AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 year old mother is visiting from back east and I was quite amused at her reaction to seeing HDTV for the first time:

When she first saw a closeup, she said "Arghh, I can see all of his facial pores and everything!"

So I changed to another channel which coincidentally had another closeup, she was also disgusted and said "that guy really needs to floss!"

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
It is always interesting how different people react. I like to wait and see without telling my guest that they are watching HD. During the holidays I had some family and friends over and had a CBSHD NFL game on. My brother and nephew had the "WOW" reaction and are looking into getting hooked up with HDTV. The female guests didn't see the big deal even after I flipped to SD. I try to get my wife to watch some of her shows in HD but she doesn't care.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dm145
It is always interesting how different people react. I like to wait and see without telling my guest that they are watching HD. During the holidays I had some family and friends over and had a CBSHD NFL game on. My brother and nephew had the "WOW" reaction and are looking into getting hooked up with HDTV. The female guests didn't see the big deal even after I flipped to SD. I try to get my wife to watch some of her shows in HD but she doesn't care.
This always amazes me when you can show someone an HD broadcast and then switch to the SD version. More pronounced on 'video' HD of course compared to the 'filmed' HD, but dramatic nonetheless. How can people see these side by side and not prefer the HD version without question?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My son and his wife came for the Holidays and we watched some HD football. They're still talking about it and lusting for HD.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife can clearly see the difference between HD and SD. She just doesn't care. Its just not important to her. But she knows that I care about HDTV and so indulges me.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmb
My wife can clearly see the difference between HD and SD. She just doesn't care. Its just not important to her. But she knows that I care about HDTV and so indulges me.
I understand that there are folks to whom it is not a big deal, but when you have the choice of an HD broadcast and an SD broadcast of the same show, which clearly are of different quality, then I can't understand why some people would not choose to watch the HD version, especially in those cases where all it entails is to switch to the HD channel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmb
LOL!!! Same here....

·
Registered
18,854 Posts
My father's 75- these things just never mattered much to him. He's always had a hard time with technology- he's afraid of it.

When the building I grew up in went from a door buzzer (1 button) to an intercom system, he just couldn't adjust to it. (Mind you there are 3 buttons- Talk, Listen, and Door)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmb
Sounds like my wife.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My wife is the same way. She just doesn't care whether it's in HDTV or not. I want to replace the TV in our main family room with HDTV, and she threatens me if I do. I have an HDTV in the basement, but I don't like being alone all the time. It must be a female thing.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hmb
Ditto.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Mine doesn't really care either. Which means convincing her that a new 65" DLP is a really good idea will be much harder. Maybe when the NASCAR season starts and I can get the FOX races in ED, and she can see her precious Jeff Gordon(AHHHHH!), she may change her mind.

In any case, the DTC-100 will be on Flea-bay as soon as I can get my hands on a HD DirecTivo.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.