AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received two sb mfw-15's about two weeks ago. I need more time with them but will post my thoughts as of now.

My setup is in a smaller enclosed home theater room that measures 11X15 and has the side reflection points treated along

with some bass traps in the corners. My associated equipment includes the H/K 745 used as a pre-pro, the best thing about

the 745 is the ability to eq two subs independently and thats exactly what Ive done. Amps are citaion 7.1, speakers are NHT

M-6's and NHT l5'S , Front projector is a Benq W5000.


Now on to the important stuff on hand. I must say when I received the two MFW-15's I was VERY impressed with the packaging ( thank God,

as Ive had many a subwoofers shipped in the orginal packaging that was insufficient ). My shipping department guys

were even impressed by the secure packaging. The best part was that the boxes werent really even that big. I was able to get

BOTH subs in the boxes into my Mazda 3 Hatchback ( just barely though).

Unpackaging was just as impressed with the ease and straightfowardness. The Subs LOOK like a more expensive sub then one

would expect for a 699.00 sub. Nice finish, everything in order and no complaints at all.


Hooked then up in short order, The problem with my small room is the only place they will fit is, one in between the left and center speaker

along the front wall with the other sub in between the right and center on the front wall with the subs layed on their sides

and driver facing straight out ( subs layed on sides as to not obstruct pj screen ).


I should state that I had a really nice sub prior to this sub ( JL audio Fathom F112 ) that was truely an awesome sub but

I wanted a little more oomph and couldnt afford a second one, Before this I had a HSU VTF-HO with Turbo and before that

a couple of sealed James Cinema 15 inch subs, prior to that a couple of older SVS tubes.


Anyway on the the MFW's. I do have an audible hum on both units ( all my other subs did not have any hum at all in my new house ).

Im not sure why the hum is there on the MFW's, but I used cheater plugs to quiet the hum to non-existant...dead quiet with cheater plugs.

I did a bunch of trouble shooting before resorting to cheater plugs but couldnt resolve the issue. Secondly the mfw amps do get a little

warmer then I would like, especially in my small room as it heats up quickly. I had decided to put them on x-10 switches and turn them

totally off when not in use ( I use a remote to turn on the x-10 wall plugs.


The first up was black hawk down on blu-ray via the PS3. The very first thing I noticed ( and continue to notice )

is that these subs shake the house/walls/couch like no other Ive had, Im not just talking spl's here but literally

shaking the hell out of everything ( I like it )...but for those in apartments etc. forget about these subs.

On the F-in Irine scene thats goes down to 10 hz I believe, the mfw-s are truely inpressive reaching down very deep

and with plenty of spls. Keep in mind that My room creates around 5 hz or so lower in the spectrum form natural room gain therefore the

mfw's seem to go down to around 15 hz without a sweat. I got out the radio shack meter and measured around 114 db on those balck hawk down

scenes ( the f112 reached around 106 which for a small sub was very impressive ) but the mfw's seemed like they had alot

left in the tank and werent even close to aproaching dstortion levels. More movies same deal ..all impressive.


Put on some music such as Steeley Dan, Madonna , AC/DC ,and others with good recorded bass. The mfw's didnt have the

same sound as the JL fathom F112'S on music imo. Somehow the F112 could go up and down the bass spectum with more

tonlilty and pitch difference in between the higher/mid and lower bass...there is something truely special about

the JL fathom and it shows up on music I wont lie. Dont take me wrong, the MFW-15's are very aduquate on music and dont do anything wrong

whatsoever..if I hadnt had the jl fathom, the mfw would have been ahead of the hsu and older svs tube subs in the msuic department.

I also need to break in the mfw's more and also would like to try and re-eq or two along with some minor moving around.


Overall, these seem to be beastly HT subs that can rock the house, and will probably satisfy 95 % of the people on music too.

Excellant value with good looks...


Now, if you could only get one you'd be set
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0


Put on some music such as Steeley Dan, Madonna , AC/DC ,and others with good recorded bass. The mfw's didnt have the same sound as the JL fathom F112'S on music imo.

How have you set up the MFW-15's ? Have you plotted a frequency response curve to determine if they are placed correctly ?


How is the Fathom set up ? Are both subwoofers level matched and in the same position (and EQ'ed identically) to achieve an even playing field ?


I have two MFW-15's and the one that is working (
) is extremely tight with very little overhang. I haven't even equalized the subwoofer yet and it is sounding much better than an SVS PB10-ISD equalized flat. Bass lines are extremely easy to follow. Placement is critical to getting good results.


