AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Well, after eight years of trouble-free service, my Mits has finally got the "flashing green light of death".

It all happened early yesterday evening when I was watching a Blu-Ray when my building where I live had a momentary power outage (it happens but not very often). When the power came back, the "flashing green light" began.

The set will not turn on manually, or by remote. I even tried to reset it, and even unpluged it for about two hours, the flashing light remains.

I already know about things like the "DM board" and it's capacitor issues. In fact, I actually have a spare "DM board" with new capacitors that I've replaced myself and it works (I've tested it on another TV), but I will not have the time to work with it until this weekend.

When I do get to put this board on and the set will still not work, I wouldn't know what else to do but to get rid of this beast of a set.

Any other suggestion?

Danny

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Email Mitsubishi and tell them your story, you never know what could happen. But, 8 years is a lot so you might be out of luck and it would be cheaper to but a new set. You can get the 73" for under $1k now!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would take that set over anything on the market today.

As far as Mitsu, I am sure the DM has been discontinued. But replacing the caps has fixed about 90% of the cases I seen with those.

Good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
Look through the repair 'sticky' at the top of the sub-forum page as it's been discussed elsewhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well people, I finally did a "DM" swap (my spare DM box came from a Mits WS-55859, BTW) with the TV just about a little more than a half hour ago.

Once I made sure that everything is plugged in right from the chassis to DM box, I plugged in the set. It gave me the same flashing green light, but it eventually went out about over a minute, later. Pushed the Power On button of the set and:

It came on!! The set is alive, again!

I'm going to leave it on for a while longer just before I start putting the rest of the stuff back together, again.

I'm going to keep the original "DM' box and look it over and see if I can replace the caps on that one, and probably put it back on the set, just to see if it will work.

Further Update:

Just out of curiosity, I decided to take the "DM" box out of the tv, open the box, and swap the internal "DM" power board on it, instead (since that's the board with the newly installed capacitors). Put it back together, and reinstalled the original "DM" box back into the set.

It works!

I did this just to make sure that it was just the "DM Power" board that was bad, and not the other boards in the box. Now, I can be at ease to replace the caps on that board and test it in due time, now that I know the rest of the boards in the box do work.

Now, if only I can update the firmware.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, guys! I hope this inspire others to keep their sets a little bit longer, especially if this is all it took to get it to work, again.

Danny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts