AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful home theatre, mostly constructed following the advice of people on the AVS Forum. My CRT p rojector throws a beautiful picture. The audio astounds. The lighting is stunning. My two year old is not impressed, however. Indeed, he has but one need:

Elmo.

Yes, folks, it's come to this: we have Sesame Street episodes piling up on my DirecTivo, and it's time to do something with them...perhaps get them to DVD...somehow. In addition, we have some analog Hi8 tapes of above 2 year old that I'd like to get onto DVD soon....before baby #2 in January.

In a perfect world, I'd somehow transfer the shows from TiVo to the computer. That can't be done, and if it can be, I won't do it. I'm guessing I can use a DVD Recorder, use the "Save to VCR" function in TiVo, dump it to DVD, then somehow edit things up on the computer so I can save only Elmo and his little world. I've dabbled with video editing on the computer, so I can do that part. It's getting the video TO the computer that's the problem.

Any recommendations? Models? A specific workflow? Am I crazy? Do I have "Elmo-on-the-brain?"

Thanks!

Kris

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Buy a DVD recorder with a hard drive. "save to VCR" from the directivo hard drive to the DVD recorder hard drive. Edit on the hard drive and burn to DVD. Or, if your 2 year old doesn't mind watching commercials, just burn direct from Directivo to DVD.

I have Directivo and a Pioneer 520. Works like a charm. Has a DV input/output for camcorder transfer, where you can control the camcorde as you edit with the 520 remote. You can autorecord from satellite on line 1, so you don't need the TV Guide on screen system if you don't want it.

If you can't find a 520, the Pioneer 533 is its successor, 80 gb hard drive, or Pioneer 633 with a 160gb hard drive. You'll get the TV Guide on screen with those. Those with sat dishes tend to think that TVGOS gets in the way and is unnecessary, some have found a way to disable it or work around it.

Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony also make hard drive models--read the threads for issues.

By the way, since you don't have a digital camcorder, you don't necessarily need a DV (firewire) input, so a recorder without a DV in would do, which means you should also consider the Pioneer 531 which is about $337 at Walmart. If you plan on getting a Digital camcorder soon, you may want the DV input. You can always transfer camcorder video by S video.

With a hard drive recorder, you don't need to do computer editing unless you really want to get sophisticated. Your 2 year old probably won't know the difference.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony also make hard drive models--read the threads for issues.
I'm sure you meant to say "read the threads for capabilities. :D

RG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.