Once the second unit is up and running I'll plot response curves and comparison charts of a few much higher priced commercially available subwoofers.


Nice review though.


Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
How have you set up the MFW-15's ? Have you plotted a frequency response curve to determine if they are placed correctly ?


How is the Fathom set up ? Are both subwoofers level matched and in the same position (and EQ'ed identically) to achieve an even playing field ?

The fathom has left the house, so they are not in the room at the same time.

Yes, I have did some plots using bass wave sine tones and a radio shack meter. The single Fathom was set up in the optimal position which happened to be between the left and center speaker on the front wall with the driver facing the right wall ( graphed great and had the overall most consistent bass response from seat to seat ).

With the pair of MFW's, like I said theres only so many placed I can put them...one is in the place where the Fathom used to sit and the other is on the same wall...it may not be optimum but there isnt anything I can do about it if it wasnt.

Having said all that, when you hear the Fathom you WILL be impressed and Im not cracking on the MFW15 in the slightest ..I will just leave it at this, If music is your only priority and you have the cash ..the Fathom will show you why it is the king ( imo ) .. you can and would hear the difference all else being equal, sorry.

But, I dont want to sound Like Im being negative about the MFW-15 .. HT is just crazy on these. I for one can tell it was made to pump it out, go low...have NO port noise ( like other ported subs Ive had ) and doesnt have that single notey type bass that I hate on alot of ported subs ... The bass flows without being " choppy" on the MFW-15 and there is no box resonance that I can tell. You couldnt ask for anything more for 700.00 each
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Thanks for the review. I am glad you had some nice subs before, particularly the Fathom. That, of course, is a sealed sub. Thus, it sounds the way it does. It's kind of like trading a Lexus sedan for a truck for more horsepower. But sometimes that's what you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I am glad you had some nice subs before, particularly the Fathom. That, of course, is a sealed sub. Thus, it sounds the way it does. It's kind of like trading a Lexus sedan for a truck for more horsepower. But sometimes that's what you need.

True to a point ... But I want it all, but that would be a pair of F113's
, thats not in the realm of possiblity for me. Anyways in reality , Im more pointed towards HT these days, and the MFW-15's are the "truck" thats made for hauling big loads, it can double as a sedan too, but more like the lexus's little brother, a nice Toyota
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0


Having said all that, when you hear the Fathom you WILL be impressed and Im not cracking on the MFW15 in the slightest ..I will just leave it at this, If music is your only priority and you have the cash ..the Fathom will show you why it is the king ( imo ) ..

I have heard the Velodyne DD-18 and, in my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as my MFW-15 properly set up.

Quote:
you can and would hear the difference all else being equal, sorry.

Why sorry ? You are simply making claims. As for "me" hearing a difference, well, perhaps I would, or perhaps I wouldn't, but it's hardly a fact.


Without having set up both subwoofers in the same position, equalized with the same response curve and level matched, it's very difficult to determine which subwoofer is better.


Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
I have heard the Velodyne DD-18 and, in my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as my MFW-15 properly set up.

You heard the Velo dd-18 so I guess this means you owned one, Im going to assume you met all the requirements you pointed out to me ? same room, same spot, same curve, same volume etc etc

By the way, It really doesnt matter to me what you heard to be honest...Im not trying to be an ass or anything. And your correct, it was presumtive of me to say that you would be impressed by the Fathom...Im still of the opinion that most would however.


One last thing, you keep on mentioning that unless Ive had the in the same spot, calibrated eq and the like that I wouldnt know.

As I stated I do have one MFW-15 in the EXACT same spot, calibrated and eq-ed just like the Fathom , remember the H/K 745 eqs each sub independently..I graphed both, and the graphs were very similar, a couple of small nulls around 50 hz and a peak around 80 hz, both had a small dip around 22hz but then came back up at 20 hz...except that the MFW-15 goes down a little lower ( 2 hz or so ) ( and has the ability to play louder as well ). So, People can read into what they want ( including you ).

I prefered the "sound" of the Fathom for music, I guess the "sorry" part would be if I offended anybody.


PS. When I got the Fathom, it took me all of about two seconds to know it was a truely exceptional sub and different from any subs I had heard before..eq, no eq..run hot, run cool, all positions, bad phase setting etc etc. IT DIDNT MATTER, the thing just sounded awesome even run under conditions as I just mentioned.

