instacare had a new projector at my door the next day. I was impressed. I'd buy a NEC projector given the service was beyond my expectations. Perfect for a business that relied on the unit.

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Troubleshooter, you said that if the bulb goes within 6 months they'll cover it. Shouldn't this always be the case if you have a 2 year warranty (that's how long it is, right)? Obviously, I'm assuming you don't use up the 1000 hour life within 6 months. I wouldn't expect them to replace it in that instance.

Scott

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Projector showed up at 8:30AM today! Jeez not bad service eh?! My point on the bulb was that even if its not "NEW", they'll cover it regardless, that's all. The unit shows 49 hours on it.

-Trouble

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bearings in my fan have gone bad after 3 months. NEC was good about it- sending a replacement to me (I finally called) and then I return my projector in their box. Very good service! Obviously the fans they were using are bad, as I've heard this problem comes up a lot.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I thought I remembered this thread and thought "lucky me" back then. Well now that's changed. It's now "unlucky me" :(. Time to see how good local warranty is for an import projector.

Oh yes - I believe the reason this happened was overheating. By mistake I forgot to turn on the fan in my hushbox. There's still ventilation, but apparently not enough. After about an hour the fan noise started - and just got worse after that. Pj was very hot to the touch, could not touch it for long without burning my fingers. I guesstimate about 60-70C.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
All I got to say is - wow. Called Nec yesterday morning. Today I have a new LT150 in my hands courtesy of DHL. Overnight deliver from the UK no less. Talk about service. I had my doubts since this is an import, but apparently Instacare is absolutely something that works beyond borders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is good to hear! I don't think saving a few hundred $'s on a used projector is worth it if the insta-care program is void.

It really is a great program. I'm happy it is working so well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
well one of my lt150's fans died in a noisy blaze of glory last night... ghaaaaa! less than 30 hours on the projector...

sounds like calling NEC direct is the thing to do... so if they don't have any new 150s left which model has the new color wheel? ;)

btw.. aside from the *fan* dying and the *fan* noise - this projector rocks! (esp w/the ati dvd player)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I didn't realize how sensitive this projector is to heat. I had it on and was playing around with my half hush box. (not exactly hush hush :) ) I have a hole cut out that matches up with the exhaust fans and I covered that since that is where most of the noise was coming from. There was still room inside for the air to flow out the back of the box but I guess not enough. After 5 minutes the fan turned into a high screaching squeal. Yikes!! I shut it right down and will let it cool down before I turn it on to see if there was any perminate damage, otherwise I guess I will give instantcare a try myself.

I'll admit though, it sure was quiet with that one side covered. Back to the drawing board I guess.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm having a problem with mine.

Sometimes when I turn it on, the lamp will come on, but then it shuts itself off completely. No orange led or anything?

The only way I can get it back on, is to unplug it and replug it.

Seems like a short? Fuse/switch blown?

Calling nectech today.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Got a hold of NEC and they didn't have any to do a swap with unless I wanted a refurbished one. They are on back order so I ended up having to send it to them and they will fix it and return it. Guaranteed in 72 hours so I'm not complaining. He also said that the LT150 was discontinued. I thought that it was still going to be part of this years product line along with the LT150z. Guess not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I called them to. They didn't say anything about backorder to me though. Refurb coming today. They said what they'll do when they receive mine is swap out the boards and the lamp, and put it in the stock room as a refurb. This makes me kind of anxious about receiving a refurb...

·
Registered
88 Posts
@Frode

Hey that's what I told you! The most companies don't care where you bought the PJ as long as the unit is not "HOT" ;)

So you should have a Pixelerrorfree unit now?!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got my Lt150 back... took only a couple of days to get ship to Nec and get the fan replaced... Nec even shipped both ways (NICE)... all in all fairly painless... now on to the hushbox construction...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.