AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who aren't aware, Michael Seedman has been named Chairman of the new Digital Networks North America under D&M Holdings, which consists of the Rio, Escient, and ReplayTV products. And Mr. Seedman was kind enough meet me for lunch today to discuss the short and long-term future of ReplayTV. While I can't divulge all the details of our meeting, I wanted to share the impressions that I could:

First things first: I've never felt so confident about the future of ReplayTV.

Mr. Seedman is a ReplayTV user. He "gets it". He was on the pre-order list for the ReplayTV 2001 model, and currently has several Replays in his home. And like anyone who's had the pleasure of owning a Replay, he's a fan of the product. The acquisition of Replay did not come just because Replay was for sale, this was a company he wanted to run. (I didn't ask him if he was going to do the "I liked it so much I bought the company" TV ads :) )

As a user of ReplayTV, Mr. Seedman is also aware of the shortcomings of the ReplayTV. He expressed great enthusiasm about solving some of the nagging problems Replay users have seen, and equal enthusiasm about future development of the product. He also expressed a great desire to keep the lines of communication open between the company and users, including participation in forums like this one.

Lastly, Mr. Seedman is interested in growing the company. I did not get the impression at all that ReplayTV was to become a "boutique" product, quite the opposite in fact. Could it be that in a year from now when you say "I own a ReplayTV", you won't have to add "It's like a TiVo"?

I'm very sorry that I can't give many specifics on the conversation, but I'm going to answer one of the most asked questions of the last month: If I had a new ReplayTV on order right now, I'd sign for the package. And maybe order another one.

D&M is still in the process of taking over the Replay business and still formulating their plan, but I think we can look forward to hearing from them soon. Like I said, this guy "gets it", and I think that ReplayTV is going to benefit very much from having that perspective at the top.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome. Good to hear.:)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I expected this, and I'm relieved to finally hear something like this. Thanks for going the extra mile for the RTV communicty, Justin. Much appreciated :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well this is a "me too" post but I thought I'd go ahead and say that I really appreciate jleavens sharing his impressions with us and it does appear that the future of the ReplayTV is bright.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Who picked up the check?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Embarassingly enough, I forgot my wallet at home :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
suuuuuuuure you did ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Being a new user to ReplayTV I'm happy to read that the new regime is going to try and not only keep Replay going but increase ownership while improving the service.

Even though I had some problems with my unit today (had to 'factory default' it, deleting all the shows I had), I can see the potential this system has.

-Jody

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Thanks, Justin. Best thread I've seen here in months.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
well Justin, this is kick-ass news. i trust your enthusiasm and seedman's as well. but, after the last experience for this company, i have to ask. trying not to sound rude: what is michael seedman's track record?

i really, really hope this and the company he's going to run has what it takes to turn replaytv into the successful product/service that it deserves to be.

cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
I'm very sorry that I can't give many specifics on the conversation, but I'm going to answer one of the most asked questions of the last month: If I had a new ReplayTV on order right now, I'd sign for the package. And maybe order another one.
Should we take this to mean that the service fees will be going up soon? I think I'm going to heed jleavens advice and get a 3rd ReplayTV sooner than later - and tell my parents (both in there 70s) to get there 2nd/3rd units now as well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
"Sign for the package" refers to people who ordered Replays but were considering refusing shipment because of the uncertain future of Replays, not to the subscription fees.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
"Sign for the package" refers to people who ordered Replays but were considering refusing shipment because of the uncertain future of Replays, not to the subscription fees.
Thanks heathriel, I took it as the "lifetime package" vs. monthly. ;)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by j.freiman
Should we take this to mean that the service fees will be going up soon?
No. There was no talk of a price hike.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
This is truly uplifting news. Thanks, Justin! :)

Out of curiosity, did Mr. Seedman happen to mention whether or not he owns a Tivo as well? Possessing an intimate knowledge of the competition is half the battle.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Finally I feel comfortable enough to go LIFETIME on my two 5040's. And for me that's saying a lot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought this item about Mr. Seedman might be appropriate for this thread.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
I'm curious if Show Sharing and the lawsuits got any significant attention in your conversation?

Tim
Nothing I can discuss. Obviously an issue that will have to get settled. It will certainly be interesting to see how the Hollywood plaintiffs react to the new ownership...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.