But in the end, I wouldnt trade the two mfw-15's for one Fathom f112 ..so thats 1300.00 worth of subs that I would take over a 2700.00 retail sub, not bad imo. I would take two fathom f112's over two nmfw-15s however. One Fathom f113 or two mfw-15s would be a decision I would have to ponder, I suspect I would lean towards the f113 in my smallish room.

This is what Ive heard, how I did it and what I think...take it for what it is, one guys totally honest short review, nothing more and nothing less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Great review psujohny. I am running a JL F112 and I love the way it sounds. If I lived in a bigger place, it's possible I could crave more output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/14213942


I received two sb mfw-15's about two weeks ago. I need more time with them but will post my thoughts as of now.

My setup is in a smaller enclosed home theater room that measures 11X15 and has the side reflection points treated along

with some bass traps in the corners. My associated equipment includes the H/K 745 used as a pre-pro, the best thing about

the 745 is the ability to eq two subs independently and thats exactly what Ive done. Amps are citaion 7.1, speakers are NHT

M-6's and NHT l5'S , Front projector is a Benq W5000.


Now on to the important stuff on hand. I must say when I received the two MFW-15's I was VERY impressed with the packaging ( thank God,

as Ive had many a subwoofers shipped in the orginal packaging that was insufficient ). My shipping department guys

were even impressed by the secure packaging. The best part was that the boxes werent really even that big. I was able to get

BOTH subs in the boxes into my Mazda 3 Hatchback ( just barely though).

Unpackaging was just as impressed with the ease and straightfowardness. The Subs LOOK like a more expensive sub then one

would expect for a 699.00 sub. Nice finish, everything in order and no complaints at all.


Hooked then up in short order, The problem with my small room is the only place they will fit is, one in between the left and center speaker

along the front wall with the other sub in between the right and center on the front wall with the subs layed on their sides

and driver facing straight out ( subs layed on sides as to not obstruct pj screen ).


I should state that I had a really nice sub prior to this sub ( JL audio Fathom F112 ) that was truely an awesome sub but

I wanted a little more oomph and couldnt afford a second one, Before this I had a HSU VTF-HO with Turbo and before that

a couple of sealed James Cinema 15 inch subs, prior to that a couple of older SVS tubes.


Anyway on the the MFW's. I do have an audible hum on both units ( all my other subs did not have any hum at all in my new house ).

Im not sure why the hum is there on the MFW's, but I used cheater plugs to quiet the hum to non-existant...dead quiet with cheater plugs.

I did a bunch of trouble shooting before resorting to cheater plugs but couldnt resolve the issue. Secondly the mfw amps do get a little

warmer then I would like, especially in my small room as it heats up quickly. I had decided to put them on x-10 switches and turn them

totally off when not in use ( I use a remote to turn on the x-10 wall plugs.


The first up was black hawk down on blu-ray via the PS3. The very first thing I noticed ( and continue to notice )

is that these subs shake the house/walls/couch like no other Ive had, Im not just talking spl's here but literally

shaking the hell out of everything ( I like it )...but for those in apartments etc. forget about these subs.

On the F-in Irine scene thats goes down to 10 hz I believe, the mfw-s are truely inpressive reaching down very deep

and with plenty of spls. Keep in mind that My room creates around 5 hz or so lower in the spectrum form natural room gain therefore the

mfw's seem to go down to around 15 hz without a sweat. I got out the radio shack meter and measured around 114 db on those balck hawk down

scenes ( the f112 reached around 106 which for a small sub was very impressive ) but the mfw's seemed like they had alot

left in the tank and werent even close to aproaching dstortion levels. More movies same deal ..all impressive.


Put on some music such as Steeley Dan, Madonna , AC/DC ,and others with good recorded bass. The mfw's didnt have the

same sound as the JL fathom F112'S on music imo. Somehow the F112 could go up and down the bass spectum with more

tonlilty and pitch difference in between the higher/mid and lower bass...there is something truely special about

the JL fathom and it shows up on music I wont lie. Dont take me wrong, the MFW-15's are very aduquate on music and dont do anything wrong

whatsoever..if I hadnt had the jl fathom, the mfw would have been ahead of the hsu and older svs tube subs in the msuic department.

I also need to break in the mfw's more and also would like to try and re-eq or two along with some minor moving around.


Overall, these seem to be beastly HT subs that can rock the house, and will probably satisfy 95 % of the people on music too.

