AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be building two micro wreckers here this week but have been looking for a driver with a lil more power handling then the kicker.

i have 2 amps that can each do either

1300W rms @ 8 ohms

or

1700w rms @ 4 ohms in bridged operation

or in stereo ( 2 channel)

525wpc @ 8 ohms

850wpc @ 4 ohms

1100wpc @ 2 ohms

was hoping lilmike or someone could run a sim with the pa mofo specs for me to see how well they would work , they seem close to the alpine type s which lilmike says works in the microwrecker

heres the specs on the power acoustic mofo
Code:
Code:
[CODE]MOFO-152X             MOFO-154X
Fs                        24.07                             24.4
Qms               6.103                             5.95
Vas                     3.761                           4.077
Xmax mm         15                      15
Xmech mm        22.5                    22.5
Qes           0.48                      0.51
Re                     3.95                     7.23
Znom               4                                8
BL                       21.00                  26.32
Power           1700                  1700
Qts                      0.445                  0.47
SPL            86.9                    86.97
V.C. Size (in.) 2.5                             2.5
V.C. Imp        DVC 2   DVC 4
Cut-out         14.125  14.125
Depth   8.125   8.125
[/CODE]

if my post above hapens to get all messed up the specs can be found on this page
http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2012/subs-MOFO-152X.html

if someone could run it for me it would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23274037

I'm looking forward to the build pics

as long as nothing comes up at work tommorow i should be starting the boxes, ill be sure to take plenty of pictures

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks lilmike

ur quess is as good as mine as to wether those specs are truley accurate , what i do know is that those mofo 15's do get very loud i have a friend whop ran 2 of them in his blazer in a large ported box , and it was stupid loud

i do know the rms ratings are bogus as they can only handle about a true 1k w rms before u start to burn up the vc

the plus side is u can get drop in recone kits for them for 50-60 bucks

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well - using the supplied specs, they both may work. The 152 looks a bit better than the 154, though they are both a bit light on motor.

Unless I had them already, I'd pass and just buy the Alpine Type S 15, cause it is cheaper, it offers more throw, and it is just a better driver all around.

If I had em (and I knew the specs were accurate), I'd consider building the LilWrecker instead, but they should work OK in the Micro if the specs are correct and the cabinet size is a better fit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23276845

Well - using the supplied specs, they both may work. The 152 looks a bit better than the 154, though they are both a bit light on motor.

Unless I had them already, I'd pass and just buy the Alpine Type S 15, cause it is cheaper, it offers more throw, and it is just a better driver all around.

If I had em (and I knew the specs were accurate), I'd consider building the LilWrecker instead, but they should work OK in the Micro if the specs are correct and the cabinet size is a better fit.

thanks lil mike, im propably going with the kickers , u did say they do handle the full 1k w rms in the micro wrecker correct?

any idea of the spl difference between the type s and the kicker in the micro wrecker ?

i want to build them which ever driver will give me the most spl

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just to give u guys an idea of how ill be using these

unfortunately my iphone really screws up the audio, it completely wipes out any LF and distorts everything else when the volume is up

heres a video with my old htc phone , much better sound but crappy video go figure

looking forward to getting these cabs built and having useable response below 35-40 hz as thats were my current 18's really fall off at

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davece  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23276943

thanks lil mike, im propably going with the kickers , u did say they do handle the full 1k w rms in the micro wrecker correct?

any idea of the spl difference between the type s and the kicker in the micro wrecker ?

i want to build them which ever driver will give me the most spl

Well - wired as an 8 ohm load, I've had no issues at all with mine, and I get all the lights lit on my iNuke 3000 bridged into the one.

That was the day I was blowing out candles.

I am running a 48 dB/oct. 20 Hz highpass. Sure, I smell a bit of warm varnish from time to time, but I've run this one plenty hard with no drama. I don't gig with it though - it is in my home theater system.

For SPL - really - it is an easy answer. Regardless of the driver used, just build as many cabinets as you can afford to.

Since I can't really afford the elite drivers, my rule of thumb is that once past about 120 dB per cabinet, it is time to start thinking about adding another cabinet.

The Type S is only about 3 dB down from the Kicker at fill tilt, but there are options that may be even better than the Kicker driver.

I have CVXs already, and limited "fun" money, so I used the CVXs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for the cost of 2 kickers and the materials , i could build 4 microwreckers witht he aplines so thats what im going to do.

i have enough material here to build 2 but unfortunately work got in the way this weekend of getting started on them.

im hoping to get a start on them after this week. i run the billing dept at work and being the first week of the month this week im going to be pretty tied up

at the end of the week im going to pick up more materials to build 4, ill prolly get all 4 drivers ordered today or tommorow

my last question is is there a difference between the dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm alpine s 15's

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davece  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23282347

for the cost of 2 kickers and the materials , i could build 4 microwreckers witht he aplines so thats what im going to do.

i have enough material here to build 2 but unfortunately work got in the way this weekend of getting started on them.

im hoping to get a start on them after this week. i run the billing dept at work and being the first week of the month this week im going to be pretty tied up

at the end of the week im going to pick up more materials to build 4, ill prolly get all 4 drivers ordered today or tommorow

my last question is is there a difference between the dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm alpine s 15's

Both model fine. Use the one that fits your amp situation best.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23285763

Both model fine. Use the one that fits your amp situation best.
ok figured id ask if there was a diference before i ordered them since any of my amps can easily over power the alpines

im going to get 4 2ohm alpine s's and wire them 2 cabs per channel( 2 ohm load) on my amp , this will give 1100 w rms per channel so about 525w rms per speaker , should really limit me from being tempted to really crank on them to hard, this will also free up the second amp for backup duty or if i just need to build more cabs lmao

i have a feeling 4 cabs should be more then enough though

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guess i should update this i got my alpines in just havent had time to start building the boxes, im hoping tommorow i can get started, would be really nice to have theese done for a gig i have this weekend

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i got one almost done , so far im in 2 hours and this is what ive got done , oh yeah my local store wanted way to much for the birch plywood so i went with osb instead.

dont mind my lack of tools lmao, i did get all the wood cut at my local hardware store though , and the guy managed to get every cut dead on

taking a break for a lil while but im going to finish this one tonight , i have a feeling its going to make its way into my truck to see how it does as a car audio sub box, if its good im going to build one just for the truck as well

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23370154

I don't think you're supposed to use chip board to build those, 3/4 arauco ply at a minimum as far as I know.

But hey, if it works- more power to you!

lilmike said osb would be better then mdf , so far its gone together the screws hold tight and nothing is twisting or cracking so i think it will be fine , specially once the bracing is in place,

my local hardware store/lumber mill wanted 75 bucks a sheet for birch plywood , so for my first one i said screw it and went witht he osb , this way if i did screw it up somehow i wouldnt be out a ton of money

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alls i can say is wow , 2 of these will deffinatly do , right now i have the first hooked up and it kills my pair of 18's , and to top it off the speaker isnt fully broken in yet.

even though 2 will be more then enough im deff building 3 more , guess i better order 2 more 15's lol

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13  /t/1471109/my-microwrecker-build-with-either-kicker-cvx-15-or-pa-mofo-152x-154x#post_23370154

I don't think you're supposed to use chip board to build those, 3/4 arauco ply at a minimum as far as I know.

But hey, if it works- more power to you!

Look up the actual specs of the material. In the same thickness, OSB is nearly as stiff as plywood, and far stiffer than MDF or chipboard.

I use it for prototyping all the time. It just doesn't take a typical finish well.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts