AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought about 10 Maxell DVD-Ram discs over the last 2 years and everyone of them have failed. I bought them at BB and Walmart. Panasonic DVD-RAMS over the last 2 years have never failed. The Maxells recorded erratically at times and then just failed to record getting "incompatible disc" on the Panny DVD recorders. Never again will I buy a Maxell disc.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have 2 Maxell Rams that I have been using for about a year now & now they are just starting to give me trouble because sometimes they won't read until I eject them & sometimes that's over & over again that I have to eject them until they can be read.

And that makes them unreliable for "Timer Recordings"

I have never had any trouble at all with Panny RAM discs.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

I bought about 10 Maxell DVD-Ram discs over the last 2 years and everyone of them have failed. I bought them at BB and Walmart. Panasonic DVD-RAMS over the last 2 years have never failed. The Maxells recorded erratically at times and then just failed to record getting "incompatible disc" on the Panny DVD recorders. Never again will I buy a Maxell disc.

HG, you already know what I'm going to say. Have you tried washing the disks with liquid dish soap and a soft washcloth to see if that fixes them up. Works every time for errant Panasonic RAMs.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/0

HG, you already know what I'm going to say. Have you tried washing the disks with liquid dish soap and a soft washcloth to see if that fixes them up. Works every time for errant Panasonic RAMs.

I will try that but I never had to do that with any Panny DVD-RAMs because I never had any errant ones. BTW my tree bark days are over.

·
Registered
977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

I will try that but I never had to do that with any Panny DVD-RAMs because I never had any errant ones. BTW my tree bark days are over.

You guys are joking about this, right? I can't imagine how it could help a disc that looks perfectly clean like the one I tossed did.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a software tool other than Nero CD speed (and other than Plextools, none of my drives are Plextor, no ram read with those guys) that can check for physical errors on RAM disc?

I have had more Panny rams fail than I care to count. (Failure based read errors then verifed by a surface check using Nero CD Speed on at least 2 different drives.) It is a relatively small portion of my inventory but the idea than RAM's can be an archival media was shot out the water in my mind. (Yes Kelson, I did try washing them.) I often have having trouble running Nero CD Speed to check the surface quality. I have to pop the disc and retry several times to get it to run when I have a suspect disc. I'm guessing I have driver or firmware issues with my drives.

Out of the 100 or so Panny ram discs I have about 10 with serious surface errors.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Like Kelson, I have had -RAM disks that look perfect, even when examined using a magnifying glass, but would not work properly in my EH50. After a quick cleaning with mild soap and water, and drying with a lint-free cloth, they have all come back. Ironically, I have Maxell and Panasonic DVD-RAM disks, but the Maxells are 5x while the Panasonic ones are all 3x, so the Maxells get used a lot. I have had more problems with the Panasonic then the Maxell disks. I had two five packs of Pansonics very bad, right out of the box, but worked flawlessly many times after an initial cleaning. I now wash all my -RAMs when they are new, before the initial use. Someone here said that there is a lubricant used on the disk presses, and if there was too much applied, or if it wasn't completely removed in the fabrication process, it can interfere with the laser. So... I wash 'em and they work.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
I hesitate to say it here for fear of being ostracized, BUT, I have purchased a CD/DVD disk washer/cleaner. It consists of a motor driven spindle and two soft round sponge pads that are in fixed positions on either side of the disk, but they themselves spin on their own centers. this cleans the disk very thoroughly with little effort, except for a quick rinse and the drying. A drop or two of dish soap, and some water on each sponge and just close the lid and press the button. It turns itself off when done. Why the fear? It's made by Memorex. I won't use their media, but this washer works quite well for me.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/0

I hesitate to say it here for fear of being ostracized, BUT, I have purchased a CD/DVD disk washer/cleaner. It consists of a motor driven spindle and two soft round sponge pads that are in fixed positions on either side of the disk, but they themselves spin on their own centers. this cleans the disk very thoroughly with little effort, except for a quick rinse and the drying. A drop or two of dish soap, and some water on each sponge and just close the lid and press the button. It turns itself off when done. Why the fear? It's made by Memorex. I won't use their media, but this washer works quite well for me.

I love it, Church. Did you buy the companion disk rewinder?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well, all I can say is thank you guys, I grabbed the disc out of the trash bin, washed it good with soap and water and it seems good as new. When I looked at it under bright light it had a kind of greasy looking film over it, and as I thought about it the disc was right out of the wrapping, never used before. Fingerprints (not mine) and all. I washed it and recorded on it tonight and it is flawless. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quick question: Is it better to record shows to watch (but not necessarily to save) onto DVD-RAM instead of the HDD? So far, the only shows I've put on my HDD (EH75VS) are ones I plan to copy to DVD, but eventually, I might need it for shows I just want to time-shift. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/0

Well, all I can say is thank you guys, I grabbed the disc out of the trash bin, washed it good with soap and water and it seems good as new. When I looked at it under bright light it had a kind of greasy looking film over it, and as I thought about it the disc was right out of the wrapping, never used before. Fingerprints (not mine) and all. I washed it and recorded on it tonight and it is flawless. Thanks guys!

Another satisfied customer. Yes, I was not kidding. This RAM washing thing is well documented by a small and growing handful of us -- you are now part of the crew. I have around 60 Panasonic RAMs and in 2 years of use I have never had a RAM fail, permanently. I've had some that gave me trouble after a while but then after washing they were good as new. So I simply started washing them when I opened a new pack before first use and have never had a problem with a P-RAM since. Others, like Church had a couple RAMs go bad which were also "fixed" by washing them. So now whenever anyone reports a problem with a RAM, the first thing one of us says it to try washing it then reformat and go.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezbot /forum/post/0

Quick question: Is it better to record shows to watch (but not necessarily to save) onto DVD-RAM instead of the HDD? So far, the only shows I've put on my HDD (EH75VS) are ones I plan to copy to DVD, but eventually, I might need it for shows I just want to time-shift. Thank you!

I advise using the HDD.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.