Excellant value with good looks...


Now, if you could only get one you'd be set

Thanks very nice review
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by im the man /forum/post/14217214


Thanks very nice review

I'm also very grateful for this very nice write-up... Long day here in Florida - and I'm packing up now getting ready to leave in the morning for home...


I'm sincerely appreciative...


Thanks again...


All the best...


mls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/14213942


Before this I had a HSU VTF-HO with Turbo and before that a couple of sealed James Cinema 15 inch subs, prior to that a couple of older SVS tubes.

Nice line-up of past subs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0


...but for those in apartments etc. forget about these subs.

Except me, I'm special


Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0


if I hadnt had the jl fathom, the mfw would have been ahead of the hsu and older svs tube subs in the msuic department.

I would say my MFWs are also better with music than my HSU sub and the previous SVS ultras (12") I was using. I do run them hotter for music than movies which seems opposite of what some people have said. They put out enough bass in movies without any help... hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to publish your thoughts and impressions. Good job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow /forum/post/14218304


Nice line-up of past subs.





Except me, I'm special





I would say my MFWs are also better with music than my HSU sub and the previous SVS ultras (12") I was using. I do run them hotter for music than movies which seems opposite of what some people have said. They put out enough bass in movies without any help... hehe

Im just curious. What Hsu sub have u owned? How much better was the MFW-15? How did it compare for home theater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3plew /forum/post/14220523


Im just curious. What Hsu sub have u owned? How much better was the MFW-15? How did it compare for home theater?

I still have my HSU sub (VTF3-MK2), I only use it for music with the Strata Minis in max extension mode. They are in a smaller room and the HSU is more than enough to match with the Minis. I used it for 1 movie when I first got it but basically just to make sure it worked fine since I got it secondhand. I haven't done any side-by-side comparing with the MFWs for movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
psujohny,


I'm curious if you have run only the one MFW-15 that was in the same spot as your JL F112 on music to see if it sounds better?


My guess is that 2 subwoofers are better for HT and 1 may be better for music. Just a thought you might want to give a try since you can turn each sub off independently anyway.


-Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions...Ive been trying a couple of different things, My feelings are the same as of now. Im happy

with the subs and they have met my expectations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I re-ran the eq several times yesterday and also turned the drivers from facing out in the room to facing the right side of the room( for some reason I get a better measured response simply by turning the drivers to the right side ) I measured using bass sine waves and this is indeed the case.

The MFW-15's was still going strong at 14 hz in my room ! ( only down around 3 db) ..of course room gain is helping but never the less pretty impressive. The rest of the spectrum measured fairly flat.

Watched Ratatouie and was rocked by the mfw's ... These things seem to be getting better and better after some breakin. Impactfull would be the one word I would chose for the mfw. No boundaries on headroom is evident, a feeling of hidden power underneath the surface and not overbloated...nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/14234279


I re-ran the eq several times yesterday and also turned the drivers from facing out in the room to facing the right side of the room( for some reason I get a better measured response simply by turning the drivers to the right side ) I measured using bass sine waves and this is indeed the case.

The MFW-15's was still going strong at 14 hz in my room ! ( only down around 3 db) ..of course room gain is helping but never the less pretty impressive. The rest of the spectrum measured fairly flat.

Watched Ratatouie and was rocked by the mfw's ... These things seem to be getting better and better after some breakin. Impactfull would be the one word I would chose for the mfw. No boundaries on headroom is evident, a feeling of hidden power underneath the surface and not overbloated...nice.

Good stuff...


In my room - I get down pretty low also with a TON of slam...


I continue to be MOST IMPRESSED with the 30Hz to 80Hz performance --- in a word... WOW!


All the best...


mls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Well guys I have been off the sub scene for quite some time and wanted to put in my two cents on the MFW 15's. As some of you may know, I have gone through quite a few subs over the past couple of years looking for that perfect sub. I actually got my 2 MFW 15's two months ago but left them in the boxes because I knew I was moving soon and putting them in a dedicated room. Well I have had them set up for about two weeks now and am absolutley blown away by them. They are very accurate, not sloppy at all and they play loud and low without any sign of stress or distortion. I am from the car audio world where I had a very accurate car that won sound quality competitions as well as spl comps and have been looking for a home sub that wowed me like the ones I had in my car, well my search has come to an end. I couldn't be more pleased and impressed than I am.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top