AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending way too much time building my dedicated audio/video room, I've finally gotten to the point where I can start enjoying it. I've gotten many ideas/tips from the forum, and I thought it would be great to share my results. I wanted the room optimized for 2 channel sound, and this is what Richard Rives and I came up with. I did the entire build-out myself. So far, I'm very happy with the results. I haven't heard a better system at any audio salon. Some details and pictures follow:

Rives Audio Design, featuring:

- Sealed bass traps in all corners

- Wall traps

- Diffusion/absorption system in ceiling

- Curved passive resonator on front wall

- RPG BAD panels

- Homemade absorption panels

- Staggered bookcases in rear of room (for diffusion/diffraction)

- Equipment rack w/rear access from attached closet

- Wood floor in front 1/4 of room

- Separate electrical sub-panel, w/dedicated audio equipment lines wired with 10 ga wire, and equal length wire runs

Some of my equipment includes:

- Panasonic PT-AX200U projector

- Draper Premier tab-tensioned screen (92", 16:9)

- Magnepan 1.6QR main speakers w/upgraded x-over and hardwood stands

- Magnepan MMGW surround speakers

- Magnepan MGCC3 center channel (not installed yet, not sure if I really need it, the phantom center works well)

- Home made subwoofer (Adire Shiva 12" driver, 15" passive radiator, 250W plate amp)

- Benchmark Media DAC-HDR for 2 channel, fed by

- Rotel RSP985 pre-pro for surround

- Audio Research 100.2 amp (mains)

- Rotel RB985-MkII amp (surrounds)

- Oppo DV-981HD universal player

- BetterCables Silver Serpent II cables (both balanced and single ended)

Attachment 128230

Concept layout from Rives

Attachment 128231

Construction photo of bass trap (before sealing up)

Attachment 128234

View from entrance

Attachment 128235

With screen down

Attachment 128236

View from front of room

I hope some of you find this info useful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
529 Posts
Very interesting. Great job. Are the speaker wires from the amp on little supports?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the speaker wires are lifted off of the floor with wooden blocks. A tweak that seems to tighten up the bass and generally improve the sound. It also seems to be a great discussion-starter

·
Banned
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsully99 /forum/post/15435511

Yes, the speaker wires are lifted off of the floor with wooden blocks. A tweak that seems to tighten up the bass and generally improve the sound. It also seems to be a great discussion-starter

Very nice clean look...but major points deducted for the highlighted comment....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updated equipment; new pictures to follow.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.